Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-11-2023, 07:03 AM   #1
soledoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
17 F82 bad head unit

I I just bought this car used. Mechanically it's flawless. I've had no luck with the satellite radio in the car (can play via my phone on car play). Dealer says it's a bad head unit and they can't update the software or get sat radio working without replacing the head unit which is a $3,000 job.
I don't think sat radio is worth that through the car radio.

Is there anything else I should be worried about since they can't upgrade the software in the car because of bad head unit. Everything else works radio etc just fine. I even updated to apple car play and connected drive fine.
'07 530xiT (son's)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 11:09 AM   #2
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by soledoc View Post
I I just bought this car used. Mechanically it's flawless. I've had no luck with the satellite radio in the car (can play via my phone on car play). Dealer says it's a bad head unit and they can't update the software or get sat radio working without replacing the head unit which is a $3,000 job.

Is there anything else I should be worried about since they can't upgrade the software in the car because of bad head unit. Everything else works radio etc just fine. I even updated to apple car play and connected drive fine.
Don't do it for now, we can take a look remotely, update it and see if that will fix your issue - it may fix it
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 11:29 PM   #3
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:

As you have a 2017, depending on the build date, it is most likely a HW3.x radio. Suggest you take kubax86 on his offer to attempt to fix. If that doesn’t work, I have an actual newer HW 4.1 upgrade from what you have for a fraction of the price dealer wants. kubax86 could code the vin remotely and you could download all the fsc through the Connected Drive Update.

Message me an offer!

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1878542
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 09:34 PM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Hell no.
But you don't need to pay that much!

Quote:
Options:
  1. 1. Get a used HU off eBay for $150-$400: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+unit&_sacat=0
  2. 2. Get an aftermarket display with built-in satellite and IP radio apps built-in.
  3. 3. BT-pair your phone and stream Sat radio's IP stream.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 09:11 PM   #5
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Options:

1. Get a used HU off eBay for $150-$400: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+unit&_sacat=0
2. Get an aftermarket display with built-in satellite and IP radio apps built-in.
3. BT-pair your phone and stream Sat radio's IP stream.

HTH,
a
^ This person is clueless

A NBT unit is not compatible with the NBT EVO that was in your car.

The NBT uses info from the TCB while the NBT EVO works with an ATM.

Following that is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Despite the bogus price range he gave you, there is no unit in that list below $650 that is as good or better than the unit you currently have installed.

And that’s $650 before taxes and shipping.

$150-$400 🤡
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 04:26 PM   #6
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Following that is a nightmare waiting to happen.
Ha?
I went with option #2 (aftermarket full-feature display), and ditched walled-garden BMW UI and apps behind.

Works like a charm.
Integrated Waze, audio streaming apps, Android Auto, Apple Car Play, and whatever other apps your heart desires.

With either OEM-sized, or a bigger screen, or a bigger screen brought 3" forward for easier touch interactions.

Quote:
Despite the bogus price range he gave you, there is no unit in that list below $650 that is as good or better than the unit you currently have installed. And that’s $650 before taxes and shipping.
I paid $499 for mine. With taxes and shipping.

One can definitely pay more.
Or pay 4-figures and stay within BMW's wall-garden.

Whatever floats you boat!

Quote:
$150-$400 🤡^ This person is clueless
I will leave childish comments to children.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 04:30 PM   #7
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

And that does nothing to make SiriusXM work as was the original issue.

Regardless your second suggestion, like your first, missed the issue and offered incorrect info to fix problem.

Sort of a trend.
Appreciate 0