Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #1013
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Killer! If you make another trip down and want some company, shoot me a pm. Sebring is the highlight, but Homestead (infield) also a lot of fun, entirely different, more technical.

Chin is great, but you can usually get in with PDG on short notice. That's who I run with. Not as governed, but especially at Sebring you can find open running https://performancedrivinggroup.com/events/
I'll 100% reach out next time I'm heading south for a track day.

Do you plan on going to VIR at all next year?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #1014
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I'll 100% reach out next time I'm heading south for a track day.

Do you plan on going to VIR at all next year?
Long overdue on VIR and want to get the GTS out east for some others, but doubt life will permit this upcoming season...

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      12-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #1015
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Long overdue on VIR and want to get the GTS out east for some others, but doubt life will permit this upcoming season...
Would love to see the GTS.

I'm overdue to see SYT at the Glen as well.
Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM3662.50
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      12-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #1016
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
A little eye candy to get you in the holiday spirit, couple of the fastest guys out at Buttonwillow last Saturday

E36 ripped an amazing 1:46.9 #13CW
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
NYG10728.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
SYT_Shadow11479.50
Kelse921131.50
sly1types431.50
EGbeater116.50
      12-23-2020, 10:58 PM   #1017
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
A little eye candy to get you in the holiday spirit, couple of the fastest guys out at Buttonwillow last Saturday

E36 ripped an amazing 1:46.9 #13CW
Nice, that looks like gabes car from the blues clues YT channel. He has some interesting videos on alot of track related gear.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 12:02 AM   #1018
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irokdayellup View Post
Nice, that looks like gabes car from the blues clues YT channel. He has some interesting videos on alot of track related gear.
Yes sir, that is Gabe‘s car. He was turning some blazing laps as well and took second overall in B2 Bimmerchallenge.
Appreciate 1
NYG10728.00
      12-24-2020, 09:54 PM   #1019
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Merry Christmas
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
NYG10728.00
      12-25-2020, 01:17 AM   #1020
shaddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Hi all, looking for some input on upgrading my setup from my KW V3. My F80 is a daily so looking for a compliant setup, and planning on hitting 7-8 track days next year with some autox in between. I can either keep my KW V3 and add Vorshlag camber plates, or sell them and upgrade to a setup with more track focus. I'm going between the following setups ordered in interest so far:
  • MCS 1WNR with Swift Springs & Vorshlag
  • TC Kline SA Front w/ DA Rear
  • KW CS 2W
  • Ohlins with Vorshlag Camber plates

I have had Ohlins on a previous Miata and loved them (DFV feels great on the street) but it looks like Ohlin on this platform has poor ride height adjustability although they've worked out the spring rate problems.

The MCS 1WNR is probably at the top of my budget on what I want to spend right now, but the ability the upgrade later to 2WNR, swift springs, and digressive valving all sound attractive. TCK sounds good too, and honestly probably gets me more than enough performance for my skill level at a lower price point. Any thoughts?

And lastly Merry Christmas!
      12-25-2020, 05:07 AM   #1021
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddy View Post
Hi all, looking for some input on upgrading my setup from my KW V3. My F80 is a daily so looking for a compliant setup, and planning on hitting 7-8 track days next year with some autox in between. I can either keep my KW V3 and add Vorshlag camber plates, or sell them and upgrade to a setup with more track focus. I'm going between the following setups ordered in interest so far:
  • KW CS 2W

I have had Ohlins on a previous Miata and loved them (DFV feels great on the street) but it looks like Ohlin on this platform has poor ride height adjustability although they've worked out the spring rate problems.

The MCS 1WNR is probably at the top of my budget on what I want to spend right now, but the ability the upgrade later to 2WNR, swift springs, and digressive valving all sound attractive. TCK sounds good too, and honestly probably gets me more than enough performance for my skill level at a lower price point. Any thoughts?

I was looking at those exact sets of coilovers several months ago. I settled on the tc klines sa/da. Mainly for the same reason you mentioned. Plus they came with camber plates. I am somewhat new to tracking a car in real life vs sim racing and figured if I really felt the need to upgrade I could outgrow the klines at some point. So far they have been excellent and I’ve been to three track days with them. If I could go back I’d probably just get the DA fronts also. The SA do make some occasional noise and I’m sure it isn’t much less vs the DA. My car is my daily also. So there is a balancing act. The ride is great vs oem setup. Linear springs help a lot. Specially for clearance on wheels and rims. The adjustments knobs are kinda annoying compared to some other brands. But it’s not bad. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Driver407; 12-25-2020 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: Words
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #1022
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Merry Christmas...

... To you all.
Attached Images

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 3
fanatic11018.50
SYT_Shadow11479.50
NYG10728.00
      12-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #1023
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
  • KW CS 2W

I've driven TCK cars and know Mr Kline. Our AER race cars used the DA setup.
He uses koni yellows which are essentially garbage, but he is good at setting up cars so he makes the most out of those terrible dampers. Similar to how a good chef could cook dog food and it would still taste pretty well.
Back in the stone age with E36s and E46s the tck was a decent upgrade but now in the F8X era it is a waste of time. Note that Mr Kline isn't trying to hide this either, his publicity clearly shows that back in the stone age cars his suspension made a big difference but in the newer cars the stock stuff isn't far behind his DA suspension.

