GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #23
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Are they going to flash your firmware to the latest version?
Just the maps and audio system from what I heard.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #24
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeM4 View Post
Spoke to service advisor today. He said there is a fix but it will take all day

I'm going to wait till my yearly service is due and get it all done at one time.

If anyone is ready to pull the trigger ask for:

Map Update Service Bulletin: SIB 652515

Hope it works
SIB 652515:
--------------
situation
Customers may be receiving onscreen messages concerning updates of their navigation system.

cause
Database mapping procedure in vehicles with the NBT EVO Head Unit (Head Unit high 2) has been changed to automatic, periodic, Over- the-Air (OTA), regional, incremental updates.

information
Customers may not be familiar with the messages seen prior to, during, and after this update which may prompt inquiries.
The following information provides an overview of the automatic OTA process that has replaced the previously required BMW center visit for navigation map updates.
UPDATE DETAILS
Updates can occur up to 4 times per year, ensuring that customers have the newest map data available.
At a minimum, updates occur during first 2 years of vehicle ownership at no additional charge to the customer.
At additional customers expense updates can also occur for up to 4 years (depending upon vehicle retail date and BMW assist options selected).

This SIB is for customers "confused" with the OTA update messages showing up at the display. It does not address the problem of not receiving any OTA updates.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #25
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
Spoke to service advisor today. He said there is a fix but it will take all day

I'm going to wait till my yearly service is due and get it all done at one time.

If anyone is ready to pull the trigger ask for:

Map Update Service Bulletin: SIB 652515

Hope it works
SIB 652515:
--------------
situation
Customers may be receiving onscreen messages concerning updates of their navigation system.

cause
Database mapping procedure in vehicles with the NBT EVO Head Unit (Head Unit high 2) has been changed to automatic, periodic, Over- the-Air (OTA), regional, incremental updates.

information
Customers may not be familiar with the messages seen prior to, during, and after this update which may prompt inquiries.
The following information provides an overview of the automatic OTA process that has replaced the previously required BMW center visit for navigation map updates.
UPDATE DETAILS
Updates can occur up to 4 times per year, ensuring that customers have the newest map data available.
At a minimum, updates occur during first 2 years of vehicle ownership at no additional charge to the customer.
At additional customers expense updates can also occur for up to 4 years (depending upon vehicle retail date and BMW assist options selected).

This SIB is for customers "confused" with the OTA update messages showing up at the display. It does not address the problem of not receiving any OTA updates.
Thanks for posting comments of SB!
I'll definitely run this by my SA.

Also wondering how OTA updates are a standard feature but not good for life of the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #26
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Be glad that now there are 3 years of "free" map updates (only when the OTA decides to work) when used to be none and at >$100 a pop.

Quote:
Thanks for posting comments of SB!
I'll definitely run this by my SA.

Also wondering how OTA updates are a standard feature but not good for life of the car?
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2017, 12:24 PM   #27
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by martial View Post
Will map update from the dealer affect/reset coding?
No. Much like Bluetooth Media and Communication updates, downloaded maps from dealer are put on USB and does not affect ECU firmware.

Flash programming is the only thing that dealership does that will reset ECU's to factory, overwriting customized coding.
Appreciate 1
martial18.00
      06-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #28
martial
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 BSM M3

thank you for the 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
No. Much like Bluetooth Media and Communication updates, downloaded maps from dealer are put on USB and does not affect ECU firmware.

Flash programming is the only thing that dealership does that will reset ECU's to factory, overwriting customized coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #29
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

A different SA told me BMW isn't updating maps via USB anymore? This didn't make any sense to me at all! That's why I moved on to a different SA for this problem

Last time they updated my maps for free instead of fixing the issue. The entire map download from Germany took more than 24 hours. However it was updated via USB
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #30
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
A different SA told me BMW isn't updating maps via USB anymore? This didn't make any sense to me at all! That's why I moved on to a different SA for this problem

Last time they updated my maps for free instead of fixing the issue. The entire map download from Germany took more than 24 hours. However it was updated via USB
There is a means to update maps using ISTA-P as well as planned for next (4.06.1x) release of ISTA+. There is also a function in E-sys. I have not tried any of those.

View post on imgur.com

I mostly download from unofficial (indirectly official) sources, so not sure how they come from dealership when purchased. Download time can vary by source and personal connection.
  • For NBT, compressed maps are about 20GB. Extracted are ~30 GB.
  • North America Evo 2017-1 is ~20GB compressed & ~26+ GB extracted.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #31
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is a means to update maps using ISTA-P as well as planned for next (4.06.1x) release of ISTA+. There is also a function in E-sys. I have not tried any of those.

View post on imgur.com

I mostly download from unofficial (indirectly official) sources, so not sure how they come from dealership when purchased. Download time can vary by source and personal connection.
  • For NBT, compressed maps are about 20GB. Extracted are ~30 GB.
  • North America Evo 2017-1 is ~20GB compressed & ~26+ GB extracted.
Thanks for the info but I don't have a clue how to code or understand anything you just said

Also live near Charlotte (Which is a small town that tries to act like a big town)
No shops here code / can't find anyone to teach me coding / don't need enough things changed to justify online coding

Really don't NEED OTA or frequent map updates but hate paying for something, expecting something and not receiving it. Which probably just makes me a pain in the a$$.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #32
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info but I don't have a clue how to code or understand anything you just said

Also live near Charlotte (Which is a small town that tries to act like a big town)
No shops here code / can't find anyone to teach me coding / don't need enough things changed to justify online coding

Really don't NEED OTA or frequent map updates but hate paying for something, expecting something and not receiving it. Which probably just makes me a pain in the a$$.
I organized & posted guides/software for anyone interested in Fxx, Ixx, & Gxx Series Coding:
The same things can be done in shops or remotely. Sometimes people charge and others are available to help for free.

