European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
mjcecil
Sometimes, I wear a cape...
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Sapphire

Angry Maddening Bluetooth freezes

So, my Bluetooth system has recently started freezing completely while playing music or any other audio.

My BT has long had a habit of the occasional cut out to silence, but a simple de-/re-activate of BT from the NBT menu would bring it right back (I even set button 1 on the programmable array to be the Bluetooth checkbox to make that process faster). But lately, once BT goes silent, I'll attempt to turn BT off on the NBT, and then I'm unable to turn it back on at all.

Check it out.

The only way to get the thing functioning again is to allow the NBT system to completely shut down and restart, which, as we all know, does NOT happen when you shut off the car, but ten minutes or more after leaving the car untouched.

Speaking with the Stealer, I am informed that my LG V20 is not on the "Approved devices list" and that my phone is actually causing my BT module to freeze. Now, I'm no software or firmware genius (anyone who's read my posts will attest to my lack of genius), but it seems to me that an external device shouldn't be able to cause debilitating software faults in the BT module, and if so, then this is a failure of the BT module to properly deal with an unsupported or unruly device.

Anyway, does anyone else have this issue? What do you do to deal with it? At a minimum, is there a reliable way to invoke a restart of the NBT system? Apparently, there used to be a way with the F10 version of NBT, but not so much in the F3x/F8x units.

Thanks so much, y'all!

Mark
      05-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcecil View Post
So, my Bluetooth system has recently started freezing completely while playing music or any other audio.

My BT has long had a habit of the occasional cut out to silence, but a simple de-/re-activate of BT from the NBT menu would bring it right back (I even set button 1 on the programmable array to be the Bluetooth checkbox to make that process faster). But lately, once BT goes silent, I'll attempt to turn BT off on the NBT, and then I'm unable to turn it back on at all.

Check it out.

The only way to get the thing functioning again is to allow the NBT system to completely shut down and restart, which, as we all know, does NOT happen when you shut off the car, but ten minutes or more after leaving the car untouched.

Speaking with the Stealer, I am informed that my LG V20 is not on the "Approved devices list" and that my phone is actually causing my BT module to freeze. Now, I'm no software or firmware genius (anyone who's read my posts will attest to my lack of genius), but it seems to me that an external device shouldn't be able to cause debilitating software faults in the BT module, and if so, then this is a failure of the BT module to properly deal with an unsupported or unruly device.

Anyway, does anyone else have this issue? What do you do to deal with it? At a minimum, is there a reliable way to invoke a restart of the NBT system? Apparently, there used to be a way with the F10 version of NBT, but not so much in the F3x/F8x units.

Thanks so much, y'all!

Mark
I have heard of this issue. Since you too have a '15 build, I would say take it to the dealer and have them update the software, as you're probably on a really old version like I was.

A benefit of this is the car will also drive much better, as the software makes changes to everything like the traction control, LSD, suspension, etc. and allegedly does fix some bluetooth issues (although I never had them on the old or new software). The car is much more buttoned down since I got updated.

If you mention the bluetooth issues and that you heard a software update may fix the issue, you'll probably get it done under warranty at no cost.
Appreciate 1
mjcecil159.00
      05-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
CenCal X3M Comp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3M Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
HI,

The issue may be with the phone. Googling LG V20 Bluetooth issues comes up with a few sites on how to fix the issue. Try the steps from the site below.

https://www.technobezz.com/fix-lg-v20-bluetooth-issues/
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
mjcecil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
I have heard of this issue. Since you too have a '15 build, I would say take it to the dealer and have them update the software, as you're probably on a really old version like I was.

A benefit of this is the car will also drive much better, as the software makes changes to everything like the traction control, LSD, suspension, etc. and allegedly does fix some bluetooth issues (although I never had them on the old or new software). The car is much more buttoned down since I got updated.

If you mention the bluetooth issues and that you heard a software update may fix the issue, you'll probably get it done under warranty at no cost.
The software was updated via USB about a month ago, in response to this very thing. No Joy.

Good suggestion, though!

Mark
      05-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
mjcecil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenCal 335is View Post
HI,

The issue may be with the phone. Googling LG V20 Bluetooth issues comes up with a few sites on how to fix the issue. Try the steps from the site below.

https://www.technobezz.com/fix-lg-v20-bluetooth-issues/
The bluetooth on the phone seems to respond fine after the freeze. The Bluetooth on the car won't even turn on after a freeze, though. Literally won't respond to the Enable Bluetooth checkbox in Settings->Connections->Bluetooth NBT menu.

This indicates to me that (while the phone's behavior might be the cause), the freeze is manifesting in the car. The unit can't be restarted without a full NBT cycle.

Maddening, I say!
      12-30-2023, 03:44 AM   #6
rashersandbeans
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Hi, I know this is an old post, but any luck with this issue? I'm having the same one and it's driving me mad trying to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 07:51 AM   #7
JobJuggernaut
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Hey there, sorry to hear about the Bluetooth troubles. It's frustrating when the system freezes, especially during music playback. It's odd that your LG V20 isn't on the approved list, but it shouldn't cause the BT module to freeze. Seems like a software glitch. Have you tried updating the NBT system firmware? Also, check if there's a reset option in the settings. If not, you might need a professional check.
Appreciate 0