Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #67
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick196 View Post
Think M makes too much comprimises. Its a sedan/coupe not a 2 seat sportscar. They want it to be good for the dailydriver and for the track, but thats not possible. its a comprimise

For Porsche 2 seaters its easier , less comprimises. no 2 persons in the back, less- to almost no luggage space ..... Its the same with sport motorcycles always too soft , made for passenger

my last car was a 997 GT3 , i had to replace the original suspension because already at 50k kilometers. it was squaking all the time. Even Porsche wanted to give me 50 % discount on oem , but i didnt want their suspension. I went with Intrax ( its a local company) suspension was much better. Higher quality and serviceable. The oem is not.

I'm waiting for my m4 lci. So I dont know yet how good/bad the suspension is. But if it is bad as i read here sometimes i will upgrade.
I will go with intrax (have experience with m4 racing) or tractive ( that company is also local , 30 km drive)

http://en.intraxracing.nl/laatste-projecten/bmw-m4/

Dont know who's making the magneto suspension. but that one depends a lot on software
Your LCI will be mostly fine. It's the rebound IMO that is too hard, which coupled with the solid mounted rear subframe can cause the car to skip around a bit, and generally not give you that "one dip and done" feeling.
BMW stock compression is really good, but their rebound control sucks. I mean REALLY sucks.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:16 AM   #68
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
Sounds like the real deal this suspension!! Do you need to re-mortgage the house to buy a set though? Any idea on pricing?
I can help in getting one of those. it is about 4800 euros or something like this.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #69
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
These guys are tractive retailers in the US.

http://www.inertialaboratory.com
Did anyone in North America install a set of these?
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #70
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

For anyone wondering about how the Tractive DDA valve compares to the Delphi MRC tech used in cars like the C7 and 1LE, here you go:

Quote:
Thought we'd chime in since we have some familiarity with the MRC dampers...

The MRC dampers are incredible...for one lap on a smooth track.

Yes the MRC dampers are incredibly quick and have a wide dynamic range, which is great. Especially for putting down a hot lap with a pro driver and getting the magazines to write a great review. But they aren't all they're chalked up to be, and we're going to talk about why.

Pros:
• Incredibly quick response time
• Wide dynamic range

Cons:
• Due to magnetic particles, prone to hysteresis, stability, wear, leakage, and sedimentation issues.
• Limited to symmetrical compression vs. rebound curves
• Not serviceable
• Diminished damping capability subject to temperature

Magnetic Particles
The magnetic particles in the MagneRide fluid, at the end of the day, are abrasive. Over time they will wear the seals within the shock rather quickly. On top of that, the shocks aren't serviceable.

Further, the magnetic particles seem to have difficulty de-magnetizing in all situations, which leads to instances of what we call magnetic hysteresis, which can cause instability. See diagram below illustrating this effect.

engineer's notes: "Switching from high to low current, the damping values seem to be more dependent on the previously applied current than on the actual applied current. Accurate damping control seems difficult not knowing exactly how much damping will be applied. The ride might feel somewhat unpredictable."

Symmetrical Curves
Due to the nature of using magnetic fluid, the MRC shocks are bound by a symmetrical rebound vs. compression curve. Ideally, the curves should be asymmetrical. The diagrams below illustrate ideal curves compared to both MRC curves and what we can achieve with the Tractive DDA dampers.

Desired damping curve:

MRC damping curve:

Tractive DDA damping curve:

Temperature Sensitivity
Because the MRC dampers rely solely on magnetic fluid to vary the damping rates, they become more prone to temperature than shocks with more traditional shim and piston arrangements. The graph below illustrates the effect of cold temperatures on the shocks. By comparison, the Tractive DDA valve are designed to operate anywhere between -30 and 140 C (-22 to 284 F).

With all of that said, we aren't knocking the MRC dampers. We've been able to do great things with them on the C7s and new Mustangs and have plans for many other MRC-equipped vehicles. For most people's applications, the MRC dampers are more than sufficient. However, they are limited by design, and it is my personal belief that the Bilstein option is better for most of our Porsche customers, as they may be somewhat limited in adjustment range and response rate, but they are more consistent over use in a performance setting.
Source: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...r-porsche.html

Given the above information, it would seem that the Tractive dampers are unequaled for anyone who wishes to both comfortably daily drive their car and increase their car's track performance. The Bilstein Damptronic coilovers seem like joke compared to these.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #71
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
For anyone wondering about how the Tractive DDA valve compares to the Delphi MRC tech used in cars like the C7 and 1LE, here you go:

Given the above information, it would seem that the Tractive dampers are unequaled for anyone who wishes to both comfortably daily drive their car and increase their car's track performance. The Bilstein Damptronic coilovers seem like joke compared to these.
Yes it is like this. Comfort for DD and really good on track with no body roll in all modes. Perfect combination. I still enjoy the ride and have no issues on this suspension.

This is how the front seats on the lower setting:
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #72
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
Yes it is like this. Comfort for DD and really good on track with no body roll in all modes. Perfect combination. I still enjoy the ride and have no issues on this suspension.

That looks great!

I can't wait to get these on my car later this year.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #73
Acree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting...

Who is the US vendor for this kit?

Past
03 MB E55 AMG, 16 Grigio Medio F80 M3, 11 E92 M3, 13 BRZ, 06 Evo IX, 05 350Z
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #74
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
Who is the US vendor for this kit?
http://www.inertialaboratory.com/
Appreciate 1
Acree377.50
      05-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #75
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post

Quote:
Thought we'd chime in since we have some familiarity with the MRC dampers...

The MRC dampers are incredible...for one lap on a smooth track.

