BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-26-2021, 01:53 AM   #1
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (comp)

Vroom vs Carmax

Hi everyone,

Still on the quest of finding either an F80 or F82 in 6 speed -- and I ran across to similarly spec'd models on Vroom and Carmax. The Carmax F82 (2016) has 21,000 miles and sunroof, while the Vroom F82 (also 2016) has about 19,000 miles with CF roof. The Carmax one must be shipped from Florida ($2k), but it was priced lower too -- all things considered, both are similarly priced out the door (approx. $48k).

I plan on purchasing a vehicle protection plan from whichever dealer I end up going with. I've heard a lot of good things about MaxCare, but not a lot about Vroom's vehicle protection plan. Does anyone have any experience with Vroom?

Also - any concerns about shipping car through carmax or vroom? Not being able to see the car on the lot really sucks, and I won't get the shipping costs refunded - but finding a locally sourced 6 speed has proven to be challenging.
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 05:22 AM   #2
heyitsnewtome
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCoverRoll View Post
Hi everyone,

Still on the quest of finding either an F80 or F82 in 6 speed -- and I ran across to similarly spec'd models on Vroom and Carmax. The Carmax F82 (2016) has 21,000 miles and sunroof, while the Vroom F82 (also 2016) has about 19,000 miles with CF roof. The Carmax one must be shipped from Florida ($2k), but it was priced lower too -- all things considered, both are similarly priced out the door (approx. $48k).

I plan on purchasing a vehicle protection plan from whichever dealer I end up going with. I've heard a lot of good things about MaxCare, but not a lot about Vroom's vehicle protection plan. Does anyone have any experience with Vroom?

Also - any concerns about shipping car through carmax or vroom? Not being able to see the car on the lot really sucks, and I won't get the shipping costs refunded - but finding a locally sourced 6 speed has proven to be challenging.
thanks!
I had a great experience at CarMax. I wanted a DCT car. I wanted a CF roof but decided to settle when I found a car that ticked all the other boxes I was after.
There have been a few issues with the car and they have replaced the issues with little to no hassle. I have just had to actually talk to a service person in person to get it handled.

My car was close enough to be shipped for free.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 08:17 AM   #3
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
Vroom is just as bad as Carvana and I would never buy another car through them. Definitely go with Carmax.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I’ve heard Carmax is great to buy from when purchasing expensive vehicles near the end of factory warranty as their service plans are fantastic (which you’d have to buy of course). It’s sucks they won’t deal on the prices of their vehicles, but nothing’s perfect. Hope you find a M4 soon they’re wonderful cars!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 09:27 AM   #5
heyitsnewtome
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I was able to extend my warranty out to 100,000 miles for around 3grand I think, there is a $500 deductible, but that is a lot cheaper then a new DCT or a new S55 is my crank decides to grenade.
You can do a 24 hour test drive, as well as 30 days money back as long as you don't put more then 1500 miles on it. They also include MaxCare for 90 days free. I had them replace my passenger sunvisor as the mirror was cracked, and my driver's headlight assembly as it also had a crack in it. They just sent me the parts, and I am doing the install. It saves them money, and I know I am doing it right. If you aren't a DIYer, they can do the work. I just didn't want to make the drive. I am about 45 miles away from the nearest Carmax. Unfortunately, they did put a new set of tires on my M4, and they are Hankook, instead of Michelins. But, I am thinking I will install a set of Michelins and just sell my Hankook's in the classifieds.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

CarMax covered 4K+ worth of repairs for me. At first they wanted to have me pay about 500 on top of my deductible because of dealers labor rate but the dealer caved in so did CarMax and they met in the middle to do me that favor (for the hourly rate).

Issues would've been 2-3k at an Indy so my warranty has basically paid for itself. Dealership level work with a loaner like it's an OEM warranty.

Never heard about Vroom and have done extensive research on warranties
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2021, 10:08 AM   #7
rockstar b
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

I bought my M4 from Carmax. I soon found out that both turbos were leaking. They replaced both with brand new BMW units and also replaced a rear diff mount under the initial purchase warranty.
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
After selling my wife's Jeep Wrangler to Carvana, which is very similar to Vroom, only they offered more money ($29,800 for a 2013 with 64k miles) and I found the car on their website with the exact same bald original tires that I had thrown back on it to sell the car, I will never use them to buy a car. The guy that came to inspect it literally turned the car on, checked the mileage, cut me a check, and put it on a tow truck. Truck was gone within 20 minutes.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #9
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone! Since CarMax (and also Vroom) have a return policy on car purchases, did any of you consider a purchase inspection after taking possession of the car? I understand that they're pretty thorough in checking out the cars before selling, but I was wondering if they would check things for warning signs of crank hub failure (for example) or any other S55 specific issues that might crop up.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #10
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Yes I did a PPI after buying from CarMax and that got carmax to fix some issues that were found. Highly recommend carmax and the maxcare warranty, but definitely get an inspection after you buy it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #11
J-Pizzle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3C  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
F80 6MT in the PNW was definitely a hard find, I picked up my F80 from Chicago. Including shipping it was cheaper than what a local dealer wanted for a similar vehicle.

