Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #23
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Yes that part I'm very clear on but my non-CarPlay side of things wasn't triggering anything. iDrive side of things in my car at least didn't come coded from factory to do it. No 6NS or 6NW.
I edited my post too quick.

I'm saying my car has 6NW, so my car was setup to do it.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1003.00
      12-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #24
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
Quote:
Yes that part I'm very clear on but my non-CarPlay side of things wasn't triggering anything. iDrive side of things in my car at least didn't come coded from factory to do it. No 6NS or 6NW.

although now you got me thinking if 6NW is newer and more appropriate than 6NS...it never ends...

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #25
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
although now you got me thinking if 6NW is newer and more appropriate than 6NS...it never ends...
6NW is wireless charging -which includes 6NS.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1003.00
      12-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #26
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
6NW is wireless charging -which includes 6NS.
Thanks and good to know. Appreciate all the help!

TL;DR summary:
My '18 F80 was ordered with CarPlay but not wireless charging and did not come with the ability to see texts on the iDrive side of things if I chose not to use CarPlay. So I had to add BMW office to my iDrive by VO coding the car and changing 6NH to 6NS. Now works great.

If you don't order CarPlay, you will have 6NS and office available. If you ordered wireless charging then that package includes BMW office and ability to get texts in iDrive.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #27
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Enhanced Bluetooth/BMW Office (6NS) is only available with Wireless Charging (6NW) for MY2017-18, as Smartphone Integration (6NS) for MY2015-16. It has never been standard in the F8x.

CarPlay has nothing to do with Enhanced Bluetooth.

Quote:
Thanks and good to know. Appreciate all the help!

TL;DR summary:
My '18 F80 was ordered with CarPlay but not wireless charging and did not come with the ability to see texts on the iDrive side of things if I chose not to use CarPlay. So I had to add BMW office to my iDrive by VO coding the car and changing 6NH to 6NS. Now works great.

If you don't order CarPlay, you will have 6NS and office available. If you ordered wireless charging then that package includes BMW office and ability to get texts in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #28
TrentonBornBMWGirl
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sunset Orange Metallic

Quote:
As a last ditch effort based on your post (read: too lazy to go get the laptop with E-Sys) I checked the FA list on my car and it has 6NH, not 6NS...I thought that an '18 M3 would just have everything activated since CarPlay is the only "option" we can add on now (used to be enhanced Bluetooth). So changed 6NH to 6NS and VO coded HU_NBT2. This then added an "OFFICE" checkbox to the Settings list in "communications" in iDrive....once I checked that office box and un-paired then re-paired my phone to iDrive the "allow notifications" slider magically appeared in my Bluetooth settings on the phone. Turned that on and am now able to finally get text messages the old-fashioned texty way.
Can you walk me through what’s you did in layman’s terms? I do not have CarPlay, and though I have Bluetooth and my phone pairs it does not have the “Show Notifications” Option. I have NO IDEA about coding my car to fix this. Can you walk me through how I can code it to fix this, e.g., step by step and include software, etc.? Or should I just ask the dealer? Thanks.

Current Whip:
BMW 230i Convertible (Sunset Orange Metallic)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #29
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentonBornBMWGirl View Post
Quote:
As a last ditch effort based on your post (read: too lazy to go get the laptop with E-Sys) I checked the FA list on my car and it has 6NH, not 6NS...I thought that an '18 M3 would just have everything activated since CarPlay is the only "option" we can add on now (used to be enhanced Bluetooth). So changed 6NH to 6NS and VO coded HU_NBT2. This then added an "OFFICE" checkbox to the Settings list in "communications" in iDrive....once I checked that office box and un-paired then re-paired my phone to iDrive the "allow notifications" slider magically appeared in my Bluetooth settings on the phone. Turned that on and am now able to finally get text messages the old-fashioned texty way.
Can you walk me through what's you did in layman's terms? I do not have CarPlay, and though I have Bluetooth and my phone pairs it does not have the "Show Notifications" Option. I have NO IDEA about coding my car to fix this. Can you walk me through how I can code it to fix this, e.g., step by step and include software, etc.? Or should I just ask the dealer? Thanks.
If you have the wireless option on your car then you can probably turn it on in iDrive yourself. If you don't have the wireless option then you need to get the car coded to activate this functionality. BMW dealer won't do this for you (at least that I'm aware of) because it's performing a bit of a "hack" to your car.

Your best bet is find someone on here in your area that does coding. Otherwise you have to download and install software, buy a cable, and do a lot of reading in the coding forums to make what is otherwise a very simple change to your car. But to get to that point takes a lot of time. Once the software change is made in the car, then you need to turn that option on in iDrive, unpair and then re-pair your phone to the car and change your Bluetooth settings on the phone to allow notifications...it's a number of steps that would take you probably a full day to do, but 10 minutes or less for someone who knows how to code. Go in the regional forums and see if you can find someone near you that does coding, or go to a cars and coffee...nearby 100% chance someone there knows how to do it.

I recently turned off CarPlay. It is poorly implemented, although interface looks clean. I like that texts come through as readable texts in iDrive.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #30
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

@Trenton - do you have the wireless charging option on your car? It includes "enhanced Bluetooth" which provides the functionality you're looking for. If you don't have that option, reach out to alex@alpinemss. He can do the coding remotely for you. He has rave reviews all over this forum. I gave him one of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 01:52 AM   #31
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
My local BMW Genius confirmed most of carriers is blocking text messages send to car in CA not sure other States.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #32
AtlantisF80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 / 2008 328i

to turn on text message notifications for BMW:

1. make sure phone is bluetooth connected to car and that all notifications are on in idrive
2. go to iPhone "settings"
3. go to bluetooth
4. click the "i" next to BMW#####
5. activate show notifications and all other options to sync contacts

6. have someone text you
      08-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #33
F30gator
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i Sportline

Quote:
EDIT - TL;DR summary:
Hello rhk118 , Similar to you, I went from a 2015 with EBT, to now having a 2018 F36 which did not have EBT, as I did not have the wireless charging package. After reading your post, it would appear the steps are:
1) Change 6NH to 6NS (done)
2) Unpair and repair phone (done)

After this is completed, where does one find/access text messages in ID6?
In my 2015, it was under the Office submenu.

