Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP\2018 X5 35i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Trying to estimate value of M3 with prior accident damage

Looking to sell and having difficulty figuring out what my car is worth. The issue I'm having trouble with is that I was rear ended last year. About $9k in damage. What kind of value hit should I be expecting?

It’s a 2016 M3 in Tanzanite Blue with Opal White interior, Comp Pack, Carbon Ceramic Brakes, and lots of CF bits.

Here's my 20k review:
20,000 mile review

Manheim has these in the low $40's with accident damage to mid $50's with low mileage.

What are your thoughts?

TIA!
And if Lena Dunham looked like Bella Thorne, then I'd probably have seen at least one episode of Girls too.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I think you said it yourself. "low $40s with accident damage"

Go to carmax and that will give you a concrete estimate.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
UNCbigM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I think you said it yourself. "low $40s with accident damage"

Go to carmax and that will give you a concrete estimate.
Rock bottom, all else fails offer that is...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

My thought is:

Go to Carmax. See what they offer. You may be pleasantly surprised (I was). If you're not...then at least you have your baseline.
      10-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post
My thought is:

Go to Carmax. See what they offer. You may be pleasantly surprised (I was). If you're not...then at least you have your baseline.
Depends if the car has structural damage (probably with 9k in damage). If so Manhiem is about accurate, minus some since it'll run with a frame damage announcement.

I'd plan on expecting 40-43k if so.
If its just some paintwork and a replaced bumper... mid to high 40's.

Edit: if you have photos of the damage I'd be able to tell you pretty easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks guys. Going to Carmax today to get an offer. There was no structural damage, it was contained to the rear bumper and stuff underneath and they had to replace the exhaust from cats back as far as I could tell. I looked back and total was just over $7k so I was a little high on my number. I will keep you posted just so you have a comparison.
And if Lena Dunham looked like Bella Thorne, then I'd probably have seen at least one episode of Girls too.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

You can assume a 5K hit for the damages, look up the car value in kbb or Edmund's in good condition and then deduct 5K. You should have got diminished value to compensate the loss in value.

That's what I got when I traded in my 16 M in Janurary which was rear ended with 10K damage.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
You can assume a 5K hit for the damages, look up the car value in kbb or Edmund's in good condition and then deduct 5K. You should have got diminished value to compensate the loss in value.

That's what I got when I traded in my 16 M in Janurary which was rear ended with 10K damage.
Thanks for the info! I tried a diminished value claim and was denied twice so I gave up. Not thrilled about that today......
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #9
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbret View Post
Thanks for the info! I tried a diminished value claim and was denied twice so I gave up. Not thrilled about that today......
Why were you denied ? i think its a state law that you are entitled DV when the accident is a no-fault one. Did you go through any reputable agents who handles DV claims, they charge a nominal fee and can write up a report.

My insurance company automatically sent me a check which i disputed for a higher amount.
      10-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Quote:
Quote:
Why were you denied ? i think its a state law that you are entitled DV when the accident is a no-fault one. Did you go through any reputable agents who handles DV claims, they charge a nominal fee and can write up a report.

My insurance company automatically sent me a check which i disputed for a higher amount.
Diminished value doesn't apply in every jurisdiction. OP's profile says NV, I'm fairly certain NV is a state that does not mandate the carrier provide that compensation.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #11
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yeah, I pushed it as far as I could without involving an attorney. At least I felt like I did....

Anyway, $44,000 from Carmax and the accident did not show up on AutoCheck....

YMMV
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:06 AM   #12
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

So I gotta ask...why you selling the car? Just because of this accident? The post you linked above seems to indicate you were enjoying the car quite a bit not too long ago.

and did you sell it to Carmax?
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I pushed it as far as I could without involving an attorney. At least I felt like I did....

Anyway, $44,000 from Carmax and the accident did not show up on AutoCheck....

YMMV
did you disclose to Carmax the accident even it did not show up on autocheck and is the price 44K after the accident?
      10-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #14
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
did you disclose to Carmax the accident even it did not show up on autocheck and is the price 44K after the accident?
CarMax won't care about repairs unless they show up on CarFax, AutoCheck, etc...
      10-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #15
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
CarMax won't care about repairs unless they show up on CarFax, AutoCheck, etc...
Not 100% true. Their appraisers are trained to find repairs be it structural or just painted panels. They know as well as us that CarFax/Autocheck are unreliable sources and not always accurate.

