European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #155
dmk08
Retired Poster
dmk08's Avatar
United_States
4719
Rep
10,949
Posts

Drives: 4Runner
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
I want orange wheels on my YMB
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 12:53 PM   #156
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Tonymiabmw's Avatar
499
Rep
2,642
Posts

Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: In Transit

iTrader: (1)

Like this
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 12:54 PM   #157
dmk08
Retired Poster
dmk08's Avatar
United_States
4719
Rep
10,949
Posts

Drives: 4Runner
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Like this
I guess it's cool if you're a Dolphins fan. You are from Coral Gables I see...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #158
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Tonymiabmw's Avatar
499
Rep
2,642
Posts

Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: In Transit

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Like this
I guess it's cool if you're a Dolphins fan. You are from Coral Gables I see...
That's true didn't think of that, scratch that idea. Now I'd feel like a tool!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #159
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
bmwluvr24's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
619
Posts

Drives: 2008 E60 M5
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
That's true didn't think of that, scratch that idea. Now I'd feel like a tool!
I thought all of you southern Florida guys went around shouting "Don Shula" all the time! HAHAHAHA
__________________
2008 E60 M5 Sepang Bronze Metallic, gloss black grills and gills, LED side markers, 12mm spacers all around, stud conversion kit, custom exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and x-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #160
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Tonymiabmw's Avatar
499
Rep
2,642
Posts

Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: In Transit

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishhead24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
That's true didn't think of that, scratch that idea. Now I'd feel like a tool!
I thought all of you southern Florida guys went around shouting "Don Shula" all the time! HAHAHAHA
I'm not from here. Not really a sports fan. But do love going to Heat games
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:32 PM   #161
RealStig
Banned
RealStig's Avatar
36
Rep
502
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Plasti-dip is the stuff of half-measures if I must be honest. Do it right and powder coat the wheels. It's not that much of an inconvenience.
You are right, but plasti-dip takes a few hours at most, easily comes off, and costs nothing and you can do it all by yourself. It's also easily repairable.

What are you going to do when it's lease return time with a powder coated wheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:35 PM   #162
/// M sa
Major
/// M sa's Avatar
229
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: F80 MG
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Delmarva

iTrader: (0)

Plasti dip is not a bad option, I have seen them and they look ok.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #163
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3755
Rep
15,415
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
You are right, but plasti-dip takes a few hours at most, easily comes off, and costs nothing and you can do it all by yourself. It's also easily repairable.

What are you going to do when it's lease return time with a powder coated wheel?
It also looks like crap and doesn't resist damage from rocks. IF that's what you want to do, that is your prerogative, but it still looks like crap next to a professional powder coating job.

As for your final inquiry.........hmmm, buy another set? Have them repainted back to the factory color? People who mod have the money to replace/repair things. If you don't, then you shouldn't mod. It's as simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #164
Powaup
Brigadier General
Powaup's Avatar
United_States
1096
Rep
3,651
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [5.00]
How can I get the regular brake calipers for the M4 painted? I would'nt dare do it myself lol
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #165
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3755
Rep
15,415
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
How can I get the regular brake calipers for the M4 painted? I would'nt dare do it myself lol

Painted what color? Any professional paint shop should be able to perform that.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #166
Powaup
Brigadier General
Powaup's Avatar
United_States
1096
Rep
3,651
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Painted what color? Any professional paint shop should be able to perform that.
Some shade of red... I think wanna try and pull off a storm trooper m4

__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #167
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3755
Rep
15,415
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Some shade of red... I think wanna try and pull off a storm trooper m4

Honestly bro, if red is your ideal color, you're better off trading your blue calipers with somebody - probably an F30 335i owner - who has the M-Performance red calipers (..or buying a set of calipers and selling your blue calipers to recoup the money). They are the same.

For example, there's a guy selling the rear calipers on the forums right now:


Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 01-31-2014 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #168
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
ybbiz34's Avatar
484
Rep
4,958
Posts

Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

I love my '13 C63 but the new F80 M3 is very enticing.

I want to see what the the 18" wheels look like with the non-carbon ceramic brakes. I say this because I have a feeling that most of the F80 M3s and F82 M4s ordered will come with this setup (i.e., non-carbon ceramic brakes and 18" wheels).

The gold carbon ceramics look outstanding but for the vast majority of us, I think they are going to be overkill. They sure are wonderful eye candy though.

I have owned and used the same Brembo fixed calipers (a 4/2 front/rear setup) that will come standard on those M3s/M4s that are not fitted with the carbon ceramic brakes. The calipers are nice and beefy but the 18" wheels will accommodate them just fine.

