Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

05-23-2019, 07:05 AM   #1
MDGTS
Rep
Drives: m4 gts

GTS

Hey!

Last edited by MDGTS; 06-05-2019 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Take the check and sell for parts? Car will be worthless once repaired. I'm sure anyone wanting a GTS will want a clean one. Chicago has a big enough market for local sales.

Not ideal, but you may end up making more than the value of the car if there's no serious engine damage. The engine, transmission, interior, and exhaust alone would fetch a lot of money. Idk how bad the damage is, but with 45k in repairs, I'm not sure I'd want to be driving it anymore anyway.

Regardless, sorry to hear. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
dubdemand415.50
      05-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
MDGTS
Rep

But the check going to the repair shop! But probably i can tell them do not start work on it! And try to sell it as is, maybe i can sell it for 35-40k. There’s no engine or transmission damage
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

What are diminished value laws in Illinois?

Tell the insurance company you plan on also pursuing diminished value. Diminished value + the cost of the repair might make them reconsider and total the car. I've seen it happen before...
      05-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post
What are diminished value laws in Illinois?

Tell the insurance company you plan on also pursuing diminished value. Diminished value + the cost of the repair might make them reconsider and total the car. I've seen it happen before...
I don't get why that would be the case. Wouldn't the diminished value claim be against the other drivers insurance. If someone crashed into you you would pursue their insurance company for loss of value. If you hit a tree, you can't pursue your own insurance company for loss of value I don't think.
      05-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

I pray for you man. Sorry for your loss.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Make sure your insurance company is aware clean title ultra low mile GTS are trading hands in the $70k range now. I wouldn’t want to think what a GTS is worth after $45k in repairs done to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #8
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Hire an attorney. Most insurance companies will not total a car unless the damage exceeds a crazy threshold like 93%.

Best of luck with your situation!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #9
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgts View Post
But the check going to the repair shop! But probably i can tell them do not start work on it! And try to sell it as is, maybe i can sell it for 35-40k. There’s no engine or transmission damage
For that amount they may not even disburse entire repair money all in once until they see there is a progress, hence making sure the car is getting fixed.
Sorry to hear, it is a tough situation to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:24 PM   #10
MDGTS
Rep

I

Last edited by MDGTS; 06-05-2019 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:51 PM   #11
1bmwaddict
No music no life....
Rep
Drives: 22" F95

Yes... you'll see that. There are loopholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgts View Post
i hired a lawyer to deal with. But i see sometimes on insurance auto auction or copart nice cars with minor damages sold by insurance companies...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #12
RichBunch2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

Not knowing your particulars and not seeing pics, just going on personal experience...

Here's a link for total loss by state:
https://www.carinsurance.com/Article...hresholds.aspx

IL takes the repair cost (45k) + salvage (I have no details on your particulars, but I'm guessing front end, so let's say salvage is ~28k) = 73k. You're pretty close to a total since actual cash value is probably ~78k. I would think you certainly could argue at least 5k of diminished value, which would take you to a total.

I definitely don't think you could get, based on the above, 73k for a wrecked GTS. But I think you could certainly get 60-65 for a properly repaired one. That would be a great deal for someone, the right someone. (With good pics of damage and repair process)(OEM parts, too)

As a side note, 45k sounds like a big number, but when you look at the hood, two front splitters, you're already at 10k.

This is not a fun process, sorry about that
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #13
JimmyS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Sorry to read the accident. If you need some cheering up I’ll be happy to offer a ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 03:51 PM   #14
1bmwaddict
No music no life....
Rep
Drives: 22" F95

Sorry! Do you have pictures of wreck? Can we see???
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Hire an attorney. Most insurance companies will not total a car unless the damage exceeds a crazy threshold like 93%.

Best of luck with your situation!

stop spreading misinformation, this is incorrect.
Appreciate 1
GGG333603.50
      05-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #16
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBunch2 View Post
Not knowing your particulars and not seeing pics, just going on personal experience...

Here's a link for total loss by state:
https://www.carinsurance.com/Article...hresholds.aspx

IL takes the repair cost (45k) + salvage (I have no details on your particulars, but I'm guessing front end, so let's say salvage is ~28k) = 73k. You're pretty close to a total since actual cash value is probably ~78k. I would think you certainly could argue at least 5k of diminished value, which would take you to a total.

