R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

AA midpipe with active sound

Hey all odd question. So I have the active sound enabled (don't hate me). Was thinking about getting the aa midpipe but was wondering if that would sound odd paired with the active sound. Does anyone have this combo? I would think most people have theirs disabled when they start adding after market exhausts but curious if anyone still has theirs enabled with a midpipe and how it sounds.

Thank you
      02-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
ext
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 45e, 2018 F80 M3

Doesn’t sound odd to me. Just get the midpipe and see for yourself. The midpipe was my by far favorite addition to the car! With active sound on or off, it will still be a highly recommended mod.

My exhaust is stock zcp, with aa midpipe. My active sound hasn’t been disabled.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
NTMR_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Imola Red M3 ZCP

I have AA mid with Remus sport back w/ active sound on (for now) and I don't notice anything that sounds off.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

I have AA midpipe with active sound on and love it.

I did not like it with active sound off. So I flicked it back on.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 12:43 AM   #5
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
I have AA midpipes with MPE ... i unplugged the ASD after a couple of weeks so I can hear real tone. Sounds good with it off so I never put it back on. I honestly dont miss it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi E92 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
Hey all odd question. So I have the active sound enabled (don't hate me). Was thinking about getting the aa midpipe but was wondering if that would sound odd paired with the active sound. Does anyone have this combo? I would think most people have theirs disabled when they start adding after market exhausts but curious if anyone still has theirs enabled with a midpipe and how it sounds.

Thank you
This is why I haven't done anything with my zcp exhaust. Some exhaust videos I have heard with in active sound In-cabin and exhaust synced sound out of key or something.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
Quote:

Thank you
This is why I haven't done anything with my zcp exhaust. Some exhaust videos I have heard with in active sound In-cabin and exhaust synced sound out of key or something.
That is my concern that they synced the sound to the exhaust it comes with so if when that is changed I'm worried it won't be synced up right.
      02-20-2019, 09:22 PM   #8
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Appreciate the feedback, anyone else running the midpipe or any aftermarket exhaust for that matter with active sound enabled? Curious to get more feedback. I feel like they would have tuned the exhaust note to the active sound so changing the exhaust would make the active sound not be synced up properly, but could be overthinking it.

Thank you all again!
      02-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #9
NTMR_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Imola Red M3 ZCP

Quote:
I feel like they would have tuned the exhaust note to the active sound so changing the exhaust would make the active sound not be synced up properly, but I AM 100% overthinking it.

Thank you all again!
Just pull the trigger and enjoy a less raspy note
Justin.AutoTalent help this man out
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:59 AM   #10
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback, anyone else running the midpipe or any aftermarket exhaust for that matter with active sound enabled? Curious to get more feedback. I feel like they would have tuned the exhaust note to the active sound so changing the exhaust would make the active sound not be synced up properly, but could be overthinking it.

Thank you all again!
Active Sound plays the sounds from the engine not the exhaust, so it really won't change the synchronization. It specifically reproduces the engine's sound through the car's audio system at varying sound levels based on throttle input, speed, and engine revs, as well driving the mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMR_M3 View Post
Just pull the trigger and enjoy a less raspy note
Justin.AutoTalent help this man out
Yessir
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you all, very helpful!
      02-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

Quote:

Thank you
Hey dude your timing is a bit off! I literally just unplugged active sound last weekend from my AA mid+ zcp rear. But you are welcome to hear the "after" in person maybe this wknd!

Disconnected Active Sound. OMG! What a difference! https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1228462
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #13
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrro View Post
Quote:

Thank you
Hey dude your timing is a bit off! I literally just unplugged active sound last weekend from my AA mid+ zcp rear. But you are welcome to hear the "after" in person maybe this wknd!

Disconnected Active Sound. OMG! What a difference! https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1228462
Thanks man! I remember hearing you rev yours since I know you have the mid pipe. Do you have any extra drone on the highway with the valves in the open position?
      02-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #14
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrro View Post
Quote:

Thank you

Thanks man! I remember hearing you rev yours since I know you have the mid pipe. Do you have any extra drone on the highway with the valves in the open position?
No drone with valves open (with or without active sound). Only exception is cold start in indoor garage which sounds a bit obnoxious/awesome
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #15
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

You were all right it sounds great! Not that much louder than stock, but much deeper and an all around better sound which is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all again!
      04-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #16
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:
You were all right it sounds great! Not that much louder than stock, but much deeper and an all around better sound which is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all again!
It gets better and louder as it breaks in

Great mod, glad to hear you're enjoying it!

If you want just a little bit more sound, next step is axle back, if you want a lot louder... Downpipes!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Thank you
We have active sound with aa midpipe and stock axle back, it sounds really good

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #18
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTMR_M3 View Post
I have AA mid with Remus sport back w/ active sound on (for now) and I don't notice anything that sounds off.
Same for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #19
Gtracer
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS, 2021 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

Thank you
We have active sound with aa midpipe and stock axle back, it sounds really good
Same with my 18' I have AA midpipe and it's one of my favorite mods I've done to any car in the last few years. Really makes the exhaust sound like it should with ZCP rear muffler