Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #67
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
If, after everything I and others have said, you are still on the fence, then I don't think there is anything else to say to convince you.
^This or the fact that the sale is over Xmas day.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #68
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
If, after everything I and others have said, you are still on the fence, then I don't think there is anything else to say to convince you.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #69
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

Quote:
I guess I should have elaborated as to why I am on the fence. The reviews I have read for the BavSound speakers have given me reason to consider this as a potential upgrade. Even more so with the 30 day return policy. Since owning the M3 since July I have contemplated installing an Audison Bit One to interface with the stock head unit and adding additional amps and speakers. The speakers I am considering are from the following manufactures; Hertz, Dynaudio, and Hybird Audio Technologies. The aforementioned upgrade is expensive with the Bit One from Audison costing just over 1k by itself. Rough price for the upgrade is around 5 to 6k. I have already done this to my 2008 Tacoma double cab when I purchased it new.

Back at the end of May of this year I attend “THE SHOW” (High end home audio show) in Newport Beach and there was a vendor outside with a new VW Beetle that was selling plug and play upgrade vehicle speakers. My wife drives a 2012 GTI Autobahn with a Dynaudio stereo that comes standard with the Autobahn package. I wish I could remember the name of the vendor and I believe he is out of the Orange County or LA County area. While those speakers were a definite upgrade over the stock (base) system in the GTI I felt the Dynaudio speakers in the Autobahn package were just as good. I am not comparing the speakers from this vendor to BavSound but they rely on the same principal and his speakers were for VW’s only.

I am an audio nut and I have no problem spending money for a quality audio upgrade I have reservations about the M3 being taken apart and put back together when installing a full stereo system. I had the system in my Tacoma installed professionally but the installation was not perfect and I found scratches on the interior and panels that had clips broken. The shop took cars of the problems I found.

I do appreciate all the input.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #70
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Very nice JNoSol! Glad you like it. Makes me look forward to getting mine in the car that much more.

How bad was the Center Channel to do? That is the only one I'm worried about doing. I can easily see myself dropping a screw in to the dash.

Those OEM speakers are pathetic looking.
minn19 You got yours yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #71
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
It just came today.

Hopefully I can use my friends heated garage this weekend and install it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #72
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19
Quote:
It just came today.

Hopefully I can use my friends heated garage this weekend and install it.
Very cool. Remember it's ok to use a bit for force to pull those door panels off and connect the tweeter filter cable. Post your impression after the install
      12-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #73
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Very cool. Remember it's ok to use a bit for force to pull those door panels off and connect the tweeter filter cable. Post your impression after the install
Will do and thanks for the heads up on the door panels.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 04:31 AM   #74
YMB_F80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I'm getting mine friday!!! Got tons of things to install though.. Speakers, iPE Exhaust and M Performance Wheel!

Instagram: YMB_F80
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #75
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorwu120
I'm getting mine friday!!! Got tons of things to install though.. Speakers, iPE Exhaust and M Performance Wheel!
Wow. You're getting late Christmas gifts. iPE sounds awesome on YouTube. Let me know if it drones or not.
      12-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #76
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

I did my install the other day. Now my passenger side mirror doesn't dip, so I'm guessing that I forgot to plug a harness back in. I also hear the window make contact with what I think is the wiring on the midrange. I get this on both the driver and passenger side window in front. Rear is quiet as a mouse.

One question for the rest of you... there is a neoprene-like ring that sits between the door and the clips that pop into the door. Some of these rings stick on the door, some stay on the clips and some seem to disappear. Does anybody happen to have a part number for these little things?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #77
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
I did my install the other day. Now my passenger side mirror doesn't dip, so I'm guessing that I forgot to plug a harness back in. I also hear the window make contact with what I think is the wiring on the midrange. I get this on both the driver and passenger side window in front. Rear is quiet as a mouse.
Yep, you probably forgot to plug in a wire. I didn't pull any door panel plug out, other than the bottom door light plug. I just let the door hang and work around it. As for the wire, buy some 3M friction tape to secure them. I used 3M friction tape and zip ties to secure all wires.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #78
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Did anyone else get an extra 4" midrange in the HK kit? I got 15 total speakers, makes me think I missed one but that can't be the case.

I'd suggest anyone about to do this pick up a few extra white plastic door card pins. If there are not entirely lined up a few will get crushed.
      01-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #79
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Did anyone else get an extra 4" midrange in the HK kit? I got 15 total speakers, makes me think I missed one but that can't be the case.

I'd suggest anyone about to do this pick up a few extra white plastic door card pins. If there are not entirely lined up a few will get crushed.
I did as well. I believe there are 7 midranges and 7 tweeters to switch out. The extra mid range had me recounting/looking up how many the HK setup has.

Thanks for the heads up on the door pins as I am planning on installing it this Sunday. I wonder if my dealer has these in stock. Might not be a bad idea to pick up a few extras before I start the install.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #80
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did as well. I believe there are 7 midranges and 7 tweeters to switch out. The extra mid range had me recounting/looking up how many the HK setup has.

Thanks for the heads up on the door pins as I am planning on installing it this Sunday. I wonder if my dealer has these in stock. Might not be a bad idea to pick up a few extras before I start the install.
Thanks. I'm not crazy. FYI, the driver side window switch has a lever release to disconnect, to re-connect the lever has to 'click' into the completely open position. I thought I broke the switch.

Took me a slow 4.5 hours.
      01-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #81
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I'm not crazy. FYI, the driver side window switch has a lever release to disconnect, to re-connect the lever has to 'click' into the completely open position. I thought I broke the switch.

Took me a slow 4.5 hours.
You should of seen me in my car counting the mid ranges. Using my fingers like a kid would count.

Appreciate the tips. I've dedicated all of Sunday afternoon and maybe some of the evening to do it. Gonna take it slow and easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #82
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Lastly, the very thin gasket that go on the back of each midrange wants to move around and get pinched. I used a mist of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to hold them on, done at once it's good way to not forget about this small part.
      01-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #83
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated
Lastly, the very thin gasket that go on the back of each midrange wants to move around and get pinched. I used a mist of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to hold them on, done at once it's good way to not forget about this small part.
Great idea. That's one thing BavSound should've done outside of the box.
      01-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #84
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The sound is great, even from HK. I did one side first and used a reference track to listen to each side, clear improvement. Thanks for this mod suggestion.
      01-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #85
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated
Quote:
The sound is great, even from HK. I did one side first and used a reference track to listen to each side, clear improvement. Thanks for this mod suggestion.
Glad you like it. Did you figured out the extra mid speaker?
      01-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #86
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Glad you like it. Did you figured out the extra mid speaker?
It's not needed, can't understand why they would send everyone an extra speaker. If anyone in Austin wants it or the HK oem parts please take'm.
      01-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #87
TRKY
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
It's not needed, can't understand why they would send everyone an extra speaker. If anyone in Austin wants it or the HK oem parts please take'm.
I also received an extra mid speaker. Brav told me its because they ran out of center speaker boxes so they just sent out a mid speaker pack instead in order to meet the shipping time frames. Installed mine today. So worth the upgrade. Sound much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #88
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
You should of seen me in my car counting the mid ranges. Using my fingers like a kid would count.

Appreciate the tips. I've dedicated all of Sunday afternoon and maybe some of the evening to do it. Gonna take it slow and easy.
Any chance you'd want to take pics and document your install? It would be a great DIY post and I'd love to see as I'm considering this mod but don't have a huge set of tools or private garage.

thanks!
Appreciate 0