Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-12-2021, 07:10 AM   #133
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
How do you determine whether to run a 6" or 7" in the rear? I am running 6" in front and currently an 8" divorced rear, but trying to determine what length to go to convert my setup to true coilover rear.

I already have the offset bushings and all the hardware needed, just need to purchase the springs. I am running 6" 600 LB front Eibachs, so was thinking 6" 500 lb rear Eibach or 7" 500 lb. I will also run hyperco helper springs which I already have in front, and are fully bricked when the car is at its height.
6” would require the helper, 8” will not. Since you have the helper, I would run the 6” spring.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 05:26 PM   #134
Pworld10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

Since this seems to be where all the MCS folks are,

is anybody NOT running a helper spring on their setup? especially on the front for clearance? Any issues?

I know it isn't necessary, but seems almost all MCS set-ups i have seen have them.

Look forward to my setup coming in soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:53 PM   #135
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

got them installed a few weeks ago, set the shocks per MCS instructions. Actually just raised the car up a bit since I was scraping on my driveway (still scraping, but that's another topic). Haven't done much driving other than highway since, brief initial impressions:

No more uncomfortable than sport +. You def feel the stiffer springs in speed bumps/potholes but car remains well controlled. roll control obviously much better. Slight increase in NVH, no clunks/loud noises at all, light spring pinging and metal on metal sound, nothing major.

The MCS spring perches/adjustment wrench works better than spanner wrenches so far, we'll see how they hold up in the long run.

Rear articulating weight jacks are nice, thought they were a bit gimmicky but as you can see in the pic the rear spring would definitely have significant side loads/bending forces were it not for the articulation. Adjustment seems to not be bad, one side was very easy (via hole on bottom of control arm and an extension and 13mm socket), other was not as easy for whatever reason and ended up rounding out the edges of the adjustment rod head a bit. The portion of the GC adjuster that goes into the subframe has a rubber o ring around it and prevents it from just spinning, nice touch.

as mentioned i ended up raising the car up a bit since I was scraping on my drive way. what kind of rake is everyone running? I'm about almost 1" (measuring from rocker panel behind front wheel, in front of rear wheel) to help clear my driveway. BW recommends 1/4" iirc.
Attached Images

Last edited by heyyouduh; 07-17-2021 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 05:16 PM   #136
dooly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4cs

heyyouduh

having similar questions that you had getting into an MCS setup for my car and have some questions for you

1. What ride height did you end up with?

2. Have you run into any issues since the install?

3. How is the ride on the street?

4. Is there anything you would change if you had to do it all over again?

Last edited by dooly; 08-18-2021 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 05:29 PM   #137
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
heyyouduh

What spring length are you using on the rear with the GC weight jacks?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 01:59 PM   #138
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooly View Post
heyyouduh

having similar questions that you had getting into an MCS setup for my car and have some questions for you

1. What ride height did you end up with?

2. Have you run into any issues since the install?

3. How is the ride on the street?

4. Is there anything you would change if you had to do it all over again?
1. I forgot the measurements I'll take a pic and post it once Im at a computer.
2. None. I can't remember if I read somewhere the rear height via GC weight jacks can be adjusted with car on ground but I found it to be difficult with hand tools so had to lift car up. But not a complaint, the adjuster is indeed very easy to use (with an articulating socket and extension), much easier than traditional adjusters with spanner wrenches.
3. Not bad. Slight increase in more NVH, no more uncomfortable than Sport+ overall. Rebound damping set at BW/MCS recommended starting point and have taken with and babies and not alot of complaining from wife. .. at least not about comfort level lol
4. Possibly go 2 ways right off the bat? I am interested in seeing how they hold up, would hope I can get at least 3 years without too much deterioration in damping quality.

Hope to do a DE soon, will check in after.
Appreciate 1
dooly50.00
      08-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #139
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project M4GTS View Post
heyyouduh

What spring length are you using on the rear with the GC weight jacks?
Standard 8" 2.5id 900 lbs , will post height pic in a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 06:46 PM   #140
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is w/ 275/35/18 tires all around. Front I'm around the middle of the adjustment so have plenty of space to go up or down (6" 600 lbs with helper springs, standard BW set up). Rear as I mentioned 8" 900 lbs. The GC weight jack/height adjuster has about 1/4" thread left in terms of lowering (to lower more you'll need to cut the rod shorter, I didn't see the need to).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dooly50.00
      08-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #141
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
Ok, perfect! I'll go with the 8" rear spring and cut the rod to go lower.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:12 PM   #142
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project M4GTS View Post
Ok, perfect! I'll go with the 8" rear spring and cut the rod to go lower.
with a 13mm articulating socket and long extension changing heights in the rear is easy. I believe adjusting height at the rear OEM location results in more change at the wheel/fenders, ie: I raised the GC weight jacks by ~1/4" and the distance between top of the wheel/fender increased by more than 1/4".

off topic: I just moved away from milton/alpharetta, but still spend alot of time there as family close by. maybe we'll run into each other!
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #143
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyouduh View Post
with a 13mm articulating socket and long extension changing heights in the rear is easy. I believe adjusting height at the rear OEM location results in more change at the wheel/fenders, ie: I raised the GC weight jacks by ~1/4" and the distance between top of the wheel/fender increased by more than 1/4".

off topic: I just moved away from milton/alpharetta, but still spend alot of time there as family close by. maybe we'll run into each other!
You probably already know this, but this is due to the position of the spring on the control arm relative to the position of the wheel hub. The wheel hub is more outboard, so any adjustments to the position of the spring height, will translate to a higher ratio in adjustment for the hub position.