I definitely don't think you could get, based on the above, 73k for a wrecked GTS. But I think you could certainly get 60-65 for a properly repaired one. That would be a great deal for someone, the right someone. (With good pics of damage and repair process)(OEM parts, too)

As a side note, 45k sounds like a big number, but when you look at the hood, two front splitters, you're already at 10k.

This is not a fun process, sorry about that

exactly, much of the "repairs" are in the cost of new parts.
Appreciate 1
r0wr583.00
      05-28-2019, 12:18 AM   #17
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

I think the body shop makes more money if they fix your car rather than total it. You have to talk to the shop And see if they are willing to work with you on totaling the car. If so, they should take the car apart and look carefully for Possiblly more damages. If they can find more damage (electrical and frame damage is usually very expensive to repair) they can call the adjuster and ask for a second estimate. It also helps if the adjuster is reasonable. If they can find more damage after they take the car apart, this may be enough to push for a total. You need to have at least the shop on your side because they are the ones who can negotiate with the insurance adjuster.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:02 AM   #18
_robert_
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

$45k seems very cheap and on the low side - find the best body shop that can even work on carbon fiber/super cars
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:44 AM   #19
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW9 View Post
I think the body shop makes more money if they fix your car rather than total it. You have to talk to the shop And see if they are willing to work with you on totaling the car. If so, they should take the car apart and look carefully for Possiblly more damages. If they can find more damage (electrical and frame damage is usually very expensive to repair) they can call the adjuster and ask for a second estimate. It also helps if the adjuster is reasonable. If they can find more damage after they take the car apart, this may be enough to push for a total. You need to have at least the shop on your side because they are the ones who can negotiate with the insurance adjuster.

obviously... but the body shop has zero say in what happens to the vehicle, in terms of total or not to total. that is up to insurance. end of story.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #20
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Back in '05 I was in an accident in my E46 M3. Final repair bill came in over $23k and I was pissed that it didn't get totaled at the beginning. I did a lot of research and basically, the body shop gives an initial estimate. They probably don't even open the hood for the initial quote. They want the quote to be low. If the car is totaled then they don't make a dime.

After they start repairs then the body shop starts sending in supplemental requests.

My E46 M3 had a first repair quote of $8k.... by the end of the day it was triple that number.

the accident was not my fault, so I did pursue diminished value (and successfully got it), but it was a total pain in the ass and took nearly a year.

$45k doesn't seem like it will cover enough. I'd ask for a copy of the estimate and also ask the actually opened the hood to do the quote.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      05-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #21
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Back in '05 I was in an accident in my E46 M3. Final repair bill came in over $23k and I was pissed that it didn't get totaled at the beginning. I did a lot of research and basically, the body shop gives an initial estimate. They probably don't even open the hood for the initial quote. They want the quote to be low. If the car is totaled then they don't make a dime.

After they start repairs then the body shop starts sending in supplemental requests.

My E46 M3 had a first repair quote of $8k.... by the end of the day it was triple that number.

the accident was not my fault, so I did pursue diminished value (and successfully got it), but it was a total pain in the ass and took nearly a year.

$45k doesn't seem like it will cover enough. I'd ask for a copy of the estimate and also ask the actually opened the hood to do the quote.
Everything you say here is 100%, they are keeping the initial repair estimate low to retain the repairs and not total out the vehicle or else they don't get the job.

Then they'll only request supplements when it's too late to total the vehicle.

It should be totaled; something simple as the control arm for this vehicle is on 6 month back order, I bet most of the other parts are also very limited and would severely delay the repair. An insurance company would pay off for it simply on principle because any unforeseen delays equal more cost to them.

The shop is trying to retain the job, plain and simple.
Appreciate 1
_robert_108.50
      05-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #22
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Everything you say here is 100%, they are keeping the initial repair estimate low to retain the repairs and not total out the vehicle or else they don't get the job.

Then they'll only request supplements when it's too late to total the vehicle.

It should be totaled; something simple as the control arm for this vehicle is on 6 month back order, I bet most of the other parts are also very limited and would severely delay the repair. An insurance company would pay off for it simply on principle because any unforeseen delays equal more cost to them.

The shop is trying to retain the job, plain and simple.

ignorance is high here.
Appreciate 1