Updates are not needed, but are helpful if there is frequent road changes as well as they include POI. Wanting something promised (regional OTA) does not make you an a$$. Full updates are not guaranteed.
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #33
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
I organized & posted guides/software for anyone interested in Fxx, Ixx, & Gxx Series Coding:
The same things can be done in shops or remotely. Sometimes people charge and others are available to help for free.

Updates are not needed, but are helpful if there is frequent road changes as well as they include POI. Wanting something promised (regional OTA) does not make you an a$$. Full updates are not guaranteed.
Could I get a link to download the latest ISTA-P? Thanks
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #34
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
Could I get a link to download the latest ISTA-P? Thanks
Not sure what my post has to do with ISTA/P. Go to Cartechnology.Co.Uk and you will find latest everything.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #35
Tobes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 SO/BL

Quote:
Mine did. I lost all coding that was related to the nav and radio. Dealership did all the reloading of the software and gave me a full 2017-1 install. We'll see if this helps the OTA to resume. If not, then I don't know how much more I want to push this. wonder if any of the coding might be interfering with the OTA function even though you would not think it would? BMW needs to give us a way to force an OTA update so I know if the function is active.
      07-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #36
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
Mine did. I lost all coding that was related to the nav and radio. Dealership did all the reloading of the software and gave me a full 2017-1 install. We'll see if this helps the OTA to resume. If not, then I don't know how much more I want to push this. wonder if any of the coding might be interfering with the OTA function even though you would not think it would? BMW needs to give us a way to force an OTA update so I know if the function is active.
You have the latest map for now, so you will have to wait until 2017-2 is released.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #37
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
My car came with 2016-1 maps and is at the dealer for this issue among other things. They flashed my programming to the latest version, hooked it up to a battery charger and left it on for several days but still wouldn't update OTA. They opened a PUMA case with BMW, but they've had my car for a week and I'm not sure if I want to keep driving a X5 much longer.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #38
Tobes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
My car came with 2016-1 maps and is at the dealer for this issue among other things. They flashed my programming to the latest version, hooked it up to a battery charger and left it on for several days but still wouldn't update OTA. They opened a PUMA case with BMW, but they've had my car for a week and I'm not sure if I want to keep driving a X5 much longer.
That is the way i felt about it too. If you don't have a solution to it, give me the car back and i will bring it back to you when you think you do. i hate that you cannot force the over the air update. you are at the mercy of whatever logic it is using to push the new files. Now that i have 2017-1, i will probably just let it ride until there is a definite fix....Unless, of course, they have fixed it and i just have not found out yet.
      07-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #39
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
That is the way i felt about it too. If you don't have a solution to it, give me the car back and i will bring it back to you when you think you do. i hate that you cannot force the over the air update. you are at the mercy of whatever logic it is using to push the new files. Now that i have 2017-1, i will probably just let it ride until there is a definite fix....Unless, of course, they have fixed it and i just have not found out yet.
I got tired of driving the loaner, especially when I got my car a month ago. I told the dealer I want my car back if they can't figure this out. They left my PUMA case open with BMW and the shop foreman will let me know when they have a resolution.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #40
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Just had my car in for routine oil service, the dealer also updated my base maps to NA EVO 2017-1, previously I was on 2016-2 for the base and 2016-3 for regional.

Car also received a full programming from F020-16-07-502 to F020-17-07-502. The map update was included in the full programming process.

I'm not concerned with the OTA updates, as each time I go in for scheduled maintenance they will update the car software and maps.

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 07-21-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #41
Tobes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Just had my car in for routine oil service, the dealer also updated my base maps to NA EVO 2017-1, previously I was on 2016-2 for the base and 2016-3 for regional.

Car also received a full programming from F020-16-07-502 to F020-17-07-502. The map update was included in the full programming process.

I'm not concerned with the OTA updates, as each time I go in for scheduled maintenance they will update the car software and maps.
Would be nice if they would just do this for all. My car goes in at least once a year for maintenance. Just update the full set of maps at that time.
      07-22-2017, 05:06 AM   #42
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post

Would be nice if they would just do this for all. My car goes in at least once a year for maintenance. Just update the full set of maps at that time.
Yup exactly, same here. The shop foreman agrees that the OTA updates are not as reliable as they should be. Hence why they will just update my car yearly.

Which is good for me because a base map update is more important for me than regional. I live in Toronto. I don't want a regional update for all of Canada. I want to have updates of NY, PA, Michigan and areas around me
Appreciate 1
Tobes95.00
      08-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #43
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep

So, it doesn't sound like SIB 652515 is fixing the OTA Update problem? At least it doesn't look like anyone has chimed in on a fix?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #44
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake News 2017 View Post
So, it doesn't sound like SIB 652515 is fixing the OTA Update problem? At least it doesn't look like anyone has chimed in on a fix?
That SIB is purely a user education thing. Not a technical fix.
Appreciate 1