Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-01-2023, 09:43 PM   #45
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
After seeing my fair share of rubber marbles from track days, cigarette butts, leaves, twigs and stuff stuck in my cooler/rad this thread inspired me to create little removable screens to put in front of the stupidly large holes. Here is what i did, hopefully it wont mess with air flow but i dont see why it would since i used very thin gage mesh.

It was silver and spray painted multiple coats of black to prevent rusting and improve the looks. It sits firmly between the bumper and the OEM grills with a couple if very thin zip ties to hold them in place.
Nice work. Looks great and I’m sure it will do very little to affect air flow.

After seeing how much the zune sport grills were I ended up doing the same thing as you, but I used some black mesh I got off Amazon. I got the idea from farkel’s you tube video doing the same thing on his m2.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:04 PM   #46
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ben View Post
Nice work. Looks great and I’m sure it will do very little to affect air flow.

After seeing how much the zune sport grills were I ended up doing the same thing as you, but I used some black mesh I got off Amazon. I got the idea from farkel’s you tube video doing the same thing on his m2.
Oh cool, can you share the link to the Amazon mesh? Is the mesh plastic or metal? Working with this sharp metal stuff was a pain (literally), and thinking it will probably dent over time so I might switch to plastic.
2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 09:22 PM   #47
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
Oh cool, can you share the link to the Amazon mesh? Is the mesh plastic or metal? Working with this sharp metal stuff was a pain (literally), and thinking it will probably dent over time so I might switch to plastic.
It was metal, and I hear you about it being super sharp and stabby. I can’t find the exact one I used, I actually used two different sizes. If you search “black hexagon metal mesh grill” you should be able to see the stuff. We will see how it holds up.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2023, 11:14 PM   #48
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep

No leaf blower or compressed air is going to clean these areas out properly without removal of the bumper.

Added mesh lower grills as well as upper kidneys. It’s hard to notice they are even there. But I hope this will give me a little extra protection from track rubber and big bugs from flattening cooling fins.

Appreciate 2
      03-15-2023, 03:10 PM   #49
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

You can clean it all out without removing the bumper. For the areas on the side you can blow from behind the wheel wells and blow all that shit out towards the front. That is if you have a compressor or something other than a vacuum. That is if I remember correctly.
Appreciate 0