Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

11-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #177
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
I can agree with some of your points, but disagree overall.

also, as a point of clarification, Melbourne is a metallic point. while I agree that Yas Marina is quite feminine and cheapens the look of the car, I disagree vehemently with the same being said of Laguna Seca. I still think that's one of the best colors ever offered by BMW, even though it's admittedly not for everyone.

+1... I do agree that YMB is a huge fail based on what we have seen here (I will however, reserve judgement until i see it in person although i'm very skeptical that my opinion will change). I'm realllly disappointed that they didn't offer Santorini or Estoril again. But yes, BMW is definitely in business to make money and the individual program does just that.

Can only hope they release the comp package in something good!!!
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #178
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
+1... I do agree that YMB is a huge fail based on what we have seen here (I will however, reserve judgement until i see it in person although i'm very skeptical that my opinion will change). I'm realllly disappointed that they didn't offer Santorini or Estoril again. But yes, BMW is definitely in business to make money and the individual program does just that.

Can only hope they release the comp package in something good!!!
Santorini is beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #179
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Santorini is beautiful.
I'll be ordering santorini most likely, if it's not offered as a special edition or comp package.

BMW wins... lol
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #180
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
I'll be ordering santorini most likely, if it's not offered as a special edition or comp package.

BMW wins... lol
Both of you win.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #181
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post
Sorry Scott, but no change in lighting is going to make YMB anything but strikingly unattractive and ill-fitted for an M car. There are going to be plenty of people that lap this color up just like there were plenty of lunatics that purchased Laguna Seca Blue. Just because people buy the color, doesn't mean that it's well-suited for the car's aesthetic. Let's look at atrocious stock color selection for the E92 M3, and keep in mind that I spent a ton of time with each color on many paint corrections:

Alpine White - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Jet Black - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Jerez Black - Black w/ blue metallic flakes, too similar to Jet Black, essence of color only visible under direct sunlight
Interlagos Blue - Dark blue that only looks attractive under direct sunlight, overlaps with LeMans
LeMans Blue - Too similar to Interlagos (dark blue), not particularly interesting and fairly bland, overlaps with Interlagos
Melbourne Red - Possibly the most dull and lifeless color ever introduced on a BMW. Bland and slightly maroon in tone make it unfitting for an M car
Silverstone II - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Sparkling Graphite - A dull, dark grey w/ little personality, overlaps to some degree w/ Space Grey
Space Gray - A masculine, aggressive metallic color that brought out the beautiful lines of the M3.

And now here we go again with a color selection that is bland, unattractive, and ill-matched with the M4's styling. A color shouldn't have to be seen under "specific lighting conditions" in order to be attractive. A color should look fantastic in the dark, under direct sunlight, and under overcast skies.

When will BMW finally grow a pair and offer a stock color selection that has some spirit and aggression in it? Oh right, probably never because that would steal the thunder of much of the Individual line. It worked on me: I bought a Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3. That was a color that fit the styling of the car to a tee.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're saying "Either buy this vomit-inducing color or spend $5,000."

Sometimes I never understand the thought process behind a lot of BMW's decisions. You guys have the intelligence, taste, and talent to engineer a work of art like the M4, and then completely drop the ball when it comes to one of the most important elements of car design: Color selection. And I would be shocked to hear that there's any sort of exhaustive selection process behind these colors such as focus groups or internal polling. How come BMW M can't choose a color palette for the M3 that suits the car's styling: aggressive but not excessive, classy, and refined. The E36 might have been the last generation of M3s that had a decent color palette to choose from.

But none of this matters because BMW will continue to keep the decent colors behind the Individual paywall. That's a choice that I'm sure will net BMW a few more dollars, but does absolutely nothing for the people that have stuck with the brand for some time. This kind of behavior is exactly the reason my next car will be a Tesla Model S.
I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

In fact, I posted a very similar response. Great minds think alike: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=251

People are always overly excited about new colors when M3's debut. Then, after a few years, the majority of those who thought they were being "trendy" and "edgy" are left with a color they want to get rid of at all costs. And many times they can't - easily - because nobody wants it!

I've seen this trend for the last 10+ years. At the end of the day, the more desirable colors on M3's have always been:

(1) Alpine White
(2) Black
(3) Gray

Ironically, the colors people dislike the most are:

(1) Phoenix yellow
(2) Laguna seca blue (vomit!)
(3) Red

That's not to say that the latter colors won't sell. At the end of the day, there's a buyer for everything. We can argue about whether the buyer has taste or not, but that's completely irrelevant.

