EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-14-2022, 11:59 PM   #2839
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dreams View Post
I am exactly on the same path as you with the only exception that my F83 is a 2019 with ZCP muffler. I went the non-resonated route and am about to switch to resonated. The question I have is that did you ever think about swapping just one side with resonated pipe, leaving the other as non-resonated? I wonder if that would cure the 3K rpm resonance/boom but still give some bark at the top end.
I thought about trying that, but I've been really happy with it as is. FWIW the 3k boom is still sort of there regardless of resonated or not, it's a little more pronounced with the non-resonated version but the resonators really cut out high end frequencies rather than low-end ones so it's still there.

I only really open the car up on track now and in that context it sounds incredible. So my driving is either 20% load on the street or 100% load on track, with nothing in between. If I had 50% driving on canyons then I'd consider going back to the non-resonated version to get a little more bark.
      11-22-2022, 11:13 AM   #2840
M3Dreams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83,F30340,E82135,E90M3,E46330

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I thought about trying that, but I've been really happy with it as is. FWIW the 3k boom is still sort of there regardless of resonated or not, it's a little more pronounced with the non-resonated version but the resonators really cut out high end frequencies rather than low-end ones so it's still there.

I only really open the car up on track now and in that context it sounds incredible. So my driving is either 20% load on the street or 100% load on track, with nothing in between. If I had 50% driving on canyons then I'd consider going back to the non-resonated version to get a little more bark.
Since your posts and videos really helped put me on the right path, here is what I have to report:

First, what were my objectives (in order of importance):
- Get rid of the Tractor/Mower like sound with valves open.
- Get a little bit more exotic sound than the plain vanilla S55 raspy sound.

Well, objective achieved!

Setup:
Stock DPs - AA Equal Length Mid-section, AA Resonated (Passenger side only) end pipe, Stock ZCP Muffler

I was looking to get rid of the tractor 3-cylinder sound, while not becoming an unbearably loud, rice-rocket, race-car, because IMHO, BMWs are sports cars for the street, not race cars. After switching to AA Equal Length Non-Resonated setup, I was initially very happy that it got rid of the tractor sound, but it introduced the following:

- Ear piercing 3K rpm resonance/boom
- Warm startups (open valves) screamed Rice-Rocket
- Some rattles till car warmed up fully

After following posts and listening to RugbyBro videos, I decided to switch to resonated pipes. However, I only replaced the Passenger side pipe with a resonated one, and all problems solved. Now:

- Very very minor, almost exotic 3K rpm resonance which mellows down even more after warmup.
- Warm startups (open valves) are appropriately aggressive for a sports car, and not a loud blat screaming I am a rice rocket. Your neighbors won't hate you anymore, lol. No need for BootMod to eliminate cold start routine.
- Very minor rattles that disappear within 1 minute of startup. These are mostly coming from the well-known valve baffle areas, and the exhaust warming up.
- The higher pitched exhaust note past 3-4K rpm still exists and is extremely enjoyable when driving through under-passes, or even merging into traffic. I don't have to WOT to enjoy the exotic sounds, they can be enjoyed on the street as well.

All in all, a big thanks to RugbyBro and mike@x-ph.com for helping me achieve my objective. Thank you both! RugbyBro, I highly recommend, if you are good with the wrench, to put the car up on ramps, and swap the driver's side pipe back to non-resonated. I am pretty sure you won't regret it. IMHO, the 1 hour spent is at least worth the try.
Appreciate 4
      11-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #2841
jimmydick
Boner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 AW ZCP

Quote:
Quote:

Since your posts and videos really helped put me on the right path, here is what I have to report:

Setup:
Stock DPs - AA Equal Length Mid-section, AA Resonated (Passenger side only) end pipe, Stock ZCP Muffler

I was looking to get rid of the tractor 3-cylinder sound, while not becoming an unbearably loud, rice-rocket, race-car, because IMHO, BMWs are sports cars for the street, not race cars. After switching to AA Equal Length Non-Resonated setup, I was initially very happy that it got rid of the tractor sound, but it introduced the following:

After following posts and listening to RugbyBro videos, I decided to switch to resonated pipes. However, I only replaced the Passenger side pipe with a resonated one, and all problems solved. Now:

- Very very minor, almost exotic 3K rpm resonance which mellows down even more after warmup.
- Warm startups (open valves) are appropriately aggressive for a sports car, and not a loud blat screaming I am a rice rocket. Your neighbors won't hate you anymore, lol. No need for BootMod to eliminate cold start routine.
- Very minor rattles that disappear within 1 minute of startup. These are mostly coming from the well-known valve baffle areas, and the exhaust warming up.
- The higher pitched exhaust note past 3-4K rpm still exists and is extremely enjoyable when driving through under-passes, or even merging into traffic. I don't have to WOT to enjoy the exotic sounds, they can be enjoyed on the street as well.