The front height adjustment is ratio is closer to 1:1 because the strut assembly is mounted directly to the spindle/hub.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #144
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Kind of off topic but figured I give it a shot here since several of you are running the rear GC weight jacks here. I recently noticed, incidentally, that the rear springs/GC weight jacks are in different orientation (see this thread I made in the suspension sub forum: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28203167).

I've checked under the car and everything seems good. Was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to check and see if their GC weight jack/springs are not exactly symmetrical left to right either.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #145
dooly
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm about to install the rears as soon as I finish the fronts and I'll lyk how mine look, but I have another question for you.

How many spacers did you use on the shaft for the front damper? Using what GC provided, the threaded shaft sticks out way too much under the hood..

Quote:
Kind of off topic but figured I give it a shot here since several of you are running the rear GC weight jacks here. I recently noticed, incidentally, that the rear springs/GC weight jacks are in different orientation (see this thread I made in the suspension sub forum: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28203167).

I've checked under the car and everything seems good. Was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to check and see if their GC weight jack/springs are not exactly symmetrical left to right either.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:04 PM   #146
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm about to install the rears as soon as I finish the fronts and I'll lyk how mine look, but I have another question for you.

How many spacers did you use on the shaft for the front damper? Using what GC provided, the threaded shaft sticks out way too much under the hood..
iirc GC didn't provide any spacers with their camber plates for me. MCS did and I believe I used a longer spacer underneath the spherical bearing and a smaller one on top of the spherical bearing and it came out pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 03:04 AM   #147
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Quote:

iirc GC didn't provide any spacers with their camber plates for me. MCS did and I believe I used a longer spacer underneath the spherical bearing and a smaller one on top of the spherical bearing and it came out pretty good.
You sure about this? When ordering GC plates you state the suspension manufacturer so they can supply the correct bushings to match the shaft diameter etc. I would also assume they would provide the necessary spacers that you mention. I don't own GC's so not first hand knowledge.
      11-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #148
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
You sure about this? When ordering GC plates you state the suspension manufacturer so they can supply the correct bushings to match the shaft diameter etc. I would also assume they would provide the necessary spacers that you mention. I don't own GC's so not first hand knowledge.
not 100% sure but I do seem to remember MCS sent a box with those bushings and that's what I used I think. The plates themselves were matched for MCS.

My GC order was also weird, there was a delay from their end to their credit as soon as they got the camber plates ready they mailed them out to me so I would receive them on time. One of the camber plates did come assembled incorrectly (the polished piece was mounted in the wrong orientation) but obviously easily corrected, I assume they were in a hurry to get orders out and maybe mine didn't come w/ the bushings?

edit: IIRC all of the small pieces from MCS came in a small rectangular white box? I should say I ordered via Bimmerworld so maybe that was what Bimmerworld prepared.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #149
dooly
Private
United_States
Rep

I purchased my MCS dampers from BimmerWorld as well and in the white box there are the spring perches, rear damper spacers, adjustment tools, and stickers.

In my experience, GC has got to have the worst customer support and QC. On my second set of camber plates from them and this newest set came with 3 of 4 spacers needed and no washers for the camber adjustment screws; although the washers are too thin anyhow and would press into the thrust bearing and cause premature failure so you need thicker washers.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #150
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
In my experience, GC has got to have the worst customer support and QC. On my second set of camber plates from them and this newest set came with 3 of 4 spacers needed and no washers for the camber adjustment screws; although the washers are too thin anyhow and would press into the thrust bearing and cause premature failure so you need thicker washers.
I agree, GC really sucks to work with, and they're inconsistent. Of the three GC plates I currently own one of them has the same issue with the washers as you. GC plates are definitely one you need to give a good look over before installing to save yourself trouble later.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2021, 08:38 PM   #151
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I purchased my MCS dampers from BimmerWorld as well and in the white box there are the spring perches, rear damper spacers, adjustment tools, and stickers.

these are the spacers that came w/ my order; unfortunately I can't confirm if it was from GC or not. I received 2 longer ones and 4 shorter ones. I used 1 long and 1 short each strut.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:34 PM   #152
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
My 2WNR kit has 13/16" of spacers (not including the part that slides into the monoball) that go over the shaft before the GC plate monoball. Then on top of the GC plate monoball the single spacer (that slots into the monoball) plus double nuts to hold the damper shaft in place add up to 1-5/32".

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 10:41 AM   #153
dooly
Private
United_States
Rep

heyyouduh

Those are GC supplied spacers for sure.
Mine came with four of the shorter ones that slot into the monoball and 3 spacers even shorter than that, would have made life easier if I had an even number of them.. ended up using one monoball spacer upside down on the shaft and the 1/4” spacer on top of that, then of course the monoball spacer slotted in from the top.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 04:48 PM   #154
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
heyyouduh

Those are GC supplied spacers for sure.
Mine came with four of the shorter ones that slot into the monoball and 3 spacers even shorter than that, would have made life easier if I had an even number of them.. ended up using one monoball spacer upside down on the shaft and the 1/4” spacer on top of that, then of course the monoball spacer slotted in from the top.
when I was assembling the fronts I was thinking which way would be better and how it could potentially affect available travel... ultimately said screw it and did what seems reasonable and left it at that lol.
Appreciate 0