BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-07-2022, 01:48 AM   #1
Skiy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

S55 thrust bearing and main bearing maintenance

Have anyone replaced the main bearings on their s55 engine yet? What condition was the thrust bearing especially on manual cars that have a lot of city driving. Every oil change I find little shavings in my filter. Its not much shavings but it's enough to be concerning and has been happening for the last few years. I drive my car a lot in the city and use the clutch constantly. I'm at 74k (2016) miles and will be changing my clutch and flywheel soon as it has too much play but I am considering doing the bearings as well. Has there been cases of the thrust bearing wearing out on these cars yet?
Also the lifter tick. I have heard of the camshafts needing to be retorqued to fix it but cant find a definitive answer. Can anyone give input from experience?
Thanks
Appreciate 0