proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-04-2022, 12:53 PM   #1
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

https://youtube.com/shorts/7FUz_OJei0I?feature=share

So, this sound has beceome increasingly louder from a year ago. I thought there was something wrong with the diff, and after doing doing some research I noticed it was an issue for many cars. I'm modded ad was denied by my warranty due to "aftermarket springs" although couldn't prove it. Anyway, I'm not really noticing a difference in performance, but also haven't tested it due to rear diff lock and chassis stabiization notifications popped up. It sounds like a gear whine that gets increasingly gets louder to a certain point and is constant, but the winding achieves a fixed speed, not directly affected by the speed of the car, but it's constand at load and unload, on throttle and off throttle. It's audible upon acceleration and deceleration and highway speeds. Doesn't sound like a pulley. Assuming it's a gear in the diff or the motor. Sounds like an RC car with the sound it makes when you try to force it forward or backward.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 04:01 PM   #2
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
I can hear it but it's really hard to tell from the video. Seems like engine acceleration is constant as is the whine.

I almost thought it was turbo noises honestly. What mods do you have? Have you changed diff fluid recently?
Appreciate 0