BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
N55Msport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 15'F30 16'F80

ASD disconnected what a huge difference.

If anyone has been wondering how our cars sound with the ASD off, yesterday was a maintenance day where I bled my brakes, changed my oil, and decided to get into the trunk and unplug the ASD to see what it was like. Wow! I had had no idea just how fake the sound was and just how much of it was pumped into the cabin.

Everything sounds more natural with the exhaust note traveling out and behind the car. I can definitely hear more upfront engine noise almost to the point where it reminds me of my old E46. Highway cabin noise levels are more comfortable and the HK system even sounds better. One thing I also noticed is that the rev matching is considerably quieter as well. Meaning, I can see and feel the rpm's jump, but audibly it's now extremely subtle.

I most likely will get it coded out, but for now its unplugged wrapped in a small micro fiber towel with a zip tie to keep it from banging around.
Definitely not going back.

Last edited by N55Msport; 11-30-2019 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Couple threads on this already, but I agree. I can't imagine why the M engineers even bothered to include this in the car. Even with stock exhaust, it sounds perfectly acceptable without ASD (and better, in my opinion). Preference is subjective, but I'll never understand what BMW thought this adds to the driving experience - to me it sounds freaking weird.

Enthusiasts hate the concept of speaker engine sounds altogether, and non-enthusiasts usually want quieter cars inside. To me, it seems like this was a feature no one asked for, especially on the M model. At least make it a toggle in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55Msport View Post
If anyone has been wondering how our cars sound with the ASD off, yesterday was a maintenance day where I bled my brakes, changed my oil, and decided to get into the trunk and unplug the ASD to see what it was like. Wow! I had had no idea just how fake the sound was and just how much of it was pumped into the cabin.

Everything sounds more natural with the exhaust note traveling out and behind the car. I can definitely hear more upfront engine noise almost to the point where it reminds me of my old E46. Highway cabin noise levels are more comfortable and the HK system even sounds better. One thing I also noticed is that the rev matching is considerably quieter as well. Meaning, I can see and feel the rpm's jump, but audibly it's now extremely subtle.

I most likely will get it coded out, but for now its unplugged wrapped in a small micro fiber towel with a zip tie to keep it from banging around.
Definitely not going back.
Yup!!! First thing I did to the car. Used the Bimmercode app. It was actually really annoying how loud it was in Sport mode. Now I even like the sound and can hear the turbos sometimes, too.

Rev matching is is quiet because the valves are closed for downshifts unless in low rpm's.