ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #45
oldkingdom
Executive Producer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 F82 M4 (YAS/Silverstone)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 BMW Z4 35is  [8.00]
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Says available to ship 12/22 now. I snoozed. Still a great deal so don't see passing it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #46
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

When i ordered mine (last day of November), it had an estimated delivery date of 12/19. My wife told me today that a package arrived for me. I haven't ordered anything else, so i assume that the package is this kit. Well ahead of the estimated date. Ahead of me get my car even
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #47
Deviant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
It made a big difference on my HK system in my M4, was an easy install, and IMO, well worth the price.

I still think it needs some sort of sub, and I am working with musicarnw on exactly what I am going to get, but the Bavsound Stage one is definitely worth it.
LMK what you decide to go with and what you think of it. I was looking at doing both of those options as well. I can't stand the HK system. It's very fatiguing.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #48
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

This is really starting to annoy me. Be do bad this problem with my e90. My passenger side rear speakers right by the armrest always rattle/squeaks at above 70% volume. At first I thought it was my eq setting. After putting back to stock settings I'm still experiencing the same thing. I remember seeing a couple post about this same problem. Anyone have a solution?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 01:01 AM   #49
Jays335is
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWcoupe View Post
This is really starting to annoy me. Be do bad this problem with my e90. My passenger side rear speakers right by the armrest always rattle/squeaks at above 70% volume. At first I thought it was my eq setting. After putting back to stock settings I'm still experiencing the same thing. I remember seeing a couple post about this same problem. Anyone have a solution?
I've taken my M4 into service three times for the same issue: rear right-hand side speakers above armrest. There is a static/squeaky sound that emits from it at 50%+ volume. At first, the shop replaced the speakers themselves-didn't solve the issue. Second and third visit, replaced the amp- yet still hasn't fixed the problem. I will be taking the car in for the fourth time in the near future. I have little hope that this annoyance with be resolved..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #50
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays335is
Quote:
I've taken my M4 into service three times for the same issue: rear right-hand side speakers above armrest. There is a static/squeaky sound that emits from it at 50%+ volume. At first, the shop replaced the speakers themselves-didn't solve the issue. Second and third visit, replaced the amp- yet still hasn't fixed the problem. I will be taking the car in for the fourth time in the near future. I have little hope that this annoyance with be resolved..
Thanks for you input man. Yes definitely stinks! Not happy with this new Harmon kardon system at all and that rear speaker just brings it to the next level for me. Hope they find the solution! Good luck and keep me posted please!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #51
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Thanks for you input man. Yes definitely stinks! Not happy with this new Harmon kardon system at all and that rear speaker just brings it to the next level for me. Hope they find the solution! Good luck and keep me posted please!
Replace them with BavSound Stage 1. Many HK owners on this forum has done it, including Keto who wrote a long review on it. I got hi-fi, now running BavSound Stage 1. I can tell you the speakers upgrade were worth every penny. The photo below doesn't show justice of actually hearing it.

Get BavSound Stage 1. Flatten out all your EQ setting. A good sound system with a good sound source (CD or high kb/s source) should not require you to mess with your EQ. The EQ is professionally tuned by the studio/artist with very high end equipment. BavSound speakers will bring life into those tired HK/Hi-Fi system. HK hasn't made anything amazing for years, the bass is flat/tweeters are weak/mids are tiring. I'm not sure why BMW still partner with them. ELS (Acura), Mark Levinson (Lexus), and Bose (most brands) will blow BMW's HK system out of the water. I heard B&O in a Bimmer before, but it's not worth $5k.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #52
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Quote:
Replace them with BavSound Stage 1. Many HK owners on this forum has done it, including Keto who wrote a long review on it. I got hi-fi, now running BavSound Stage 1. I can tell you the speakers upgrade were worth every penny. The photo below doesn't show justice of actually hearing it.

Get BavSound Stage 1. Flatten out all your EQ setting. A good sound system with a good sound source (CD or high kb/s source) should not require you to mess with your EQ. The EQ is professionally tuned by the studio/artist with very high end equipment. BavSound speakers will bring life into those tired HK/Hi-Fi system. HK hasn't made anything amazing for years, the base is flat/tweeters are weak/mids are tiring. I'm not sure why BMW still partner with them. ELS (Acura), Mark Levinson (Lexus), and Bose (most brands) will blow BMW's HK system out of the water. I heard B&O in a Bimmer before, but it's not worth $5k.
I really would upgrade to the bav1. But two things holding me back. 1 I really loved my Harmon kardon with eq settings I can't seem to remember. 2 I just hate ripping my new car apart since there's already creaking from certain parts of the car already stock. Btw does it come with a new amp?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #53
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Same amp, just new speakers, but it really makes a difference.

While you have the door panels off, you can put in some sound deadening, and some felt to help with any perceived creaks.
      12-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #54
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

No new amp required. BavSound speakers are more efficient, produce clearer/bigger sound, and create a surround sound feeling for the listener. Per Dave, I also added sound deadening in the process to remove any rattles.

It's a 2.5hr install. Worth the time and money.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #55
agagom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 YMB

Quote:
I also had rattle from my rear passenger side speakers when volume is larger than around 50% (and it is gone when I press the speaker grill with my hand).

