GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
Steve B.
Private
Steve B.'s Avatar
12
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portsmouth NH

iTrader: (0)

Custom tune on M4 w/ 20k miles... change spark plugs?

My local custom tuner is recommending spark plug and coil pack change (my car has 20k miles, its a 2015, before tuning. I only plan to keep the car as long as it takes for the new M3 to come out. Can I get away without this additional ~$600 job?
__________________
2015 BMW M4 6MT
2013 BMW 335i XDrive 6MT
2002 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #2
wsccsw13
Private First Class
57
Rep
130
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Recommend interval is every 25k miles; their life expectancy is markedly shortened by a tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
r0wr
Second Lieutenant
203
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: Beater
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

I would just wait until you need to change them. I recently changed my spark plugs after running a tune as the OEM ones crapped out after about 15k hard driven miles. I recommend upgrading to NGKs.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
nars3000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
902
Rep
1,919
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Oakland, CA

iTrader: (22)

No point in going custom tune if you're going to question your tuner's recommendations. The car has plenty of power in stock form, you can try to learn how to drive her fast as is.

Consider getting a catback exhaust to trick the brain into thinking you're going fast like you have some sort of custom tune.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
Steve B.
Private
Steve B.'s Avatar
12
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portsmouth NH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
No point in going custom tune if you're going to question your tuner's recommendations. The car has plenty of power in stock form, you can try to learn how to drive her fast as is.

Consider getting a catback exhaust to trick the brain into thinking you're going fast like you have some sort of custom tune.
I have a 911 Turbo to go fast. The M4 is my quick, precise DD. Thanks for rec though, makes sense as this isn't the first M4 he has done.

For the record, he told me to replace plugs and coils at 30k, but I figured its a "while im there" type of job.
__________________
2015 BMW M4 6MT
2013 BMW 335i XDrive 6MT
2002 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
nars3000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
902
Rep
1,919
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Oakland, CA

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
I have a 911 Turbo to go fast. The M4 is my quick, precise DD. Thanks for rec though, makes sense as this isn't the first M4 he has done.

For the record, he told me to replace plugs and coils at 30k, but I figured its a "while im there" type of job.
Cool! Is it a 996 or 997? and how fast exactly? 600whp Cobb tuned fast, or upgraded turbos with PI fast?

NGK 97506 fapped to 0.018" is a must for 500+ whp on the S55. Coil packs don't need to be replaced until they actually start misfiring. They are likely 100% fine with only 20k miles on them.

If you have access to full E85 and have an active BM3 license, the secret to going fast (without paying for a custom tune) is by loading BMS' free full E85 BEF on stock boost. This will put you roughly at 520-530 whp between 18-20 lbs of factory boost.

The same free E85 BEF can also transform your daily driver M4 easily into a 10-second car when equipped with a properly configured JB4 unit.

Best of luck!

P.S. pun intended on the spark plug gap.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #7
Steve B.
Private
Steve B.'s Avatar
12
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portsmouth NH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Cool! Is it a 996 or 997? and how fast exactly? 600whp Cobb tuned fast, or upgraded turbos with PI fast?

NGK 97506 fapped to 0.018" is a must for 500+ whp on the S55. Coil packs don't need to be replaced until they actually start misfiring. They are likely 100% fine with only 20k miles on them.

If you have access to full E85 and have an active BM3 license, the secret to going fast (without paying for a custom tune) is by loading BMS' free full E85 BEF on stock boost. This will put you roughly at 520-530 whp between 18-20 lbs of factory boost.

The same free E85 BEF can also transform your daily driver M4 easily into a 10-second car when equipped with a properly configured JB4 unit.

Best of luck!

P.S. pun intended on the spark plug gap.
Its a 996TT. Its far from stock, GT2 bumper, HREs, Bilstein Coilovers, custom interior, etc... but as for power I just did a Speedtech X-pipe with 200 cell cats and a Softronic tune. Now has 500hp/533tq... more than enough for me. I run out of road really quick.

Thanks for the pointers...
__________________
2015 BMW M4 6MT
2013 BMW 335i XDrive 6MT
2002 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST