Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-08-2021, 10:50 AM   #7063
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
From what I gather, the Sport PASM option is more than just lowering springs. The spring rates have also been increased (necessitsting the need to add helper springs in the rear) as well a full recalibration of the PASM damper programming to deal with the higher rate springs. Porsche don't do things halfway
Indeed they don't!

Taken from post #3 here: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1183...fferences.html

Unlike the last 911 generation, all 992s have PASM.
With that being said, the "sport chassis" aka "PASM sport suspension" is exclusive to the S models. SPASM is a RennList shorthand. \

PASM sport suspension package includes:
Electronically variable active damping system with two manually selectable modes: "Normal" and "Sport"
Ride height lowered 10 mm compared to standard
Stiffer anti-roll bars (front and rear)
Extended front spoiler lip
Increased maximum rear spoiler height
Note: Approach and departure angles are reduced.

The above two suspension modes are exclusive to SPASM equipped cars — ie. Different than the standard PASM modes. If you go to the S models and click on the PASM sport suspension info button, Porsche has a video explaining the PASM and sport chassis variant.
Appreciate 2
clutchdj1878.50
CanAutM321116.50
      05-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #7064
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
As I stated before- if you enjoy Sporty driving experience and will push your car close to the limit - SPASM and RAS (rear active steer) are a Must and really transform it compared to 911s without these.

This comes from hours of research and test driving a number of various equipped 991 911s.

The standard PASM setup sits noticeably higher and is much more comfortable if you plan to daily it.

The other option I highly recommend is 18way Sport seats. I can’t live without being able to adjust the side bolsters.
Appreciate 3
pbar1400.00
Mavus2029.50
Ilyam5894.50
      05-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #7065
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It has standard PASM, BUT you can add the sport PASM for $1095. It lowers the car 10mm more than the standard PASM does (...as mentioned previously). I have no interest in the Sport exhaust. I prefer the look of the quad tail pipes.
From what I gather, the Sport PASM option is more than just lowering springs. The spring rates have also been increased (necessitsting the need to add helper springs in the rear) as well a full recalibration of the PASM damper programming to deal with the higher rate springs. Porsche don't do things halfway
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
As I stated before- if you enjoy Sporty driving experience and will push your car close to the limit - SPASM and RAS (rear active steer) are a Must and really transform it compared to 911s without these.

This comes from hours of research and test driving a number of various equipped 991 911s.

The standard PASM setup sits noticeably higher and is much more comfortable if you plan to daily it.

The other option I highly recommend is 18way Sport seats. I can't live without being able to adjust the side bolsters.
It seems on the 2022's, when I select SPASM, it makes my AeroKit wing/lower front lip gloss black, which is a no-go for me. I don't like that look. So as of right now I'm opting out of SPASM.

I updated my build code. Tell me what you guys think: PNB5Y4N6

I added a few interior bits and power folding mirrors. I was going to do the painted mirror housings, but I wanted to get some opinions on it relative to the black housings.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #7066
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
It seems on the 2022's, when I select SPASM, it makes my AeroKit wing/lower front lip gloss black, which is a no-go for me. I don't like that look. So as of right now I'm opting out of SPASM.

I added a few interior bits and power folding mirrors. I was going to do the painted mirror housings, but I wanted to get some opinions on it relative to the black housings.
The new configurator is full of errors, I would not trust it. If I select AeroKit and SPASM, it actually deletes the front spoiler altogether and makes the rear decklid black. It also doesn't show the lower ride height, which even the first version of the 3D configurator back in 2009 did.

SportDesign front bumper (part of the AeroKit, too) always has the front lip (both standard and SPASM) painted in body colour.

AeroKit in gloss black comes with a gloss black front lip.

Standard bumper has the front lip in matte black, and you can opt for it to be painted in body colour, which the configurator doesn't show.

At least that's what I've seen on brand new cars. Dealer should know better.
      05-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #7067
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

The new configurator, while providing more realistic images, is still full of glitches.

If you look closely, it seems like it removes the lip from the aero kit altogether. It does not make sense for the rear section to turn black either. IMO, this is a bug with the configurator.

Regarding S-PASM, it really is about if you prefer a more comfortable ride or a sportier one. That should be the main basis of your decision IMO.
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 05-08-2021 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      05-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #7068
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:

The new configurator is full of errors, I would not trust it. If I select AeroKit and SPASM, it actually deletes the front spoiler altogether and makes the rear decklid black. It also doesn't show the lower ride height, which even the first version of the 3D configurator back in 2009 did.

SportDesign front bumper (part of the AeroKit, too) always has the front lip (both standard and SPASM) painted in body colour.

AeroKit in gloss black comes with a gloss black front lip.

Standard bumper has the front lip in matte black, and you can opt for it to be painted in body colour, which the configurator doesn't show.

At least that's what I've seen on brand new cars. Dealer should know better.
Quote:
Quote:

The new configurator, while providing more realistic images, is still full of glitches.

If you look closely, it seems like it removes the lip from the aero kit altogether. It does not make sense for the rear section to turn black either. IMO, this is a bug with the configurator.

Regarding S-PASM, it really is about if you prefer a more comfortable ride or a sportier one. That should be the main basis of your decision IMO.
That damn configurator is so annoying. Okay. I'll add the SPASM.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #7069
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It has standard PASM, BUT you can add the sport PASM for $1095. It lowers the car 10mm more than the standard PASM does (...as mentioned previously). I have no interest in the Sport exhaust. I prefer the look of the quad tail pipes.
Quote:

The other option I highly recommend is 18way Sport seats. I can't live without being able to adjust the side bolsters.

Lemme try to save you money this time...

