European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #23
M3SQRD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,R56 S,F22 240iX,F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Really not that terrible on pricing for the mcs. Im trying to decide myself between the TC Klines and the MCS 1WNR. With about a dozen track days a year and regular street use.
MCS 1WNR with digressive valving option
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #24
Mintsopoulos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
MCS 1WNR with digressive valving option
Just sent them an email for a complete quote.

Also looking to see how much height adjustment is available.

I plan on doing about 8-12 AutoX days a year.
      12-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #25
parabmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Is it recommended to go with rear true coilover setup?
What's the advantages?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #26
M3SQRD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Just sent them an email for a complete quote.

Also looking to see how much height adjustment is available.

I plan on doing about 8-12 AutoX days a year.
There’s way more useable range than what you should need. The front height adjustment range will be affected by the use of a long main spring only, shorter spring with helper or shorter spring with tender.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #27
M3SQRD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
Is it recommended to go with rear true coilover setup?
What's the advantages?
The f82 rear damper mounting point on the chassis is capable of supporting the damper and spring loads. Previous M3 generations needed to be stiffened and strengthened with a roll/full cage tied into the rear towers As for a coilover setup, there’s a small but definitely noticeable difference for more experienced drivers. I’d say it’s something you’d do if you were going for that last ~5% or so of on-track performance. For a primarily street driven car it is fine to go with the OEM divorced spring-damper setup but it’s really up to you. Other high-end damper manufactures (Nitron, Tractive, Moton, Ohlins TTX, etc.) that deliver fully assembled suspensions use a coilover setup, for whatever that’s worth.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #28
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 AW 6MT

Quote:
What is the best overall dual purpose coilovers with the least amount of headaches like install issues or noise?
Modest drop with good damping and better than stock. 1 or 2 track days per yr
jrz and ohlins rt have good reviews
For ohlins which springs?
There is a new modified ohlins coilover setup modified by 3DM motorsports that my car was the test dummy for. Its about a grand cheaper than the normal ohlins setup. Works great for me. Ride is totally fine and its killer on track. Shaved about 3 seconds off my time at VIR full. I'm hitting 2:08s all day long (which is pretty damn quick if you know that track) and part of my track setup is pulling my kids car seats out the back. I have no financial interest by the way. https://3dmmotorsport.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #29
Mintsopoulos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

FYI...youre looking at about $4900 w/ EDC Cancellation for a set of MCS. Just got the quote.
      12-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #30
parabmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigaster View Post
There is a new modified ohlins coilover setup modified by 3DM motorsports that my car was the test dummy for. Its about a grand cheaper than the normal ohlins setup. Works great for me. Ride is totally fine and its killer on track. Shaved about 3 seconds off my time at VIR full. I'm hitting 2:08s all day long (which is pretty damn quick if you know that track) and part of my track setup is pulling my kids car seats out the back. I have no financial interest by the way. https://3dmmotorsport.com/
Are they really a grand cheaper? They appear to be the same price on here..$3200ish
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #31
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are they really a grand cheaper? They appear to be the same price on here..$3200ish
I'm seeing 2300. That 3200 is with all new mounting hardware pre-assembled. Makes it easier to install but not required. You can use the mounting hardware already on your car. That's what I did when they installed mine and that's what you could do if you bought a regular R/T kit unless you have a very high mileage or abused car in which case some of your hardware may be in need of replacing
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #32
parabmw
Captain
Rep

Mdm is using the older Verizon mp40.
How were these updated with the mr40 version?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #33
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Are the rear springs too stiff in this setup for the street??
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #34
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
Quote:
Are the rear springs too stiff in this setup for the street??
Nah it's obviously a stiffer ride but it's not harsh. I was worried about ruining my daily driver with this setup but fortunately it's not a problem. I wouldn't want it if I lived in a place with really bad roads but then again if I lived somewhere like that I wouldn't have the car in the first place
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #35
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidStr View Post
That would be a big mistake from Ohlins. I can't believe they rushed the design considering the big experience they have.
Yes they don't give a big drop, but function over image is not a bad thing...
Ironic thing is that they didn't rush it - they took their sweet ass time.
Appreciate 0