These are my personal observations from the last 10 or so years, be it friends trying to sell their M3's, co-wokers wanting to buy, etc.

In the last 8 years of ownership, I couldn't tell you the number of times I have been approached about the sale of or complemented on my factory slicktop 2004 6-MT low mileage AW M3. By far the most desirable and difficult combo to find today based on my experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #182
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

Doooood...! What color is this?:

11-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #183
I Love BMW's
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post

Not sure, but I'd buy it! Love the Z8's!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #184
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by d47m122 View Post
You're not. Why couldn't it be the Monte Carlo blue from the M5?
Monte Carlo is a fantastic color. Not really digging the Yas.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #185
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post
Sorry Scott, but no change in lighting is going to make YMB anything but strikingly unattractive and ill-fitted for an M car. There are going to be plenty of people that lap this color up just like there were plenty of lunatics that purchased Laguna Seca Blue. Just because people buy the color, doesn't mean that it's well-suited for the car's aesthetic. Let's look at atrocious stock color selection for the E92 M3, and keep in mind that I spent a ton of time with each color on many paint corrections:

Alpine White - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Jet Black - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Jerez Black - Black w/ blue metallic flakes, too similar to Jet Black, essence of color only visible under direct sunlight
Interlagos Blue - Dark blue that only looks attractive under direct sunlight, overlaps with LeMans
LeMans Blue - Too similar to Interlagos (dark blue), not particularly interesting and fairly bland, overlaps with Interlagos
Melbourne Red - Possibly the most dull and lifeless color ever introduced on a BMW. Bland and slightly maroon in tone make it unfitting for an M car
Silverstone II - Essential but basic color that many will buy
Sparkling Graphite - A dull, dark grey w/ little personality, overlaps to some degree w/ Space Grey
Space Gray - A masculine, aggressive metallic color that brought out the beautiful lines of the M3.

And now here we go again with a color selection that is bland, unattractive, and ill-matched with the M4's styling. A color shouldn't have to be seen under "specific lighting conditions" in order to be attractive. A color should look fantastic in the dark, under direct sunlight, and under overcast skies.

When will BMW finally grow a pair and offer a stock color selection that has some spirit and aggression in it? Oh right, probably never because that would steal the thunder of much of the Individual line. It worked on me: I bought a Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3. That was a color that fit the styling of the car to a tee.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're saying "Either buy this vomit-inducing color or spend $5,000."

Sometimes I never understand the thought process behind a lot of BMW's decisions. You guys have the intelligence, taste, and talent to engineer a work of art like the M4, and then completely drop the ball when it comes to one of the most important elements of car design: Color selection. And I would be shocked to hear that there's any sort of exhaustive selection process behind these colors such as focus groups or internal polling. How come BMW M can't choose a color palette for the M3 that suits the car's styling: aggressive but not excessive, classy, and refined. The E36 might have been the last generation of M3s that had a decent color palette to choose from.

But none of this matters because BMW will continue to keep the decent colors behind the Individual paywall. That's a choice that I'm sure will net BMW a few more dollars, but does absolutely nothing for the people that have stuck with the brand for some time. This kind of behavior is exactly the reason my next car will be a Tesla Model S.

I am thrilled that BMW is offering M-exclusive colors. I am not thrilled that 2 out of these 3 colors (Yellow and Orange) look like they belong on a Lambo driven in Dubai. The third, Yas Marina, I am still on the fence on. The pictures in this thread are not encouraging, however.

I think BMW limits color offerings because we see how popular AW (which has always appeared very dull and plain, sorry) and Black are. But what are the alternatives, using the 335i as an example? Liquid Blue Metallic? Mojave Metallic? Melbourne Red? These colors are atrocious. No wonder people stick with the grays and whites and blacks.

The interior options from BMW are still exciting, however, and I cannot wait to see what a Yas Marina + Silvestone interior might look like.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #186
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Loafers for any ///M
Attached Images

11-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #187
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
Loafers for any ///M

Brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #188
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post

I think that's the special Alpina Blue. I haven't seen it on any non-Alpina cars. I love it, too!
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #189
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

Yeah I'd be very pleased with that color.
      11-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #190
jerseygirl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAM951 View Post
that's the color that I want for my M3 sedan
i preferr the Lemans blue on an M3
Appreciate 0