A few notes: I'm new to coding, but have done significant reading up on E-Sys. After coding, I was able to read my ECU & confirm it now reads 6NS.
Additionally in my 2015 with enhanced BT, when you paired a phone, it asked if you want this to be "phone 1" or "phone 2". I am not seeing that with my new vehicle. Did I miss a step, and do I need to change anything else besides 6NH to 6NS?

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:52 AM   #34
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
My local BMW Genius confirmed most of carriers is blocking text messages send to car in CA not sure other States.
What are you trying to say with this idiocy from the BMW Genius?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #35
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30gator View Post
Quote:
EDIT - TL;DR summary:
Hello rhk118 , Similar to you, I went from a 2015 with EBT, to now having a 2018 F36 which did not have EBT, as I did not have the wireless charging package. After reading your post, it would appear the steps are:
1) Change 6NH to 6NS (done)
2) Unpair and repair phone (done)

After this is completed, where does one find/access text messages in ID6?
In my 2015, it was under the Office submenu.

A few notes: I'm new to coding, but have done significant reading up on E-Sys. After coding, I was able to read my ECU & confirm it now reads 6NS.
Additionally in my 2015 with enhanced BT, when you paired a phone, it asked if you want this to be "phone 1" or "phone 2". I am not seeing that with my new vehicle. Did I miss a step, and do I need to change anything else besides 6NH to 6NS?

Thanks for your help!
Sent you a PM. Mine made a new setting in iDrive called "office" that had to be activated but forget details. CarPlay has to be inactive as well if you have it.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #36
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 40i x-drive

Quote:
Sent you a PM. Mine made a new setting in iDrive called "office" that had to be activated but forget details. CarPlay has to be inactive as well if you have it.
I've got an 18, but do not have 6NW. If i want office, are you saying i must FDL code CarPlay to turn it off? I use android so i don't care about carplay. I have HUNBT2 & 6NH. I'd like to have album artwork via bluetooth and office. What would you suggest? Also do you happen to know if Amazon Music app trasmits BT album artwork?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #37
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggydrvr View Post
I've got an 18, but do not have 6NW. If i want office, are you saying i must FDL code CarPlay to turn it off? I use android so i don't care about carplay. I have HUNBT2 & 6NH. I'd like to have album artwork via bluetooth and office. What would you suggest? Also do you happen to know if Amazon Music app trasmits BT album artwork?

No. If CarPlay is active, iDrive shuts off "BMW office"....in order to do this, if you have CarPlay is to delete and re-pair your phone and do not turn on CarPlay. It sounds like BMW may have changed this coding a bit from my car based on the number of people having problems "activating" it...

Ever since Waze came out I have turned CarPlay back on in my car so I'm not even using the texts anymore!

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #38
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No. If CarPlay is active, iDrive shuts off "BMW office"....in order to do this, if you have CarPlay is to delete and re-pair your phone and do not turn on CarPlay. It sounds like BMW may have changed this coding a bit from my car based on the number of people having problems "activating" it...

Ever since Waze came out I have turned CarPlay back on in my car so I'm not even using the texts anymore!
Ok makes sense and i have android as i said so my CarPlay is inactive already, so how do i enable Office, just VO code 6NW? It's set to 6NH from factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #39
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggydrvr View Post
Ok makes sense and i have android as i said so my CarPlay is inactive already, so how do i enable Office, just VO code 6NW? It's set to 6NH from factory.
Oh Sorry! I changed 6NH to 6NS then VO code your HU_NBT...then there should be an option for BMW office buried there in iDrive. In that menu you will be able to activate texts (and make sure your phone bluetooth connection set to share texts, there's a setting on iPhone that I had to activate)...there are some FDL codes that you can change to enhance this as well after VO coding, here are mine:

Remove speed lock:
OFFICE_MESSAGES_SPEEDLOCK_CONDITION set to 'nicht_aktiv'

Shows entire text message:
PIM_DRIVING_TEXT_LENGTH set to 'whole text_07'

Appreciate 1
      01-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #40
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post

Looking back at this thread, 6NW may do the same thing as 6NS...6NS worked on my 2015 and again on my 2018...6NW may be a newer and better option? I'd say if 6NW doesn't work then try 6NS? Good luck!

Appreciate 1
      01-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #41
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looking back at this thread, 6NW may do the same thing as 6NS...6NS worked on my 2015 and again on my 2018...6NW may be a newer and better option? I'd say if 6NW doesn't work then try 6NS? Good luck!
Well I tried 6NW, it didn't seem to enable office completely, it enabled text messages though. Guessing 6NS is the way to go, unless there is something else I'm over looking and could FDL now that i've VO coded 6NW.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1003.00
      07-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #42
M4UFO
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Comp

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
rhk, the issue may be your iPhone setting.

Go to Settings>Bluetooth and tap on the i next to your BMW. Make sure Show Notifications is turned on.
Star man, this has resolved my problem and can now see txt messages in notification in the idrive
Appreciate 0