I fixed it myself by stuffing felt tapes between the speaker rim and the panel interior (mine is cloth interior.)

It's just a few minute process to identify the rattling speaker, cutting the felt tape in round shape, and placing it below the speaker rim. No need to take apart the panels or anything. I think it's worth try for those who have similar speaker rattle.

Last edited by agagom; 12-28-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #56
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Gonna have to try these both. Pretty disappointed in the HK at this point. I'm past the point in my life where I'm willing to buy audio upgrades for cars tho.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #57
JacobF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80-SO/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Gonna have to try these both. Pretty disappointed in the HK at this point. I'm past the point in my life where I'm willing to buy audio upgrades for cars tho.
It's not like your throwing two 18"'s in trunk. you spent 70k/80k on a car and don't feeling like spending another $750 (if the sale is still on) to replace a sound system that you seem so disappointed with, just saying.

** full HK kit for $717 plus i think you can get an additional 10% off. (this includes an $80 backorder discount I now see)

Last edited by JacobF80; 01-03-2015 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: adding comment
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #58
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobF80 View Post
It's not like your throwing two 18"'s in trunk. you spent 70k/80k on a car and don't feeling like spending another $750 (if the sale is still on) to replace a sound system that you seem so disappointed with, just saying.

** full HK kit for $717 plus i think you can get an additional 10% off. (this includes an $80 backorder discount I now see)
Has nothing to do with the money. I just dont want to tear apart the new car to put the sound system in and possibly introduce rattles which I have 0 now.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #59
JacobF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Has nothing to do with the money. I just dont want to tear apart the new car to put the sound system in and possibly introduce rattles which I have 0 now.
Gotcha, popping off a couple door panels isn't exactly "tearing apart the car" though... if you check other threads, people have reported a fairly easy install.

Anyway.. good luck with the equalizer.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #60
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobF80 View Post
Gotcha, popping off a couple door panels isn't exactly "tearing apart the car" though... if you check other threads, people have reported a fairly easy install.

Anyway.. good luck with the equalizer.
I think it is somewhere in the middle between the two descriptions. Some of it was easy, but some of it was a bitch. Either way it is time consuming and not a way I want to spend part of my Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning again. If there is a next time, I'm paying somebody to install it.

Last edited by minn19; 01-04-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #61
JacobF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I think it is somewhere in the middle between the two descriptions. Some of it was easy, but some of it was a bitch. Either way it is time consuming and not a way I want to spend part of my Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning again. If there is a next time, I'm paying somebody to install it.
yeah, I can't wait to spend some weekends working on the car!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #62
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

My apologies to everyone, I had a very easy time with no issues on my install. I thought the video provided by Bavsound was great, and made things pretty easy. On the other hand, I enjoy working on a car, and have done multiple audio installs in my previous vehicles.
      01-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #63
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
During the BavSound install, I added sound deadening. I also used zip ties and 3M friction tape to secure all loose wires. So far, no rattles but just great sound that floods my cabin. BMW should fire HK and hire BavSound to manage their audio division. Have I mentioned OEM speakers are pathetic (looking and sounding)?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #64
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
During the BavSound install, I added sound deadening. I also used zip ties and 3M friction tape to secure all loose wires. So far, no rattles but just great sound that floods my cabin. BMW should fire HK and hire BavSound to manage their audio division. Have I mentioned OEM speakers are pathetic (looking and sounding)?
You had HiFi tho right now HK? I wonder how much of a difference it makes when you already have HK.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #65
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
You had HiFi tho right now HK? I wonder how much of a difference it makes when you already have HK.
I have HK and did the Bavsound HK upgrade. I can tell a big difference and it was worth it to me.

For example; I like Guns and Roses old song Estranged from the Use your Illusion albums. It is a long complex song with a bunch of different instruments and vocal ranges. The stock HK did this song and songs like it no justice because it was fairly muddled and distorted easily if turned up. Now I can here the piano distinctly and the other instruments as well. It represents the different vocal ranges much better now. Overall it is a much much more pleasurable experience. I also like a lot of classical music and that is greatly improved now after the upgrade.

I get not wanting to do the install. Others had an easy time and mine was a mixed bag of serious pain in the ass to easy. If I have to do it again, I will pay somebody for the install. But, for the 700-800 dollar range I don't think there is better, cheaper or easier alternative.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #66
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I have HK and did the Bavsound HK upgrade. I can tell a big difference and it was worth it to me.

For example; I like Guns and Roses old song Estranged from the Use your Illusion albums. It is a long complex song with a bunch of different instruments and vocal ranges. The stock HK did this song and songs like it no justice because it was fairly muddled and distorted easily if turned up. Now I can here the piano distinctly and the other instruments as well. It represents the different vocal ranges much better now. Overall it is a much much more pleasurable experience. I also like a lot of classical music and that is greatly improved now after the upgrade.

I get not wanting to do the install. Others had an easy time and mine was a mixed bag of serious pain in the ass to easy. If I have to do it again, I will pay somebody for the install. But, for the 700-800 dollar range I don't think there is better, cheaper or easier alternative.

Hope that helps.
Sounds like I should have saved my initial HK money and just upgraded the HiFi system.

Anyway I'll call a local shop to check install prices. I'm 6'7" with huge hands. Does not sound like a fun afternoon of cramming myself in the car. lol
Appreciate 0