Yes the MRC dampers are incredibly quick and have a wide dynamic range, which is great. Especially for putting down a hot lap with a pro driver and getting the magazines to write a great review. But they aren't all they're chalked up to be, and we're going to talk about why.

Pros:
• Incredibly quick response time
• Wide dynamic range

Cons:
• Due to magnetic particles, prone to hysteresis, stability, wear, leakage, and sedimentation issues.
• Limited to symmetrical compression vs. rebound curves
• Not serviceable
• Diminished damping capability subject to temperature

Magnetic Particles
The magnetic particles in the MagneRide fluid, at the end of the day, are abrasive. Over time they will wear the seals within the shock rather quickly. On top of that, the shocks aren't serviceable.

Further, the magnetic particles seem to have difficulty de-magnetizing in all situations, which leads to instances of what we call magnetic hysteresis, which can cause instability. See diagram below illustrating this effect.

[IMG]https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a352585c8a.png[/IMG]
engineer's notes: "Switching from high to low current, the damping values seem to be more dependent on the previously applied current than on the actual applied current. Accurate damping control seems difficult not knowing exactly how much damping will be applied. The ride might feel somewhat unpredictable."

Symmetrical Curves
Due to the nature of using magnetic fluid, the MRC shocks are bound by a symmetrical rebound vs. compression curve. Ideally, the curves should be asymmetrical. The diagrams below illustrate ideal curves compared to both MRC curves and what we can achieve with the Tractive DDA dampers.

Desired damping curve:
[IMG]https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...11714b80ff.png[/IMG]

MRC damping curve:
[IMG]https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2bb511df66.png[/IMG]

Tractive DDA damping curve:
[IMG]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...00dd865fc0.png[/IMG]

Temperature Sensitivity
Because the MRC dampers rely solely on magnetic fluid to vary the damping rates, they become more prone to temperature than shocks with more traditional shim and piston arrangements. The graph below illustrates the effect of cold temperatures on the shocks. By comparison, the Tractive DDA valve are designed to operate anywhere between -30 and 140 C (-22 to 284 F).

[IMG]https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...01015cf2a2.jpg[/IMG]

With all of that said, we aren't knocking the MRC dampers. We've been able to do great things with them on the C7s and new Mustangs and have plans for many other MRC-equipped vehicles. For most people's applications, the MRC dampers are more than sufficient. However, they are limited by design, and it is my personal belief that the Bilstein option is better for most of our Porsche customers, as they may be somewhat limited in adjustment range and response rate, but they are more consistent over use in a performance setting.

This is basically exactly what I said in another post somewhere in here. MR dampers have lots of downsides. There is a good reason that most automakers have not adopted them.

Internal valve monotubes, such as these Tractives, are basically the best damping technology out there right now.
      07-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #76
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

About to order, are these springs included progressive or linear? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 03:38 AM   #77
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xdrive

Quote:

Hey mate,

How is the ride quality after you lowered it like this ?? I am about to order this suspension and just wanted to know if you are still happy with the suspension over all ?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:55 AM   #78
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Hey mate,

How is the ride quality after you lowered it like this ?? I am about to order this suspension and just wanted to know if you are still happy with the suspension over all ?
Yes I'm still happy with it daily driving. Everithing is the same, more comfortable in comfort with less body roll and more stable it sport and in sport+ modes.
Also I chaged the front sway bar links for the shortes and stronger ones as they die very quiqly at track days.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:56 AM   #79
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
About to order, are these springs included progressive or linear? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #80
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I'm still happy with it daily driving. Everithing is the same, more comfortable in comfort with less body roll and more stable it sport and in sport+ modes.
Also I chaged the front sway bar links for the shortes and stronger ones as they die very quiqly at track days.
Which sway bar links did you buy ?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:52 AM   #81
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Looks progressive, the rears look progressive or are those just integrated helper springs?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #82
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
Looks progressive, the rears look progressive or are those just integrated helper springs?
https://www.drive2.ru/o/b/3154946

here you can find more photos of my kit.

Quote:
Which sway bar links did you buy ?
I don't know, I got it from my suspension garage with no logos on it.
You can get fall line from IND.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 04:42 AM   #83
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased this suspension for my F80 M3 as well!!

I will post photos etc and give feedback once installed!
Appreciate 1
domino_z1196.00
      07-17-2017, 05:37 AM   #84
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have just purchased this suspension for my F80 M3 as well!!

I will post photos etc and give feedback once installed!
Where do you purchase these from, and what cost?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 04:06 AM   #85
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Where do you purchase these from, and what cost?
The Australian dealer is a company by the name of ' TT Suspension'. They are in NSW, If you want the contact details let me know.

Cost is $7700 shipped.
Appreciate 1
domino_z1196.00
      07-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #86
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
The Australian dealer is a company by the name of ' TT Suspension'. They are in NSW, If you want the contact details let me know.

Cost is $7700 shipped.
OUCH!!!!! That is before install, alignment, corner balance.

That is a $10K suspension system, it better be the best thing since slice bread.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 12:19 AM   #87
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
OUCH!!!!! That is before install, alignment, corner balance.

That is a $10K suspension system, it better be the best thing since slice bread.
Everything is more expensive in Austrailia.

It should be around USD 4500. There's a shop in Texas that offers this and details are in one of pages here.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 04:41 AM   #88
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Everything is more expensive in Austrailia.

It should be around USD 4500. There's a shop in Texas that offers this and details are in one of pages here.
Very true, things are generally more expensive here, the shipping is what hurts us.

Oh well, life is short, here for a good time not a long time!
Appreciate 0