But back to your issue, I don't have an opinion either way as I never have used any of those services, but when spending that much money, I definitely want to see it before I buy it unless it's brand new (which mine was). If you find paint issues or other small nits do those companies follow through and repair the problems? Or is it buyer beware?
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 09:16 PM   #12
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pizzle View Post
F80 6MT in the PNW was definitely a hard find, I picked up my F80 from Chicago. Including shipping it was cheaper than what a local dealer wanted for a similar vehicle.
Agreed - there is one manual 2017 M4 at BMW NW in Fife right now, and they want $58k for it - granted, it has less than 20k miles (plus comp pack) but it's out of warranty -- $58k seems outrageous to me. There is also a manual 2016 M3 at Land Rover at Lynnwood -- I test drove this one and I think there may be wiggle room to negotiate, but it does not have adaptive suspension or backup camera, which I'd like as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pizzle View Post
But back to your issue, I don't have an opinion either way as I never have used any of those services, but when spending that much money, I definitely want to see it before I buy it unless it's brand new (which mine was). If you find paint issues or other small nits do those companies follow through and repair the problems? Or is it buyer beware?
Yeah - sounds like I'd have to either return the vehicle or see if they'll cover fixing any small issues. Vroom, for example, will point out things that they'll definitely won't fix -- Carmax doesnt do that, and based on what folks are saying, it sounds like they'll work with you to make it right.

The bigger challenge for me is the transportation cost -- for Carmax, to ship from Florida, I'd have to pay $2k. This is a nonrefundable fee, so if I decide to return the car, I'm out $2k. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with this - which is why I was wondering what people's experience has been with Carmax.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 10:40 PM   #13
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep

Well - this answers my question about Vroom -- a big nope.

Which is a bummer, because they have several M3 and M4 with manual transmission listed on their website.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 06:04 PM   #14
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Agreed - there is one manual 2017 M4 at BMW NW in Fife right now, and they want $58k for it - granted, it has less than 20k miles (plus comp pack) but it's out of warranty -- $58k seems outrageous to me. There is also a manual 2016 M3 at Land Rover at Lynnwood -- I test drove this one and I think there may be wiggle room to negotiate, but it does not have adaptive suspension or backup camera, which I'd like as well.

Yeah - sounds like I'd have to either return the vehicle or see if they'll cover fixing any small issues. Vroom, for example, will point out things that they'll definitely won't fix -- Carmax doesnt do that, and based on what folks are saying, it sounds like they'll work with you to make it right.

The bigger challenge for me is the transportation cost -- for Carmax, to ship from Florida, I'd have to pay $2k. This is a nonrefundable fee, so if I decide to return the car, I'm out $2k. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with this - which is why I was wondering what people's experience has been with Carmax.
I just bought a 2018 with 17k miles for 55k Circle BMW of Eatontown, NJ.
      02-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #15
squareforce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M340i

Quote:
Well - this answers my question about Vroom -- a big nope.

Which is a bummer, because they have several M3 and M4 with manual transmission listed on their website.

I feel somewhat relieved now. There was a 2016 white on SO 6MT that I had pending on Vroom but I cancelled accidentally then almost immediately someone else hopped on it and purchased it.

After watching the video and reading the comments I don't feel regret anymore for not buying it sooner.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2021, 10:42 PM   #16
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareforce View Post
I feel somewhat relieved now. There was a 2016 white on SO 6MT that I had pending on Vroom but I cancelled accidentally then almost immediately someone else hopped on it and purchased it.

After watching the video and reading the comments I don't feel regret anymore for not buying it sooner.
Yep - same here. I had started the process with them but they kept delaying my trade-in appraisal, and after speaking to 4 different people someone finally manually ran the appraisal -- only to come back $3000 less than Carmax.

I actually started the process of transferring a car via CarMax - but then decided against it... $2,000 for shipping cost is too risky for me if the car didn't work out.

Back to square one again ... oh well!
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2021, 11:24 PM   #17
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone for your help and input!

I ended up at a bricks and mortars dealership and took home a 2018 F80 M3 with competition package and DCT ... really was hoping for a manual gearbox but I got impatient :-). It only has 18k miles and still 24 months of warranty left. The dealer gave a better trade-in value than CarMax and Vroom, and given the low mileage and the comp package, I couldn't resist...

Name:  IMG_4491 (2).jpg
Views: 703
Size:  566.0 KB

Curiously, this car did not come with the 666M wheels - the prior owner opted for the black 763m wheels.. I think it works well for this color, although I really need to watch for curbs a lot more closely...

Name:  IMG_4492 (2).jpg
Views: 700
Size:  528.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 02:59 PM   #18
J-Pizzle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3C  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Congrats on the new ride! Looks good and understand how you can get impatient. That's why I had to find mine in Chicago and had it shipped back to the PNW. I know you will enjoy it 6MT or DCT. Wheels do look good with that color.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #19
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Grats on the sweet ride. DCT is amazing I'm sure you'll love it too!
Appreciate 0