EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #23
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
The BM3 flap setting in the tune list only affects Sport and Plus. Try using BM3 diagnostic screen to do valves open in efficient. If that doesn't work go to sport to open valves, then unplug the wire (out back) from the flap actuator to leave the valve open. That might quiet down the vibration noise in efficient.
I think I should try to configure it even if it’s just for sport. If the drone goes away, I’ll do the manual hack to leave the valve open for all settings mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #24
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiridin View Post
TopJimmy I really only care about it being quiet in efficient mode. Does your suggestion work for efficient. I only did a quick stage 2 default OTS map. I didn't play with any of the settings so I'm not sure if there is anything for efficient mode.
The BM3 flap setting in the tune list only affects Sport and Plus. Try using BM3 diagnostic screen to do valves open in efficient. If that doesn't work go to sport to open valves, then unplug the wire (out back) from the flap actuator to leave the valve open. That might quiet down the vibration noise in efficient.
What does everyone mean by vibration with drone? What vibrates? Your seat? Steering wheel? Whole car?

At every rpm range and speed or what?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #25
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
What does everyone mean by vibration with drone? What vibrates? Your seat? Steering wheel? Whole car?

At every rpm range and speed or what?
I vibrate at the lower rpm’s around 2k. The center console, something on the back deck, basically if there’s anything loose anywhere on the car. It’s terrible.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #26
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

We're talking about the single rear-can part of the AA Signature kit. With valves closed the pulses do a 180 bounce off the side of the can. It causes a reverberation. OP got the catless DPs so the pulses are stronger and annoy him. Drone is more the under-car buzz or hum that can come from non-res midpipes (like catless DPs with the AA single mid).

Usually people pair the Signature with stock cats because the Sig seems to amplify volume while lowering tone. I used 200cpi sport cats and it does get attention, but I did it to improve turbo flow while keeping stink down. On several drive/cruise meet ups guys behind me said "that sounds damn good and mean!".
      11-29-2020, 11:09 AM   #27
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I vibrate at the lower rpm's around 2k. The center console, something on the back deck, basically if there's anything loose anywhere on the car. It's terrible.
You can fix the midsection vibration by lowering the middle pipe away from the heat shields. You do this by loosening the front-middle and rear-middle hanger mounts, lowering the rear can a bit (this moves the midpipe down and away), then loosen the big pipe clamp at the rear-can and tip the tips back up where they belong. Then tighten the mid mounts. If you don't have the adjustable "2-piece L bracket" rear mid-mont just call AA and ask Andrew.
      11-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #28
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackF82 View Post
Not sure if you have the resonator removed but that may be a cause of drone as well.
This is the exhaust system. I’m almost certain there’s no resonator.
You have no resonators this is the problem. Have them added or change to a system with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #29
BlackF82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Quote:
If money is no concern, why not M Performance full system? Its BMW made so no issues will arise for sure.
Money is definitely a concern but the drone is the biggest concern. I’m actually okay with loud, drone, burbles, etc as long as I can drive quietly in efficient mode.

If I can get rid of the drone by replacing one piece, then I may look to try to trade someone for their stock setup.

Just out of curiosity, what does a full MPE setup run? Maybe I sell the AA race setup that came with the car and use the money towards an MPE setup?
Quick search: seems to be about $3,700, its pricey.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #30
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is that new or used? And is it just the muffler? I’m not sure what makes up the entire system. Would I keep my AA catless downpipe and single mid pipe?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #31
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what does a full MPE setup run? Maybe I sell the AA race setup that came with the car and use the money towards an MPE setup?
And when you buy a new MPE "kit" you need to cut your stock exhaust flange off and attach it to the kit (mid and rear). Only a factory car ordered with MPE will have the rare "whole MPE" including flange. Of course if you buy a pre-used MPE here on the boards it should already have a flange section added. Some guys try to sell the MPE "muffler only" without the rear section pipes or valves, which is almost impossible to reuse.
      11-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #32
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You have no resonators this is the problem. Have them added or change to a system with them.
I’ve had a few people suggest this including the j day ship I go to. Does the resonator get added to the mid pipe or do I replace the entire mid pipe? Any suggestions on model?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #33
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

#resonators
#custom
It not restrict power, it just lower to stop the drone. Burbles are more quiet in lower revs but I can enjoy my car with fully open exhaust valves in same time with downpipes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #34
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Usually people pair the Signature with stock cats because the Sig seems to amplify volume while lowering tone. I used 200cpi sport cats and it does get attention, but I did it to improve turbo flow while keeping stink down. On several drive/cruise meet ups guys behind me said "that sounds damn good and mean!".
Please keep in mind I'm new to the M4 and exhaust systems. What I've learned is the car came with the AA race setup. I have catless down pipes, a single mid pipe and signature exhaust. What I'm trying to get to is, quiet, no vibration, and no drone when in efficient mode. I don't care what happens in Sport mode. I also don't care about power or performance.

Your setup sounds like what I'm looking for. What is 200cpi sport cat? Is it a cat that i can add to the existing downpipe? Or should I add a resnonator to the existing mid pipe if that's what is normally done or replace the mid pipe all together?

Please explain your exact set up and/or what I need change to get to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #35
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you swap out the AA Signature kit to the AA single midpipe you can ask that the two midpipe extensions get the resonators added. The resonated mid extensions would quiet down the pops coming down from your DPs.

Then you need a rear section...stock would do you okay, since you have downpipes and the big rear cross-baffle can would make Efficient Mode most quiet. With the valves open the exhaust would run straight through. A Remus or Dinan rear would have Efficient a bit louder since the cam is smaller, but valves open is still straight through.
      11-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #36
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

@keiridin here's the pic of ER sport cats that you asked for in our PM.
Attached Images