I feel like the power folding mirrors are not needed, nor are the Porsche crests on the seats. Also seems odd that you specced race tex steering wheel and center console when your interior is leather.

Getting rid of all that only saves you a grand or so, but hey it's something!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #7070
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lemme try to save you money this time...

I feel like the power folding mirrors are not needed, nor are the Porsche crests on the seats. Also seems odd that you specced race tex steering wheel and center console when your interior is leather.

Getting rid of all that only saves you a grand or so, but hey it's something!
I had a similar alcantara wheel/armrest/shift knob set-up in my M4. I like the alcantara touches. I'm not a fan of leather steering wheels much. When I drove the Carrera S last weekend, I found myself not liking the leather surface of the wheel......or at least, preferring alcantara over it. My garage, while essentially a tandem garage, has a very narrow entrance and then it widens out by over 2-2 1/2'. My M4 barely squeezed in without either mirror scraping on either side. I'm not sure if the Carrera S is wider than the M4, but I would be pissed at myself if I clipped a mirror.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #7071
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Electric mirrors are a must, I wouldn't ever get a DD without them.

I love Alcantara!
CanAutM321116.50
      05-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #7072
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

I love Alcantara!
Yeah, my daily driver Corolla doesn't have power folding mirrors and I'm constantly manually folding them. I don't want to be doing that with the Carrera.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #7073
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

The thing is, the hips of a 911 are so wide that you need to account for them first before the mirrors anyway, whether you're driving the car or walking/parking next to it.

Your money, of course, but I don't have it on either GT3 or even the GT4.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      05-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #7074
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I love Alcantara!
Yeah, my daily driver Corolla doesn't have power folding mirrors and I'm constantly manually folding them. I don't want to be doing that with the Carrera.
That's so funny. I've folded my M's mirrors two or three times in the last few years. I never even remember that the button is there.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      05-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #7075
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Do the manual folding mirror Porsches still have the little tab in the mirror you have to lock into place to hold it in the folded position? I remember my 987.2 had this. It was like a reddish orange color IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #7076
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
That is the good and bad thing about Porsche.

Good is, you can option pretty much anything you want. Literally. There are hidden individual options like BMW. For Porsche is called CXX and you have to ask the dealership to give you a catalog for them. That's where the Houndstooth pattern comes from. (They should give you the options list for CXX anyway.)

Bad is, well you should know by now. Porsche charges you up the ass for all of them. That's kind of the reason why their margin is so high.

If you get the power folding. There will be an option that makes it so when you lock the door to your car, it will auto fold. You won't have to touch a thing. I always fold my side mirrors out of habit.
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      05-08-2021, 05:02 PM   #7077
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
That's so funny. I've folded my M's mirrors two or three times in the last few years. I never even remember that the button is there.
If you're not trying to make a stupid joke: it's by the window & mirror switches on the driver's door panel, duh.

I fold them often in car parks. Can also do it via the key fob by pressing the lock button.

I see that the GT3 does not come standard with auto-dimming mirrors & rain sensor. But has garage opener and power seats. How fucking dumb is that. Gotta pay extra 700 bucks not to get blinded by the traffic behind ya.

Last edited by swagon; 05-08-2021 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 05:03 PM   #7078
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I had a similar alcantara wheel/armrest/shift knob set-up in my M4. I like the alcantara touches. I'm not a fan of leather steering wheels much. When I drove the Carrera S last weekend, I found myself not liking the leather surface of the wheel......or at least, preferring alcantara over it. My garage, while essentially a tandem garage, has a very narrow entrance and then it widens out by over 2-2 1/2'. My M4 barely squeezed in without either mirror scraping on either side. I'm not sure if the Carrera S is wider than the M4, but I would be pissed at myself if I clipped a mirror.
Cool thing about the folding mirrors is that they also come with nice welcome lights .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      05-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #7079
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
The thing is, the hips of a 911 are so wide that you need to account for them first before the mirrors anyway, whether you're driving the car or walking/parking next to it.

Your money, of course, but I don't have it on either GT3 or even the GT4.
It's probably an option you won't/don't utilize, but I know it's something I'll utilize for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I love Alcantara!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
That is the good and bad thing about Porsche.

Good is, you can option pretty much anything you want. Literally. There are hidden individual options like BMW. For Porsche is called CXX and you have to ask the dealership to give you a catalog for them. That's where the Houndstooth pattern comes from. (They should give you the options list for CXX anyway.)

Bad is, well you should know by now. Porsche charges you up the ass for all of them. That's kind of the reason why their margin is so high.

If you get the power folding. There will be an option that makes it so when you lock the door to your car, it will auto fold. You won't have to touch a thing. I always fold my side mirrors out of habit.
Nice! I'm sold.

Quote:
Quote:
Cool thing about the folding mirrors is that they also come with nice welcome lights .
Ohhhhh! The puddle lights?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 05:39 PM   #7080
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
It's probably an option you won't/don't utilize, but I know it's something I'll utilize for sure.
It's funny - i've never folded the mirrors on any car ever, yet power folding is an option I always want
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
irunalot1518.00
      05-08-2021, 05:42 PM   #7081
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
It's funny - i've never folded the mirrors on any car ever, yet power folding is an option I always want
That's pretty funny actually. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #7082
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

You're soon going to have to put $30K down on your lease with all this helpful options advice. 💸💸
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:14 PM   #7083
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
You're soon going to have to put $30K down on your lease with all this helpful options advice. 💸💸
Yeah no kidding. I've already bumped up my amount up to $27k from $25k to accommodate the PASM, power folding mirrors and the outdoor car cover.
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00
      05-08-2021, 09:31 PM   #7084
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
🤢
What is the WORLD coming to!! :