BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
Evren
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Coupe

Android problem

Can you control your spotify with your android phone via bluetooth? I can not see album list, album cover etc. I have Note 8.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Co/2022 X5 M50i

Nope. Same phone and same problems. It's the same in my car with ID6 and my wife's with ID4. Her iPhone is fine though I believe
Appreciate 1
Evren86.00
      08-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Hachima
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
2022 BMW X3M  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340Xi  [0.00]
Yes and I also have a Note 8. The problem is the linking between the car and phone is terrible and inconsistent. When it stops working I have found the following path consistantly gets it working again.

Turn on car.
Let phone connect to car's bluetooth. (not necessary but the 'Mode' button on the steering wheel should cycle to your phone)
Start the Spotify App.
Start the connected drive app and type your code. You should see a warning about dont text and drive.. Tap Skip.
At this point Spotify should show up on the iDrive console in a few seconds.

The in car app controls for Spotify aren't great so I usually use the app to get to the playlist I want. The main advantage I like for occasionaly going through this hastle is the album art and instead of just a skip on the HUD I see full next track names.

Once this is setup it works between turning the car on and off but eventually I have to go through the process again. Probably when the app on the phone restarts.

Wether using the app or just bluetooth streaming I can always use 'ok google play blablabla on Spotify' but it wears out my voice trying to speak over the car noise =p

For MY16 and earlier the car needs to have been ordered with 6NS otherwise you need to code it to switch from 6NH to 6NS (Enhanced Blue Tooth). MY17+ came with 6NH+ZAC standard and ZAC allows the app/album art.

Last edited by Hachima; 08-16-2018 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
Evren86.00
      08-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #4
Evren
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Which company is the responsible about this problem? What do you think?

Bmw
Spotify
Android (Google)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Hachima
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
2022 BMW X3M  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340Xi  [0.00]
I think its a problem with BMW. When iPhone was the only Connected drive option I had even more issues trying to get the two to sync on my MY13 F30. BMW was paying me ~$150/hr to test their Laptimer App and other connected apps though so I dealt with it but became pretty familiar with issues this system has. It's been improving but I think its one area BMW is performing poorly at compared to other manufactures.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Weird thing with Google Assistant with idrive 6. On a Pixel 2 running Android 9 (Pie), if I trigger assistant using the "OK, Google" hot phrase, the assistant audio doesn't play through the car's bluetooth system. If I trigger it using the passthrough method (press and hold the voice command button on the steering wheel) then audio is returned for certain things - Hangouts message for example. However if you ask it for the weather, it'll just display on the screen (it's speaking to you but not through the car BT). It feels as if the BT part of assistant is not being redirected to the proper audio channel.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

So I resolved this by running Android Auto. But of course BMW doesn't support Android auto screen mirroring. Why it presents itself in such a way is beyond me...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
mindspin311
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Its an app issue. Spotify's most recent update broke the Connected+ functionality. Install an older version of Spotify, September-ish build, and it will work again.
      12-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
Evren
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

I changed my phone with xs max. but i have no apple car play on my car. i need some money to change for apple car play. maybe later.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #10
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
Its an app issue. Spotify's most recent update broke the Connected+ functionality. Install an older version of Spotify, September-ish build, and it will work again.
It's not an app issue. It's happening to every app. It's the way BT routing is implemented when presented with different BT capabilities. Maybe this is BMW half assing Android Auto support in future iDrive releases. Who knows. All it is right now is an inconvenience. Freaking Hyundai can get it right but BMW can't get their shit together.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
It's not an app issue. It's happening to every app. It's the way BT routing is implemented when presented with different BT capabilities. Maybe this is BMW half assing Android Auto support in future iDrive releases. Who knows. All it is right now is an inconvenience. Freaking Hyundai can get it right but BMW can't get their shit together.
It is an app issue. Spotify as a standard bluetooth music player works fine. It is the Spotify integration with iDrive that is broken and it is broken with any version of Spotify released after November 8th.

BMW is not "half-assing Android Auto" support ... they do not support Android Auto and have no plans to. Their asses for this position, but stop guessing at what's going on.

Spotify broke its integration with iDrive with its most recent series of updates. That is an app issue and Spotify needs to fix it.

All that said, your last sentence is so true.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
It is an app issue. Spotify as a standard bluetooth music player works fine. It is the Spotify integration with iDrive that is broken and it is broken with any version of Spotify released after November 8th.

BMW is not "half-assing Android Auto" support ... they do not support Android Auto and have no plans to. Their asses for this position, but stop guessing at what's going on.

Spotify broke its integration with iDrive with its most recent series of updates. That is an app issue and Spotify needs to fix it.

All that said, your last sentence is so true.
How does Spotify impact Google Hangouts and Google Assistant? I don't even have Spotify installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
How does Spotify impact Google Hangouts and Google Assistant? I don't even have Spotify installed.
Those were never integrated into iDrive (yes, you can use the steering wheel button to activate Google Assistant but that's it). You are confusing bluetooth with integrated apps (Spotify, iHeart, Pandora).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Those were never integrated into iDrive (yes, you can use the steering wheel button to activate Google Assistant but that's it). You are confusing bluetooth with integrated apps (Spotify, iHeart, Pandora).
I'm not. You're assuming I'm talking about integrated app. I've been talking about Bluetooth integration the entire time The OP's original question was controlling the Spotify app over Bluetooth, not about the integrated app
Appreciate 0