All in all, a big thanks to RugbyBro and mike@x-ph.com for helping me achieve my objective. Thank you both! RugbyBro, I highly recommend, if you are good with the wrench, to put the car up on ramps, and swap the driver's side pipe back to non-resonated. I am pretty sure you won't regret it. IMHO, the 1 hour spent is at least worth the try.
Did you purchase an entire set of AA mids for the swap? Trying to understand the logistics of what you did.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 09:12 AM   #2842
M3Dreams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydick View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Setup:

Did you purchase an entire set of AA mids for the swap? Trying to understand the logistics of what you did.
First I purchased the AA equal length non-resonated style mid section. Then purchased just the resonated pipe section. AA Equal length comes in two halves, the serpent section from the down pipe point onwards, and then the non-resonated or resonated section mid point onwards. You can buy this second section in different formats.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #2843
jimmydick
Boner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 AW ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Setup:

First I purchased the AA equal length non-resonated style mid section. Then purchased just the resonated pipe section. AA Equal length comes in two halves, the serpent section from the down pipe point onwards, and then the non-resonated or resonated section mid point onwards. You can buy this second section in different formats.
Just looked at their site and see resonated connecting pipes. Thank you for posting this solution. I will most likely do this in the future. Had no idea they sold bits and pieces.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #2844
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Just looked at their site and see resonated connecting pipes. Thank you for posting this solution. I will most likely do this in the future. Had no idea they sold bits and pieces.
If you decide to do it this weekend, we are offering 15% off all active autowerke parts.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 01:22 PM   #2845
dcaff86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 M4 Xdrive

Garage List
18 F80 M3  [0.00]
M3Dreams Do you have any video or sound clips of that setup?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #2846
OutoftheBlueM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Hi all,
I received the equal length system from InkedCustoms and I am happy to report that I have not had any of the rattle/rasp/drone at 2-3k rpm that many seem to have experienced with the AA equal length. I have tried to emulate the rasp but fortunately have not been able to.

I've driven in multiple modes.
- Trans in auto and softest shift setting with the engine in comfort (it seems this is when the rasp/drone occurs for others)
- Trans in manual and fastest shift setting with the engine in Sport+

I heard of this equal length from dubsesd who reported not experiencing any of the rasp/drone as well.

Overall very happy with this exhaust setup currently. The tone is great and really screams up top but I could use more loud in the mid range so I am thinking of pairing with an Awe or Dinan muffler.

Current setup:
- InkedCustoms Catless Downpipes
- Inked Customs Resonated Equal Length Midpipes
- OEM Competition Muffler

Those of you who are looking to get the equal length tone but are hesitant because of the reports of rasp/drone I highly recommend InkedCustoms!
Appreciate 1
RSXDC5707.00
      11-29-2022, 01:52 PM   #2847
ron_s55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I'd like to see someone try to make equal length downpipes.
Though, I think space is the issue with that on the F8X.

RB26DETT is an inline-6 twin turbo and there are aftermarket equal-length downpipes. Attached stock vs equal length.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      12-01-2022, 07:14 AM   #2848
M3Dreams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutoftheBlueM2 View Post
Hi all,
I received the equal length system from InkedCustoms and I am happy to report that I have not had any of the rattle/rasp/drone at 2-3k rpm that many seem to have experienced with the AA equal length. I have tried to emulate the rasp but fortunately have not been able to.

- Trans in auto and softest shift setting with the engine in comfort (it seems this is when the rasp/drone occurs for others)

I heard of this equal length from dubsesd who reported not experiencing any of the rasp/drone as well.

Overall very happy with this exhaust setup currently. The tone is great and really screams up top but I could use more loud in the mid range so I am thinking of pairing with an Awe or Dinan muffler.

