Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-16-2020, 01:19 AM   #45
DLag30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3 & F36

I also have the 3DM OHLINS kit with 8k/16k rates. I find it perfect for what I use the car for(Street and spirited canyon driving). I did however ran into installation problems with the front. I needed to cut more threads for the top nut. I used a m12x1.25 die, which is hard to find locally so order it online prior to installing. Besides that, I have nothing but great things to say about the 3DM kit. I believe you can order the kit with your desired spring rates and can be revalved no extra charge.

I also have a e8x on koni yellows with coilovers conversion kit using comparable spring rates. I find that a little soft in dampening but great as a daily.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 04:43 AM   #46
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
The 3DM Roadsport kit looks intriguing, but those spring rates seem a little too aggressive in rear. Anyone run this kit? Does Öhlins allow you to specify spring rates? What would be good rates for daily driver that may see a handful of track days.
in Sweden Öhlins rebuilds the rear shocks for free. The shorten the damper body by 30mm and change the rear springs to 190 N/mm so basically you get the M2 rear suspension setup. I asked them about going softer on the springs but they do not like that as the dampers aren't made for that and i guess it has with approval for road use to do. they haven't been tested on cars with softer springs and that makes them unapproved for road use and also guarantee on the parts. You can buy them separately at you own risk so to speak but Öhlins will not include them in a kit. They also said that when they developed these kits the made them on the firm side by purpose.
Appreciate 0