Most likely in the case they noted the painted bumper and removed any doubt by checking other areas that the car was sound, and gave him a fair offer.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl630 View Post
Not 100% true. Their appraisers are trained to find repairs be it structural or just painted panels. They know as well as us that CarFax/Autocheck are unreliable sources and not always accurate.

Most likely in the case they noted the painted bumper and removed any doubt by checking other areas that the car was sound, and gave him a fair offer.
True. They may care about bad repairs, but in my experience they won't mark you down just because a panel has been touched up or resprayed.

If the car is complete without obvious issues, and the carfax is clear, they have no reason to look very hard.
      10-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #17
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I did disclose the accident because I assumed it would show up but the person I was dealing with said they base it on the AutoCheck report so if it did not show up there it's not factored in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canukgtp View Post
So I gotta ask...why you selling the car? Just because of this accident? The post you linked above seems to indicate you were enjoying the car quite a bit not too long ago.

I am trading it in on a Porsche Carrera T. I actually really like it but I wanted another sports car. I still have a sedan and SUV in the garage so I didnt really need the 4 doors on the M3. I love this particular color and package combo and will miss it but it's time for a change. I'm fickle that way when it comes to cars....

I did not sell to Carmax because the offer I got from the Porsche dealer plus the "tax credit" for trading it in got me to a little over $47k so it was not worth selling to Carmax. To be fair Carmax also pointed out I would get a "tax credit" if I bought from them but I had no intention to do that. Everyone I talk to and everything I read online says M3's are a dime a dozen due to lease turn in's. These will be serious value buy's for second and third owners!!! Prices are dropping fast.....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:02 PM   #18
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I did disclose the accident because I assumed it would show up but the person I was dealing with said they base it on the AutoCheck report so if it did not show up there it's not factored in.

Quote:

I am trading it in on a Porsche Carrera T. I actually really like it but I wanted another sports car. I still have a sedan and SUV in the garage so I didnt really need the 4 doors on the M3. I love this particular color and package combo and will miss it but it's time for a change. I'm fickle that way when it comes to cars....

I did not sell to Carmax because the offer I got from the Porsche dealer plus the "tax credit" for trading it in got me to a little over $47k so it was not worth selling to Carmax. To be fair Carmax also pointed out I would get a "tax credit" if I bought from them but I had no intention to do that. Everyone I talk to and everything I read online says M3's are a dime a dozen due to lease turn in's. These will be serious value buy's for second and third owners!!! Prices are dropping fast.....
Not necessarily true, M4s are literally a dime a dozen. It is true that the F series Ms have sold more then any other generation, however it's something like for every M3 sold 3-4 M4s are also sold.

In the same breath, you cannot buy these cars and think they are going to hold their values. That's why people buying CS models are idiots for thinking it will be an investment. I mean look at the GTS?

It's also why these cars should always be leased. If the price Plumets you can purchase out the lease lower then your residual, if it's higher, then you sell it back and pocket the difference.

Depreciable assets = lease
Appreciating assets = purchase

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #19
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Not necessarily true, M4s are literally a dime a dozen. It is true that the F series Ms have sold more then any other generation, however it's something like for every M3 sold 3-4 M4s are also sold.

In the same breath, you cannot buy these cars and think they are going to hold their values. That's why people buying CS models are idiots for thinking it will be an investment. I mean look at the GTS?

It's also why these cars should always be leased. If the price Plumets you can purchase out the lease lower then your residual, if it's higher, then you sell it back and pocket the difference.

Depreciable assets = lease
Appreciating assets = purchase
How can you buy lower than residual/buyout value stated in the lease agreement?

Also I'd like to add that if one buys a car for long term, purchase is a better deal as opposed to lease then buy.

Of course there are unknown factors such as one doesn't know if he/she will actually like to keep the car long term... I mean these cars are special and the the problem with special is that over time it becomes not so special anymore, sometimes....
      01-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #20
F83-6MT
Rep
Drives: BMW F83

How did the paint come out from a blending/matching perspective?

A window on my garage blew out and etched the paint on essentially every panel on the driver's side of the vehicle and I'm concerned the Tanzanite blue will be hard to match.
Appreciate 0