Current setup:

Those of you who are looking to get the equal length tone but are hesitant because of the reports of rasp/drone I highly recommend InkedCustoms!
Is this on an M2 (F87) or M3/4 (F80/2)? Is this manufactured by InkedCustomers or are they a retailer and you bought the Active Autowerk EL pipe from them? Interested how you are not getting the 3K resonance/boom? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 08:58 PM   #2849
OutoftheBlueM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Current setup:

Is this on an M2 (F87) or M3/4 (F80/2)? Is this manufactured by InkedCustomers or are they a retailer and you bought the Active Autowerk EL pipe from them? Interested how you are not getting the 3K resonance/boom? Thanks!
Hello,
It's for my F82 M4 and it is manufactured by InkedCustoms. That's correct, no boom/resonance at 3k rpm
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #2850
OutoftheBlueM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

InkedCustoms
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RSXDC5707.00
      12-07-2022, 03:21 PM   #2851
bmwsalaty72
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2021 X5  [0.00]
2017 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
InkedCustoms
Looks like you got the last one, I tried to order one today and they said they are not selling them anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 10:03 PM   #2852
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

I think my resonated catless downpipes is the key to running an insane sound. No high pitch, because the downpipes are catless but the resonator catches the frequency, Stock downpipes cannot even do this. I then paired it with the Single midpipe with a resonator, Stock muffler and shit sounds bananas
      12-17-2022, 01:25 PM   #2853
Baekhyunn
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Setup:

I had to revist this thread after putting on ARM catless resonated DP last night paired with non res equal length. + ZCP muffler. I was hoping the "tinny honda" sound wasn't too crazy, boy was I wrong. Sounds like cans hitting the underside and I hate it.. Super embarassing when pulling out of a Starbucks this morning. Cold start are ridiculously loud (sorry neighbors) and I even waited about 3 minutes before backing out of my garage.

Upon reading this comment, I think I will have to switch up the exhaust set up immediately. I don't "hate" the smell of catless, yet, since it's winter and windows are always up.

Option 1: get the resonated pipes section and installing on passenger side or do on both just to get rid of the rasp.
Option 2: put back stock DP + non res midpipe and get an aftermarket muffler (remus? $$)

Does anyone know how much louder the catless resonated DP + resonated equal length sound over just nonresonated midpipe+stock everything else?

Thanks in advance guys!
      12-19-2022, 07:31 AM   #2854
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baekhyunn View Post
I had to revist this thread after putting on ARM catless resonated DP last night paired with non res equal length. + ZCP muffler. I was hoping the "tinny honda" sound wasn't too crazy, boy was I wrong. Sounds like cans hitting the underside and I hate it.. Super embarassing when pulling out of a Starbucks this morning. Cold start are ridiculously loud (sorry neighbors) and I even waited about 3 minutes before backing out of my garage.

Upon reading this comment, I think I will have to switch up the exhaust set up immediately. I don't "hate" the smell of catless, yet, since it's winter and windows are always up.

Option 1: get the resonated pipes section and installing on passenger side or do on both just to get rid of the rasp.
Option 2: put back stock DP + non res midpipe and get an aftermarket muffler (remus? $$)

Does anyone know how much louder the catless resonated DP + resonated equal length sound over just nonresonated midpipe+stock everything else?

Thanks in advance guys!
your problem is the catless downpipes, switch to catted downpipes and you will keep the aggressive sound without the raspiness and crazy cold start you are getting from the catless downpipes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 11:08 AM   #2855
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

May I recommend a set of our new catted downpipes. I think they will really help with the raspiness that you are experiencing.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 03:36 PM   #2856
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
I paired the AWE gen2 switchpath with the equal length non res mid pipe today. A family friend’s shop made two custom connector pipes.

https://youtube.com/shorts/RwBOVBRkMSw?feature=share

I’ll make a proper YouTube video later this weekend.
      02-24-2023, 07:07 AM   #2857
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Check this out.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoaSW...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 3
HotRodM4685.50
TimmyM56241.50
agentrnge379.00
      02-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #2858
MagicF8x
Banned
Rep
Drives: F82

I think the new Valvetronic system will
Change this , IRL LLC will be on of the first guys getting this exhaust other then their test car before it’s released to public, can’t wait to see it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 10:31 AM   #2859
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicF8x View Post
I think the new Valvetronic system will
Change this , IRL LLC will be on of the first guys getting this exhaust other then their test car before it’s released to public, can’t wait to see it.
Be warned, their first attempt at a EL exhaust was a build quality and customer service nightmare. Search for it in this thread
k9lovr52.00
Rokoz294.50
      02-26-2023, 01:32 PM   #2860
MagicF8x
Banned
Rep
Drives: F82

I hope that’s not the case
Appreciate 0