I had these calipers as part of the "M Performance Brakes" kit that I added to my M Sport F30 335i.

I realize that the rotors will be different on the F80/F82, but the 4-piston front, 2-piston rear fixed caliper setup utilized by the F30 M Performance Brakes kit was outstanding.

The pedal feel was very linear and progressive. You could very precisely trim speed. There was very little slop and no "mushy" feeling. Overall, I was very impressed with their clamping power. I only managed one track session with the brakes but they were consistent, with little to no fade.

So basically, I know that the non-carbon ceramic calipers will be up to snuff and one would think that the fully cross-drilled rotors that come with the non-carbon ceramics are equal to or better than the dimpled and slotted rotors that are utilized on the F30.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
Review of F82 M4: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1008143
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:46 PM   #169
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3755
Rep
15,415
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I love my '13 C63 but the new F80 M3 is very enticing.

I want to see what the the 18" wheels look like with the non-carbon ceramic brakes. I say this because I have a feeling that most of the F80 M3s and F82 M4s ordered will come with this setup (i.e., non-carbon ceramic brakes and 18" wheels).

The gold carbon ceramics look outstanding but for the vast majority of us, I think they are going to be overkill. They sure are wonderful eye candy though.

I have owned and used the same Brembo fixed calipers (a 4/2 front/rear setup) that will come standard on those M3s/M4s that are not fitted with the carbon ceramic brakes. The calipers are nice and beefy but the 18" wheels will accommodate them just fine.

I had these calipers as part of the "M Performance Brakes" kit that I added to my M Sport F30 335i.

I realize that the rotors will be different on the F80/F82, but the 4-piston front, 2-piston rear fixed caliper setup utilized by the F30 M Performance Brakes kit was outstanding.

The pedal feel was very linear and progressive. You could very precisely trim speed. There was very little slop and no "mushy" feeling. Overall, I was very impressed with their clamping power. I only managed one track session with the brakes but they were consistent, with little to no fade.

So basically, I know that the non-carbon ceramic calipers will be up to snuff and one would think that the fully cross-drilled rotors that come with the non-carbon ceramics are equal to or better than the dimpled and slotted rotors that are utilized on the F30.

I'm actually really curious about the compound of the non-CCB's because the rotors have a 'criss-cross' pattern of sorts, and it doesn't look like a standard steel rotor. I've noticed this pattern in every picture, even ///M's in motion.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 08:38 PM   #170
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Tonymiabmw's Avatar
499
Rep
2,642
Posts

Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: In Transit

iTrader: (1)

Could also choco dip the wheels
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #171
Powaup
Brigadier General
Powaup's Avatar
United_States
1096
Rep
3,651
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Honestly bro, if red is your ideal color, you're better off trading your blue calipers with somebody - probably an F30 335i owner - who has the M-Performance red calipers (..or buying a set of calipers and selling your blue calipers to recoup the money). They are the same.

For example, there's a guy selling the rear calipers on the forums right now:

Good to know and thanks for the advice. I wanna see what the f3x m-perf red calipers look like in real life so I can get a feel for them
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #172
jbockrd
Lieutenant
jbockrd's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Yardley, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'm actually really curious about the compound of the non-CCB's because the rotors have a 'criss-cross' pattern of sorts, and it doesn't look like a standard steel rotor. I've noticed this pattern in every picture, even ///M's in motion.

It was very noticeable in person as well!!! Actually looked great
__________________
On the list for an M4!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:32 PM   #173
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
ybbiz34's Avatar
484
Rep
4,958
Posts

Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'm actually really curious about the compound of the non-CCB's because the rotors have a 'criss-cross' pattern of sorts, and it doesn't look like a standard steel rotor. I've noticed this pattern in every picture, even ///M's in motion.
That's a good observation. Now I'm curious as well.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
Review of F82 M4: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1008143
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #174
jjm1970
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90M,13 Sti for now.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stationed in Stuttgart, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
Plasti dip is not a bad option, I have seen them and they look ok.
I plasti dipped my Sti wheels about a year ago. They still look great IMO, and I'm really happy with how it all turned out. Powder coating seems like a waste to me now.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #175
RealStig
Banned
RealStig's Avatar
36
Rep
502
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It also looks like crap and doesn't resist damage from rocks. IF that's what you want to do, that is your prerogative, but it still looks like crap next to a professional powder coating job.

