Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-24-2023, 01:00 PM   #1
SirReptar
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Unhappy New iDrive system with Android Auto no sound

I bought a new iDrive system with Android Auto for my 2015 M4, it's supposed to be plug and play but I'm having an issue with it and was wondering if anyone here had any insight into it. I get the chimes from the car through the system and I get sound from the FM radio but when it connects to Android Auto I get no sound from my phone. Whether it's wired or wireless, playing through Spotify has no sound. Anyone have this issue with Android Auto before? Tried to restart both the system and the phone. Connecting to the old BMW iDrive system gives me sound but the new Android Auto won't play sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 10:19 AM   #2
Hotflare
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB M3 Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Don't think ant F series bmws have android auto capability at all from factory. I could be wrong but I've researched as I have a late production 2018 m3.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 05:58 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirReptar View Post
I bought a new iDrive system with Android Auto for my 2015 M4, it's supposed to be plug and play but I'm having an issue with it and was wondering if anyone here had any insight into it. I get the chimes from the car through the system and I get sound from the FM radio but when it connects to Android Auto I get no sound from my phone. Whether it's wired or wireless, playing through Spotify has no sound. Anyone have this issue with Android Auto before? Tried to restart both the system and the phone. Connecting to the old BMW iDrive system gives me sound but the new Android Auto won't play sound.
BMW iDrive didn't support Android Auto for the F8X. Carplay didn't come to the car until 2018 as an Option and became standard in 2019.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 09:30 PM   #4
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirReptar View Post
Have you checked the volume level on your phone when it's playing? Could be muted or very low.

[EDIT] Wait nevermind you said with the old idrive you do get the sound. I'm guessing you haven't connected the rear AUX connector that is required on these retrofits to get audio to play off Android Auto. Check your retrofit kit's manual for this.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 11:15 PM   #5
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

It’s one of those cheap Chinese non-oem aftermarket retrofit
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 08:39 AM   #6
SirReptar
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

So update, I was told it's an issue with the unit itself. Thank you everyone
Appreciate 1
ashmostro1254.00
      10-21-2023, 09:30 PM   #7
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
It’s one of those cheap Chinese non-oem aftermarket retrofit
Not necessarily cheap, but yeah, the OP likely was installing an after-market display retrofit that supports AA and CarPlay.

They do work, if one is not afraid to fish for wiring inside the dash.
More here, if anyone cares:
https://avinusa.com/
Appreciate 0