European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #1
NewF82m4
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

MT issues + drivetrain malfunction error

Hi all,

Driving a 2015 f82 mt 65km on the car or 40k miles

To start, idk if anyone else experiences this in their mt, but when releasing the clutch slowly sometimes my rpm drop too fast and the car bogs and occasionally stalls. The pedal feel is inconsistent and from what I’ve been told the clutch delay valve restriction is primarily the culprit.

I let the car warm up for 10 minute

The above happened just earlier today except I think I released the clutch a bit to quick and I caught it and pressed the clutch again. Upon attempting to release the clutch again, the car bogged but did not stall out. My rpm gauge went red and and I got the drivetrain malfunction error + limp mode. I’m dreading the crank hub fix but I think that’s what slipped on me. Luckily I was 300ft from my house when this happened so I limped it back to the driveway.

And clues as to what this may be or if anyone experienced the same thing please let me know your thoughts. Regardless I’m leaning toward the hub fix but it may also be something else.

Edit: I had the car since 58km, and I’ve never tracked it or beat on it. I do drive rpm heavy… usually shift around 3k … 4K on the highway if I’m feeling frisky
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewF82m4 View Post
Hi all,

Driving a 2015 f82 mt 65km on the car or 40k miles

To start, idk if anyone else experiences this in their mt, but when releasing the clutch slowly sometimes my rpm drop too fast and the car bogs and occasionally stalls. The pedal feel is inconsistent and from what I've been told the clutch delay valve restriction is primarily the culprit.

I let the car warm up for 10 minute

The above happened just earlier today except I think I released the clutch a bit to quick and I caught it and pressed the clutch again. Upon attempting to release the clutch again, the car bogged but did not stall out. My rpm gauge went red and and I got the drivetrain malfunction error + limp mode. I'm dreading the crank hub fix but I think that's what slipped on me. Luckily I was 300ft from my house when this happened so I limped it back to the driveway.

And clues as to what this may be or if anyone experienced the same thing please let me know your thoughts. Regardless I'm leaning toward the hub fix but it may also be something else.

Edit: I had the car since 58km, and I've never tracked it or beat on it. I do drive rpm heavy… usually shift around 3k … 4K on the highway if I'm feeling frisky
Have you scanned it with any OBD tools? What codes, if any?

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

It does sound like you clutched-in too long and rev-match dropped your revs to idle between shifts. If you accidentally clutch-out fast as if rev-match was holding your RPMs up but you're really at idle it's very hard on the drivetrain. It's similar to a money shift. I hope you just pissed off the DME when you bogged out, and things are still intact with the valve train.

I learned all this by accident while I had my hub fix and CBC on. I was slowing from 60, downshifted to 2nd but clutched too long, and the tires dragged skidding as the revs whizzed up high. Scared the sh!t outta me.
      10-11-2021, 08:25 PM   #4
NewF82m4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82KPowers View Post
Have you scanned it with any OBD tools? What codes, if any?
Doing this tomorrow… we’ll what pops up. The error went away after I turned it off and I never got a check engine light.

I turned it on again afterwards and waited to see if any errors were thrown. Nothing. Drove it my neighborhood to see if the acceleration felt off, bad idle or any unwanted or unusual sounds… nothing. I’m going to do my plugs and bleed out the brake/clutch lines plus remove the clutch delay restriction. Hopefully that’ll give it a more consistent feeling from 0-start. Probably start thinking about the crank hub to, just in case… rip money

Last edited by NewF82m4; 10-11-2021 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:30 PM   #5
NewF82m4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
It does sound like you clutched-in too long and rev-match dropped your revs to idle between shifts. If you accidentally clutch-out fast as if rev-match was holding your RPMs up but you're really at idle it's very hard on the drivetrain. It's similar to a money shift. I hope you just pissed off the DME when you bogged out, and things are still intact with the valve train.

I learned all this by accident while I had my hub fix and CBC on. I was slowing from 60, downshifted to 2nd but clutched too long, and the tires dragged skidding as the revs whizzed up high. Scared the sh!t outta me.
I guess I should have given more details… I was at a stop sign. I get these issues when I’m starting and stopping a lot.. it’s nerve racking in traffic on an incline lol.

I’ll stop… if I release the clutch to quick my rpms drop quick and the car won’t move (this sometimes happens even when I release slowly) … I’ll clutch in.. save it from stalling… then try again and sometimes it bogs it’s way up towards 1k rpm and beyond and it drive fine.. or on the more rare occasion it’ll stall out on me.

I was told a lot of MT guys in the e46 and e90 community get the clutch delay valve deleted or in our case the f8x has a restriction in the delay valve “regulating “ fluid flow. I’ve been hearing the difference is night and day.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 07:33 AM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Is rev-matching turned on or off?
      10-12-2021, 07:52 AM   #7
NewF82m4
Rep

Quote:
Is rev-matching turned on or off?
On… can’t turn it off unless in sport+ mode
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:57 AM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure… my CDV is in there and I have no problems. I'm thinking you're not new to stick and have plenty of experience with fading in a clutch…
      10-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
NewF82m4
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure… my CDV is in there and I have no problems. I'm thinking you're not new to stick and have plenty of experience with fading in a clutch…
Haven’t driven stick in roughly 6 years… but that was before I got the m4 .. I’ve had it for 6 months now. More often than not it engages so smoothly but sometimes it doesn’t respond proportionally to my inputs and it gets temperamental and boggy/stalls. This is first time it gave me a warning
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haven't driven stick in roughly 6 years… but that was before I got the m4 .. I've had it for 6 months now. More often than not it engages so smoothly but sometimes it doesn't respond proportionally to my inputs and it gets temperamental and boggy/stalls. This is first time it gave me a warning
That's enough experience to know how things should work. Yeah it sounds like an intermittent problem with your rev-matching. I don't know if that's a SW update fix or a check-coding fix. If you're not tuned and have warranty I'd go see the dealer, otherwise I'd contact Kubax86 and pay for a checkup.
      10-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #11
NewF82m4
Rep

