Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #133
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
Your certainty about this intrigues me. Do you know how much money BMW makes on an M3 they sell the dealer?
Understand your skepticism (if I read that right). No I don't have numbers. However, the engine price on the 335i is about $10k lower than the S65 V8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
I don't think BMW regards cost cutting as a major factor for growing their company. I'm not saying it's unimportant; but, if you put there profit making strategy on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd guess BMW might put cost cutting in the 2-3 range. Selling more cars and convincing customers to load them up with performance gizmos and options has, to me, way more impact on the bottom line.
I don't think the BMW move from V-8 to I-6 was meant as a cost cutting move. Somebody else has mentioned this - It's a return to their roots. The V-8 M3 thing appears to me to have been a venture into the muscle car arena. BMW has been more about nimbleness and agility and, evidently, they want to go back there.
I, perhaps obviously, completely disagree. Doubling sales volume while increase net income by a FACTOR of 6 is a truly astounding feat. A massive and intense effort across the entire organization is the only way to accomplish this. Also, after a dip due to the global recession, their net income figures have continued to absolutely soar (i.e. past the dates mentioned in my little factoid).

Shall I post up the BMW presentation to investors which focuses on part commonality, material cost savings? I've posted it a couple times in the past.

Yes options are a key part of profits/profitability.

The roots of BMW M has never specifically been about weight and they have very actively criticized turbo charging. Their roots has been with high revving, race inspired motors, not one particular engine configuration.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #134
Leo88
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E92 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
i know not an m purists, but no awd? with how powerful the cars are becoming, i would have thought awd would be needed to put the traction down
Most supercars still do it with rwd and most of the time intentionally; so why not BMWs and likes?
The "new" Ferrari F12 Berlinetta with 740hp and 700 nm of torque is a rwd car that still does 0-62 in 3,1 sec.
Awd is not needed, once the car is moving it adds weight with no other improvments in performance or handling.
      07-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #135
F555
Captain
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 - 335i

F80 M3 will be my next car
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #136
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by needabeemer View Post
i hear you, but the point is that i dont want to spend 60k+ on a 435i only to see that its been outdated/outdone literally 3 months later

the m4 will probably look a lot better and make me say "damn, i wish my car had that" ...it will inevitably happen to every car we choose, but at least let us enjoy our basic 4's for longer than 3 ******* months

the 5 and 6 series owners didnt see the M5/M6 for like 2+ years and got to enjoy their cars for a long time. if i buy a brand new 4 series ill enjoy it and then get teased by the M4's superior looks/tech just a few months later. and im not even talking about the performance yet. the performance is something i probably wouldnt even need but the looks/tech alone will ruin the joy of owning a "basic" 4 series and make me regret my purchase. suppose this car has a much more aggressive air breather side vent, or the LED headlights from the concept, or something along those lines?

sorry but thats a deal breaker to me, i just changed my mind about getting a 4 series over that. and now i will probably have to switch to another brand all together since im not waiting til late 2014 for a car. bmw does not know how to make their customers feel special at all.
I have a solution for you, buy an F30 335i.......a year ago
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #137
DO_e90
Rep
Drives: Black 335i

Can't wait to see how the new M3/M4 turn out. Really dying to see this engine! BMW ftw
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #138
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
i hear you, but the point is that i dont want to spend 60k+ on a 435i only to see that its been outdated/outdone literally 3 months later

the m4 will probably look a lot better and make me say "damn, i wish my car had that" ...it will inevitably happen to every car we choose, but at least let us enjoy our basic 4's for longer than 3 ******* months

the 5 and 6 series owners didnt see the M5/M6 for like 2+ years and got to enjoy their cars for a long time. if i buy a brand new 4 series ill enjoy it and then get teased by the M4's superior looks/tech just a few months later. and im not even talking about the performance yet. the performance is something i probably wouldnt even need but the looks/tech alone will ruin the joy of owning a "basic" 4 series and make me regret my purchase. suppose this car has a much more aggressive air breather side vent, or the LED headlights from the concept, or something along those lines?

sorry but thats a deal breaker to me, i just changed my mind about getting a 4 series over that. and now i will probably have to switch to another brand all together since im not waiting til late 2014 for a car. bmw does not know how to make their customers feel special at all.
Really not following your logic here. If you want an M-car, wait for the M-car. Why would you buy a vanilla 4-series if you really want the M4? I can understand shopping other brands because BMW has left a gap in the M line-up, but if anything, that's justification for releasing the M version earlier, not later.

It's inevitable that many 3/4-series owners will long for the M3/4, but that's life. There's always going to be a faster/better car. There's always going to be a newer car around the corner. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy what you have.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #139
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
is it even worth getting a 435i now?
If you're in the market for a car that performs at the M4 level, I'm not sure why you'd consider a 435i to begin with. If you can't afford an M4, then it's presence in the market is irrelevant.

Quote:
by the time it gets delivered it will be september/october and then this thing will be revealed in january (just 2-3 months later) which im sure will spoil the looks of the "basic" 435i
This is just silly. By this line of reasoning, I'm not sure how any man remains married so long as Mila Kunis walks the earth.

Quote:
then in a few months from then it will be available for purchase? why bother with a 435i then?
If you want an M4, wait for the M4. If the 435i fits your budget and desires, then buy the 435i.

Quote:
why is the M version of the 4 series coming so soon when it took 3+ years for the M version of the 5 to come out?
If the presence of an up-line car in the market makes it impossible for you to buy a specific car, then the better argument is to make the up-line car available immediately so that the seller can capture your sale now, rather than later.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0