Stock with camber plates is enough to go really fast and progress massively as a driver. If you feel you need suspension buy a proper one, MCS 1W would be my vote but the KW CS has good results as well.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      12-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #1024
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
  • KW CS 2W

What do you mean by Ohlins having poor ride height adjustability? I have my car slightly lowered and corner balanced with the Ohlins R/T, am I missing something?

They feel great on track, especially on the bumpier ones. Perhaps not good enough for ultimate performance on the really smooth tracks, but then again neither am I good enough. I feel I can still develop as a driver with these, as they offer a small echo from the past stock/OEM days, enough to pick up a familiar thread and work on it.

But I agree with SYT_Shadow that stock with camber plates is the best development platform for the driver. You learn to use the weight transfer to your advantage and ride the curbs with impunity. It also does very well in the rain, it is progressive.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      12-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #1025
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

I'm a big supporter of the mcs setup. I had one of the first e46 m3 kits when they came onto the scene about 10 years ago and in my lastest e46 m3 I still run mcs 2 way with remotes. The support you get from them is top notch.

I wouldn't waste your time with any Koni developed coilover kits.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      12-26-2020, 04:29 PM   #1026
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
I'm a big supporter of the mcs setup. I had one of the first e46 m3 kits when they came onto the scene about 10 years ago and in my last lest e46 m3 I still run mcs 2 way with remotes. The support you get from them is top notch.

I wouldn't waste your time with any Koni developed coilover kits.
Totally agreed.

I'd prefer the MCS but I'd take pretty much anything over Koni-related shocks: KW CS, Ohlins, etc
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #1027
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Totally agreed.

I'd prefer the MCS but I'd take pretty much anything over Koni-related shocks: KW CS, Ohlins, etc
Bilstein?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #1028
shaddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
What do you mean by Ohlins having poor ride height adjustability? I have my car slightly lowered and corner balanced with the Ohlins R/T, am I missing something?
From what I've read the Ohlins setup on our platform only allows about 15mm of height adjustment which is not enough for me. I don't think I'm slammed, but I prefer to not have any fender gap in the rear and minimal in the front. I'd like to get similar ride height out of my next set of coilovers. From what I've seen TCK/KW CS will definitely give me that, and I've seen MCS on other generation M3s and looks good to me. May have to play in the spring length due to how MCS is adjusted.

Thanks for all the feedback from everybody so far! I will give MCS a call to talk through options and probably Vorshlag as well, they're local to me and can work with them to put together a package for MCS/Springs/Plates and mounts.
      12-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #1029
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Bilstein?
Sure. The B16 is a good setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #1030
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

For those running a separate set of wheels/tires on track, do you run TPMS?

I'm running Pirelli Ferrari Challenge / World Challenge slicks. It seems like it would be nice to have at least directional real-time information regarding PSI and Temp readings, but from first outlap to optimal temp, there is a sizeable PSI difference (20.4PSI to 29PSI) and I don't feel like messing with TPMS warning messages while running on track.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #1031
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I have overheated two TPMS sensors on my track wheels at somewhere close to 180F, that is what the sensors showed. I changed them out to steel stems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
For those running a separate set of wheels/tires on track, do you run TPMS?

I'm running Pirelli Ferrari Challenge / World Challenge slicks. It seems like it would be nice to have at least directional real-time information regarding PSI and Temp readings, but from first outlap to optimal temp, there is a sizeable PSI difference (20.4PSI to 29PSI) and I don't feel like messing with TPMS warning messages while running on track.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #1032
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G FLICK View Post
I have overheated two TPMS sensors on my track wheels at somewhere close to 180F, that is what the sensors showed. I changed them out to steel stems.
That was my concern as well. I think I'll skip using them and just go old school with a gauge and pyrometer.

I'm going to have my dash lit up like a Christmas tree between the TPMS and racing seat.
Appreciate 1
Suds1598.50
      12-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #1033
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
That was my concern as well. I think I'll skip using them and just go old school with a gauge and pyrometer.

I'm going to have my dash lit up like a Christmas tree between the TPMS and racing seat.
Big proponent of TPMS for track safety. Have helped me identify 3 punctures, including just last weekend mid-session when my rear left dropped 7 psi from the reset mark. Wouldn't have known otherwise. Not perceptible. By the time I was back to the pits it was @ 16 psi.

Another time readings were all good right after a session, then I got the light after start up heading out for the next session. Again, probably wouldn't have known, could have been ugly.

Even if you have to reset the system a couple of times during the track day, it's worth it.

Remember you're calibrating the system at the low end. Pressure increases during the session aren't disruptive. If/when you drop well below your cold TPMS reset pressures and get the light, you know something is up.

Appreciate 1
EGbeater116.50
      12-26-2020, 09:05 PM   #1034
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I love having the TPM data show on the center display when on the track, showing both tire pressure and temperature, when mine failed they stoped sending data and started to leak air.

Quote:
Big proponent of TPMS for track safety. Have helped me identify 3 punctures, including just last weekend mid-session when my rear left dropped 7 psi from the reset mark. Wouldn't have known otherwise. Not perceptible. By the time I was back to the pits it was @ 16 psi.

Another time readings were all good right after a session, then I got the light after start up heading out for the next session. Again, probably wouldn't have known, could have been ugly.

Even if you have to reset the system a couple of times during the track day, it's worth it.

Remember you're calibrating the system at the low end. Pressure increases during the session aren't disruptive. If/when you drop well below your cold TPMS reset pressures and get the light, you know something is up.
Appreciate 0