Quote:
That's enough experience to know. Yeah it sounds like an intermittent problem with your rev-matching. I don't know if that's a SW update fix or a check-coding fix. If you're not tuned and have warranty I'd go see the dealer, otherwise I'd contact Kubax86 and pay for a checkup.
I’m flushing my brake fluid and doing my clutch line with it and the delete this weekend. I’ll look into the update as well. I’m thinking there might be an air bubble in the line. I’ll inspect for leaks. 2015, no warranty unfortunately and I didn’t get one when buying.. was like another $6k on top
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5394.00
      10-12-2021, 09:14 AM   #12
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Good thinking there might be a bubble and flushing the fluid. Hoping that's your fix.
      10-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #13
NewF82m4
Rep

Quote:
Good thinking there might be a bubble and flushing the fluid. Hoping that's your fix.
Shop flopped on me for the weekend so I’ll be upgrading to stainless lines and cdv delete next weekend. Cars been running great since the incident, no hiccups or warnings.

I think you maybe be on to something as well with the software for the rev matching because I did something similar but in sport+ today and I was able to catch the clutch before the engine started to bucking. Regardless, I’ll be doing the clutch line anyway so I can get the cdv out.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 10:02 PM   #14
NewF82m4
Rep

Quote:
Did my brake and clutch flush + delay valve deleted… honestly the car feels amazing. No more unpredictable clutch feel or clutch chatter. When the the clutch would f*ck off before, it chattered quite a bit. No more issue…. My idle is also surprisingly stable but a bit higher 600rpm… use to rest at 500 rpm and hunted a bit. Also my throw out bearing is quieter and pressing the clutch down when parked doesn’t move my rpms at all.

The change from first to second is seamless as before it use to be jerky no matter much I tried to control the clutch. I can also catch the clutch if I release too soon or too late and it doesn’t give me any attitude.

10/10 would recommend to anyone in an MT car… do yourself the favour and spend the $150 to get this done

Last edited by NewF82m4; 10-25-2021 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5394.00
      11-05-2021, 05:52 PM   #15
Jwild90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04'E46ZHP 20' F82M4Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Did my brake and clutch flush + delay valve deleted… honestly the car feels amazing. No more unpredictable clutch feel or clutch chatter. When the the clutch would f*ck off before, it chattered quite a bit. No more issue…. My idle is also surprisingly stable but a bit higher 600rpm… use to rest at 500 rpm and hunted a bit. Also my throw out bearing is quieter and pressing the clutch down when parked doesn't move my rpms at all.

The change from first to second is seamless as before it use to be jerky no matter much I tried to control the clutch. I can also catch the clutch if I release too soon or too late and it doesn't give me any attitude.

10/10 would recommend to anyone in an MT car… do yourself the favour and spend the $150 to get this done
did you take your old one out and drilled the hole? or get new one and drill the hole?

nvm found ppl using other ways to get the cdv out with out drilling 🤭
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 06:04 PM   #16
Jwild90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04'E46ZHP 20' F82M4Comp

I've noticed clutch releasing/engagement point feeling different on colder days below 40 ( not really consider cold) when car is cold.

like I'll put the car in first gear and start to give gas as I'm releasing the clutch to start moving, and car feels like I'm releasing clutch too quick with out guving enough gas where it would cause car to jerk, almost like a beginner manual driver learning how to drive stick, so I would have to clutch in and give slightly more gas and release clutch even slower....

I've noticed this happening couple of times only on cold start and disappears as car is warmed up.

I've had this car since brand new and I've been driving manual over 10 years. so I know it's not me... and it never does it other then when it starts to get cold. so was planning on deleting the delay valve bs and hope that solves the issue.

not sure if anyone had similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:11 PM   #17
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
I guess I should have given more details… I was at a stop sign. I get these issues when I’m starting and stopping a lot.. it’s nerve racking in traffic on an incline lol.

I’ll stop… if I release the clutch to quick my rpms drop quick and the car won’t move (this sometimes happens even when I release slowly) … I’ll clutch in.. save it from stalling… then try again and sometimes it bogs it’s way up towards 1k rpm and beyond and it drive fine.. or on the more rare occasion it’ll stall out on me.

I was told a lot of MT guys in the e46 and e90 community get the clutch delay valve deleted or in our case the f8x has a restriction in the delay valve “regulating “ fluid flow. I’ve been hearing the difference is night and day.
Since you're talking about the engine bogging to 1K rpm, are you actually hitting the accelerator as you're releasing the clutch? These modern cars will let you get the car moving w/o touching the accelerator if you release the clutch slowly but that is definitely the wrong way to get a manual transmisison car going. You MUST apply a decent amt of throttle and get revs up when starting from a dead stop. If you are on a hill, you definitely need to rev it up even more or the car will do exactly as you describe, i.e. bog and die. This is 100% normal behavior for any manual transmission car.
Appreciate 0