As for your final inquiry.........hmmm, buy another set? Have them repainted back to the factory color? People who mod have the money to replace/repair things. If you don't, then you shouldn't mod. It's as simple as that.
I never mod my cars. The only mod is the radar detector wiring with the fuse. I think modding is a big waste of money. It's not about question of affordability or finances, it's to me money wasted down the drain. I'm different like that, I know you are going to say stuff But it's the same reason why I don't regularly drink outside because for the cost of a beer in a bar, I can buy a 6 pack at home. If I'm having dinner with friends and family, fine, no problem, but I'm not one of those people who go out to drink, because I know it's a big waste of money.

I'm a bit of a conservative if you will, I don't like wasting money if I can save it and it doesn't matter how much the money is, $10 or $100 or $1000. I have no problem paying for high quality premium stuff, in fact, I love doing that. If I buy something, I usually buy the best there is that I can afford.

I have seen so many people who spend 10-20 grand on their cars on mods and when they had to trade them in or sale them to a private party, they had 0 dollar value. You know why? Because the banks or the insurance companies will always consider car's regular value. They will never pay you for mods (whether you are in an accident, or you are a private buyer trying to finance a car). Wanting a car that looks sleek is nice, but if I'm going to spend 10-20k in mods, I may as well buy a car that costs 20k more and at least I'll have "some" value for my extra 20k.

I know this way of thinking is not welcome in a forum like this, but this is how my brain works

BMW has already done a great job designing these cars, why bother?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #176
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3755
Rep
15,415
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It also looks like crap and doesn't resist damage from rocks. IF that's what you want to do, that is your prerogative, but it still looks like crap next to a professional powder coating job.

As for your final inquiry.........hmmm, buy another set? Have them repainted back to the factory color? People who mod have the money to replace/repair things. If you don't, then you shouldn't mod. It's as simple as that.
I never mod my cars. The only mod is the radar detector wiring with the fuse. I think modding is a big waste of money. It's not about question of affordability or finances, it's to me money wasted down the drain. I'm different like that, I know you are going to say stuff But it's the same reason why I don't regularly drink outside because for the cost of a beer in a bar, I can buy a 6 pack at home. If I'm having dinner with friends and family, fine, no problem, but I'm not one of those people who go out to drink, because I know it's a big waste of money.

I'm a bit of a conservative if you will, I don't like wasting money if I can save it and it doesn't matter how much the money is, $10 or $100 or $1000. I have no problem paying for high quality premium stuff, in fact, I love doing that. If I buy something, I usually buy the best there is that I can afford.

I have seen so many people who spend 10-20 grand on their cars on mods and when they had to trade them in or sale them to a private party, they had 0 dollar value. You know why? Because the banks or the insurance companies will always consider car's regular value. They will never pay you for mods (whether you are in an accident, or you are a private buyer trying to finance a car). Wanting a car that looks sleek is nice, but if I'm going to spend 10-20k in mods, I may as well buy a car that costs 20k more and at least I'll have "some" value for my extra 20k.

I know this way of thinking is not welcome in a forum like this, but this is how my brain works

BMW has already done a great job designing these cars, why bother?
One word: INDIVIDUALITY!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2014 bmw m3, 2014 bmw m3 horsepower, 2014 bmw m3 specs, 2014 bmw m4 horsepower, 2014 bmw m4 specs, 2014 m3, 2014 m3 engine, 2014 m3 forum, 2014 m3 horsepower, 2014 m3 hp, 2014 m3 specs, 2014 m3 weight, 2014 m4 engine, 2014 m4 horsepower, 2014 m4 hp, 2014 m4 specs, 2014 m4 weight, 2015 bmw m3, 2015 bmw m3 specs, 2015 bmw m4, 2015 bmw m4 specs, 2015 m3, 2015 m3 engine, 2015 m3 specs, 2015 m4, 2015 m4 engine, 2015 m4 hp, 2015 m4 specs, 2015 m4 weight, bmw f80, bmw f80 forum, bmw f80 forums, bmw f80 m3, bmw f80 m3 s55, bmw f80 m3 sedan, bmw f82, bmw f82 forum, bmw f82 forums, bmw f82 m3 coupe, bmw f82 m4, bmw f82 m4 coupe, bmw f82 m4 s55, bmw f82 m4 video, bmw f83, bmw f83 m3, bmw f83 m4, bmw m forum, bmw m forums, bmw m3 forum, bmw m3 forums, bmw m3 s55, bmw m3 s55 engine, bmw m4, bmw m4 coupe, bmw m4 coupe forum, bmw m4 forum, bmw m4 forums, bmw m4 horsepower, bmw m4 hp, bmw m4 redline, bmw m4 rev limit, bmw m4 rev limiter, bmw m4 rpm, bmw m4 rpm redline, bmw m4 video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST