Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

Tire inflator/Air Compressor/Digital Pressure Gauge

Does anyone have one they love and recommend?

Went to Willow Springs on Saturday and realized the day prior, my tire pressure gauge was missing. Went to Autozone and all they had was a cheap digital. I've never been angrier in my life. I couldn't even read the damned thing.

I tried using the gauge on my battery jumper/air compressor combo and that was junk as well.

I realized, I'm gonna be doing a lot of track days, I need the right tools. I want a tire inflator that is handheld like a cordless drill. Are the gauges on these types of things any good? Or just get a separate, higher quality gauge?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk

What do you recommend?

(I'm also assuming you don't rely on the TPMS sensor on the BMW ?!?)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
paffinity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
I use the B&D portable inflator, along with a Longacre liquid filled pressure gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-.../dp/B074L541Y1

https://www.amazon.com/Longacre-Raci...dp/B0055EFU8I/

In general, no the pressure gauges on the inflators aren't that accurate. Also they don't provide an easy way to deflate that a dedicated gauge would.

Last edited by paffinity; 06-28-2021 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
The Milwaukee M12 inflator is fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite tools.

I use a pricey Longacre digital pressure gauge/pyrometer combo, which I also love, but not totally practical for everyone. I recommend a pressure gauge with a release button so you can deflate and read pretty easily.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
jmg18697.00
      06-28-2021, 08:31 PM   #4
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Throttle View Post
Does anyone have one they love and recommend?

Went to Willow Springs on Saturday and realized the day prior, my tire pressure gauge was missing. Went to Autozone and all they had was a cheap digital. I've never been angrier in my life. I couldn't even read the damned thing.

I tried using the gauge on my battery jumper/air compressor combo and that was junk as well.

I realized, I'm gonna be doing a lot of track days, I need the right tools. I want a tire inflator that is handheld like a cordless drill. Are the gauges on these types of things any good? Or just get a separate, higher quality gauge?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk

What do you recommend?

(I'm also assuming you don't rely on the TPMS sensor on the BMW ?!?)
That's the compressor I use... it's cheap and it gets the job done! However, the pressure reading is off by 2-3 psi. I set it to 2-3 more than what I really want. I rely on my Longacre for accurate readings:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TPMS is slow and inaccurate, but I keep it up during lapping as a ballpark to what's happening to the tires. It's caught my de-beaded rear tire once, although the poor handling of the car at the time was also a good sign!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 08:50 PM   #5
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

My only complaint on liquid filled gages is a really slow response if you are tracking below 45 degrees or so, winter in Texas.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:33 AM   #6
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

+1 on the AVID POWER cordless pump. Previously had the AUTDER. Not enough juice and battery didn't last.

Definitely get a separate gauge. For accuracy reasons and you don't want to be hooking up the compressor every time you need a reading.

Appreciate 0