proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-22-2021, 03:32 PM   #23
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Just got the car back from having the turner brace and powerflex purple bushings installed. There is a marked improvement from the rear end getting on throttle but I noticed the biggest improvement when going from full throttle to no throttle. There's way less "unloading" feel. I haven't noticed much nvh. There's a sliiiigghhht whine but if you have the radio on at all or the windows down you won't notice at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      11-18-2021, 01:14 AM   #24
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Evo GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
DCT here as well with the turner plate and powerflex purple bushings front and rear, and I get the clunk. The 6MT cars with the same setup I have heard, don't have any clunk.
Chiming in with a '16 M/T, definitely experiencing the clunking/thud reported here. Glad I found this thread; it was driving me insane.

Running the turner kit with ECS 95a bushings.
      11-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #25
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0449 View Post
Chiming in with a '16 M/T, definitely experiencing the clunking/thud reported here. Glad I found this thread; it was driving me insane.

Running the turner kit with ECS 95a bushings.
I'm running KMP kit with solid bushings and I hear all kinds of driveline noises
but mostly only when the car is cold. Pretty normal since with the solid bushings the driveline engagement (clutch, diff, driveshaft) is now all transmitted to the chassis directly as opposed to through soft rubber bushings.

If its driving you crazy I would recommend putting the stock bushings back because it's not going to get better over time
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #26
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
I'm running KMP kit with solid bushings and I hear all kinds of driveline noises
but mostly only when the car is cold. Pretty normal since with the solid bushings the driveline engagement (clutch, diff, driveshaft) is now all transmitted to the chassis directly as opposed to through soft rubber bushings.

If its driving you crazy I would recommend putting the stock bushings back because it's not going to get better over time
^So this.

The noise these make is so subjective. Before I installed these, the car already had driveline noises. I am used to it, and kinda like it. Much more so than the ZF8 whine I got in my M240ix after it warmed up or a spirited drive. Or the loads of gear whine I had in any one of my STi/WRX.

because race car right?

josh

PS FWIW, the plate and solid bushings make a huge difference to the feel of the rear of the car. MUCH more planted and the power has a more direct feel. I'd do it again if I were to get another F80.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:58 PM   #27
stevehifi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
^So this.

The noise these make is so subjective. Before I installed these, the car already had driveline noises. I am used to it, and kinda like it. Much more so than the ZF8 whine I got in my M240ix after it warmed up or a spirited drive. Or the loads of gear whine I had in any one of my STi/WRX.

because race car right?

josh

PS FWIW, the plate and solid bushings make a huge difference to the feel of the rear of the car. MUCH more planted and the power has a more direct feel. I'd do it again if I were to get another F80.
Correct, if you can live with the noise the more direct feel of the power through the rear wheels (deceleration as well) is definitely worth it. Definitely makes the car react much faster in power exit transitions.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      11-30-2021, 12:53 PM   #28
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Correct, if you can live with the noise the more direct feel of the power through the rear wheels (deceleration as well) is definitely worth it. Definitely makes the car react much faster in power exit transitions.
The worst of the noise has to be disengaging the clutch on an incline/decline: It sounds like something is smacking back and forth 2 or 3x in the rear and it was driving me absolutely mad. It still makes me think there's a trans mount or something that's completely demolished that I've not found yet.

As suggested I may toss the OEM bushings in the turner plate.
      11-30-2021, 02:31 PM   #29
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The worst of the noise has to be disengaging the clutch on an incline/decline: It sounds like something is smacking back and forth 2 or 3x in the rear and it was driving me absolutely mad. It still makes me think there's a trans mount or something that's completely demolished that I've not found yet.

Sounds about right.

My DCT does that as well. Its like the driveshaft is hanging there between power and no power and clacking back and forth on the ring gear. It is more distinct at different times. But I am totally used to it and the wife noticed but clearly doesn't care. So win for me.

If it drives you nuts I would go back to stock. I bet with the plates extra bushing with OEM bushings would be fine for much longer than the single stock. You know, the forces spread out between two vs one, etc.....I contemplated that, but since I didn't want to go back in later at the cost of 1200 bucks, I went for the whole enchilada.

Hope you get this dialed soon....

josh
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 03:28 PM   #30
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Quote:

I went purple powerflex. Way less wind up release getting off throttle and negligible nvh.
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2021, 05:29 PM   #31
Xer0449
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
I went purple powerflex. Way less wind up release getting off throttle and negligible nvh.
Yep, I made a terrible mistake going with the ECS 95a's
      12-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #32
stevehifi
Captain
Rep

Maybe just swap out the front mount with the 4 bushings and swap them to poly instead.

You can pick up a new mount from the dealer for about $140 and then press in the bushings yourself. The install also would be alot cheaper than having to remove the rear ones. (which requires full removal of subframe)

Install would be (high level overview):
-remove exhaust
-disconnect driveshaft at front (near tranny)
-lower and support subframe (enough to give access to front mount)
-unbolt front mount (4 bolts) and slide it over DS to remove
-slide new mount over DS and bolt everything back up
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 06:29 PM   #33
luangomes
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Yep, I made a terrible mistake going with the ECS 95a's
I installed the ECS 95A, since then my car has been making a noise as if something was loose, a punch, when I release the gas and press it again, it also happens when I put it in reverse gear, and you can hear it a lot at low revs, the what did you do to solve it?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 12:35 PM   #34
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Have the ecs tuning setup with their bushing. Front & rear sway with spl end links. Front thrust arm Monoball and Rear toe arm with lockout. With all these bushing combined with the ecs can confirm will be smooth sailing with little NVH. With just the ecs bushing can confirm feeling clunky but better than stock bushing. Can confirm power flex is quieter and with all Powerflexbushing all around, no noise.
Appreciate 0