BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #23
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4282
Tbh if your looking to lower your m4 (camber upgrades etc)and add any type of performance exhaust (not the "sport exhaust" that the zcp comes with) there is no need to get the ZCP package. And get a software tune to the MDM You'll be wasting your money.

Now if your not looking to do anything related to the above mods and just want it as is or maybe some "cosmetic" mods then go for ZCP. It's as simple as that!

Either trust then BMW mods on the ZCP and do nothing or save the 5500 and put it towards your own mods on a non ZCP.

Outside of that to each his own.....

Full disclosure I have a non ZCP and I am upgrading the camber, springs and toe links so I knew the ZCP price wasn't for me. The only thing I wish they could add a la carte is the "sports exhaust" as to be honest even the MPE doesn't do much for gains individually unless paired with a broader engine tune and CAI and inter cooler. But agree with all I miss the sound.... But hey otherwise it's great

Heck the sports exhaust on the ZCP should be half the cost of the MPE at best! If anyone knows if you can replace the current stock exhaust on a non ZCP with a sports exhaust that comes with ZCP I'd be interested in the part number as again power gains with out full engine tune on an MPE are negligible, it's either all in or nothing
THIS!!!

In general manufacturers "performance packages" are over priced for what they are (they are just trying to maximize profits) and you can do much better in the aftermarket world.

HOWEVER, for the guys that just want to stay stock and never touch anything it makes sense, but as a performance guy, I would rather add better aftermarket components (especially in the suspension area).
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #24
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4 w/Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4282
Tbh if your looking to lower your m4 (camber upgrades etc)and add any type of performance exhaust (not the "sport exhaust" that the zcp comes with) there is no need to get the ZCP package. And get a software tune to the MDM You'll be wasting your money.

Now if your not looking to do anything related to the above mods and just want it as is or maybe some "cosmetic" mods then go for ZCP. It's as simple as that!

Either trust then BMW mods on the ZCP and do nothing or save the 5500 and put it towards your own mods on a non ZCP.

Full disclosure I have a non ZCP and I am upgrading the camber, springs and toe links so I knew the ZCP price wasn't for me. The only thing I wish they could add a la carte is the "sports exhaust" as to be honest even the MPE doesn't do much for gains individually unless paired with a broader engine tune and CAI and inter cooler. But agree with all I miss the sound.... But hey otherwise it's great

Heck the sports exhaust on the ZCP should be half the cost of the MPE at best! If anyone knows if you can replace the current stock exhaust on a non ZCP with a sports exhaust that comes with ZCP I'd be interested in the part number as again power gains with out full engine tune on an MPE are negligible, it's either all in or nothing
THIS!!!

In general manufacturers "performance packages" are over priced for what they are (they are just trying to maximize profits) and you can do much better in the aftermarket world.

HOWEVER, for the guys that just want to stay stock and never touch anything it makes sense, but as a performance guy, I would rather add better aftermarket components (especially in the suspension area).
I have to completely agree - suspension set ups should be the first priority on this car before any and all power tunes including bolt on's. The car really needs this to be able to put the already over abundance of power it has for it chassis in its current state.

It's like buying a closet full of "Armani suits" and then accepting a job that requires you to work from home 100% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #25
diddytop
Rep
Drives: e60 m5 f82 m4

If I had to order again I would def get the comp pack if it was available when I purchased it would be in my driveway well worth the 5k esp when u see aftermarket exhausts goin for 4-5k alone
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #26
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by M370z View Post
Something definitely took a turn from a journalistic perspective with the F8x though. I owned an e92 M3 and I never remember it getting the vitriol that the F8x gets. And IMO, the F8x is a better car, so I just don't get it. .
It's pretty easy to get views by putting out a review that's critical of the F80, especially since competition has come far

Good lesson for BMW to equip cars from the factory to make owners and journos feel like heroes (more useful electronic assists, better sound, better rear traction) and move away from controversial things (active sound). Those would have made it a lot harder to bash the car
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #27
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

As the OP, I fee an obligation to state that I have no bias here, as I actually have a M3 with ZCP on order. I just found the this article interesting for the fact that it turns pretty much every other review of the ZCP on their head.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #28
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4282 View Post

One other viewpoint on that - lease or own. Modding is all fine and dandy for people who own, or people who lease and don't mind the hassle of "de-modding" their car before turn-in, but the ZCP has big appeal to the lease sector of the market who wanted better handling and traction over the standard, without the hassles of reversing any mods before returning it.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      09-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #29
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
As the OP, I fee an obligation to state that I have no bias here, as I actually have a M3 with ZCP on order. I just found the this article interesting for the fact that it turns pretty much every other review of the ZCP on their head.
And maybe that's just to attract attention, and traffic, and thus make more money from ads. Could be "click-bait" knowing that the argument rages on between ZCP and non-ZCP owners.
Appreciate 1
z335is356.00
      09-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #30
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I have to completely agree - suspension set ups should be the first priority on this car before any and all power tunes including bolt on's. The car really needs this to be able to put the already over abundance of power it has for it chassis in its current state.
Interestingly, my Civic non-CP M4 on stock suspension had absolutely no problems putting the power down at the track when shod with its 305/35R18 NT01 track shoes

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 06:00 PM   #31
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

I ordered my car without checking any boxes. Didn't get it YET, but I know I did right thing. And I know I'm going to like it.

1. It's going to be only daily driver. I will keep it longer. It will be easier on repairs (less stuff to break)
2. I love cloth seats. I had E39 540i6 and E53 X5 before and just don't care about leather anymore. I like cloth in my current Accord. Much better in summer, more practical for me.
3. I don't like to repair low profile wheels. I don't like to buy expensive rubber. I like little more comfort when driving daily.
4. I don't like to spend lot's of money for something that's not going to be used daily
5. I really want BMW(miss my 540i) and I wanted WHITE car. I have to have manual gearbox and 4 door(kids).

So, thanks to BMW not making manual cars anymore - I'm going to be driving M3

Base M3 gives me more than I ever wanted in sedan. And when people discuss exhaust sound - seriously? Listen to Tesla exhaust sound and say thank you

Last edited by katit; 09-03-2016 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #32
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Interestingly, my Civic non-CP M4 on stock suspension had absolutely no problems putting the power down at the track when shod with its 305/35R18 NT01 track shoes
The M I'm sure does great on the track with its prepped surface, it's on the street in the real world with less than optimal surfaces that the suspension falls on its face.

You know my view of it already, but rebound control is very weak in this car and the rear-end gets unsettled very easily under heavy braking as well.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #33
jrb
Rep
Drives: '98 M3, '06 550, '09 911S

"One other viewpoint on that - lease or own. Modding is all fine and dandy for people who own, or people who lease and don't mind the hassle of "de-modding" their car before turn-in, but the ZCP has big appeal to the lease sector of the market who wanted better handling and traction over the standard, without the hassles of reversing any mods before returning it."

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #34
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katit
I ordered my car without checking any boxes. Didn't get it YET, but I know I did right thing. And I know I'm going to like it.

1. It's going to be only daily driver. I will keep it longer. It will be easier on repairs (less stuff to brake)
2. I love cloth seats. I had E39 540i6 and E53 X5 before and just don't care about leather anymore. I like cloth in my current Accord. Much better in summer, more practical for me.
3. I don't like to repair low profile wheels. I don't like to buy expensive rubber. I like little more comfort when driving daily.
4. I don't like to spend lot's of money for something that's not going to be used daily
5. I really want BMW(miss my 540i) and I wanted WHITE car. I have to have manual gearbox and 4 door(kids).

Base M3 gives me more than I ever wanted in sedan. And when people discuss exhaust sound - seriously? Listen to Tesla exhaust sound and say thank you
Yeah I always thought the supposed sound issue with he F8x was a bit overblown (no pun intended).
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #35
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katit View Post
Not sure I follow you there... BMW do make manual cars...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #36
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I guess I don't know how to look? But if you go to bwmusa.com and "build" car - there is no 3+ series sedans with manual

I need sedan with manual. My choice would be something like 535i 6sp, but no, they don't offer it anymore. I was really confused when I didn't see any 3 series with manual either.. And they started to make those weird 4 cylinder cars.

Here we go M3! I think it will be just right.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #37
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by katit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I guess I don't know how to look? But if you go to bwmusa.com and "build" car - there is no 3+ series sedans with manual

I need sedan with manual. My choice would be something like 535i 6sp, but no, they don't offer it anymore. I was really confused when I didn't see any 3 series with manual either.. And they started to make those weird 4 cylinder cars.

Here we go M3! I think it will be just right.
It's under options and a no-cost option. So BMW offer manuals on 3 and 4 series as well, not only M cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #38
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
It's under options and a no-cost option. So BMW offer manuals on 3 and 4 series as well, not only M cars.
I see it now... Not on 535i though. But you know what? I'm happy I'm getting M3
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #39
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katit View Post
I see it now... Not on 535i though. But you know what? I'm happy I'm getting M3
Yeah - 5 and up you're SOL if you want a 6MT in an non-M car. As mentioned - 3 and 4 series it's still an option.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #40
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

M driver on m driver hate threads always bring out the "best" in the forum. Ranked in order of general vitriol between participants are
E9x v f8x which is better
M3 v m4 which looks better
Interior and exterior color combos
ZCP v non ZCP who made the better choice
Appreciate 4
Powerslide1098.50
duky1316.50
theriz405.50
SakhirM410784.50
      09-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #41
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack View Post
M driver on m driver hate threads always bring out the "best" in the forum. Ranked in order of general vitriol between participants are
Well yeah, otherwise we would run out of stuff to talk about... I mean, it's just a car.
duky1316.50
      09-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #42
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrsteve View Post
I mean, it's just a car.
Blasphemy!!
      09-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #43
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack View Post
Nope.

ZCP has pissed off a lot of people. The hatred and anger is real. E9x vs F8x is also heated, but moot - F8x is better . Likewise the M3 vs M4 battle - it rages on, but as most polls state, M3 is better. End of story. And as for the interior/exterior combos - all that proves is that 99% of us lack taste. Completely.
Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
      09-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #44
Yeru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB E92 M3 ZCP

I'm a "buy towards the end of the ///M lifecycle" consumer-type; ZCP is therefore the only option I consider as it touches the "Goldilocks" zone direct from the factory.