EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
Skubalon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

M Laptimer files

I did my first track day last weekend and had a blast. I used the M Laptimer app and love the data it gathered. My question is this... Is there any way to read the data in the mpower files? I have pulled them down to my PC, but the files are in some kind of proprietary format. I just want to read the data in CSV or ssomething similar.
      10-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

As far as I know they can only be read by the Laptimer app...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 01:17 AM   #3
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

i managed to open the .mpower archive with 7zip, and that yielded a bunch of files like:
rpm.far
speed.far
speedRecord.far
etc.

and a single plist file:
metadata.plist

i can't seem to figure out how the .far files are encoded though. It doesn't look compressed, and does use any popular header identifiers- but then again I'm not exactly an expert.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Skubalon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... I changed the file name to .zip and opened it in WinZip.

This is what I get. Now I need to figure out the .far extension. I sent a note to the feedback email on the laptimer app hoping to get some direction.
Attached Images

10-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I doubt BMW would divulge the details ... but looking at the files with the right set of "eyes" reveals patterns. It is possible to decipher it...

Here is a small part of gear.far, first byte is the gear ! last bunch seem to be some kind of timestamp.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i 2014

Did it

The FAR files are mostly 8 bytes (double precision) floats. I had an excel macro done that does the conversion from bytes to excel doubles and then to CSV files. With these files and Dashware, I made the video below:

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 08:26 PM   #7
EasyBimmerCoding
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobroese View Post
The FAR files are mostly 8 bytes (double precision) floats. I had an excel macro done that does the conversion from bytes to excel doubles and then to CSV files. With these files and Dashware, I made the video below:

Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:07 AM   #8
zarique84
Rep
Drives: F30 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobroese View Post

mind sharing your macro, please...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 05:10 PM   #9
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep

So, the MLaptimer is a really cool app, specially if you consider that the car sensors (but the GPS) are very good quality. Recently, I've put together some code that allows to use the app data along with a GoPro video. Even more, if you use a GoPro with GPS and set it up right to get a good quality GPS track, the code will parse the MLaptimer low res GPS track with the high res GPS track from the camera, sync everything together, and output a csv file for rendering videos with Dashware or RaceRender. Even better, it also outputs a .vbo file, which can be used in CT to analyze the driving, with pretty much the same quality (depends on how good you set the GoPro) you would get with a vbox video. Check the results below and pm me if interested.

One interesting thing about the app data is that the accelerometers are not from the smartphone, the cars has its owns sensors (in the ICM or ACM module, don't know for sure) and they are very accurate, if you look carefully to the G graph you can see the weight transfer from front to rear when hitting the gas in the bends.

But even cooler than rendering videos is using CT to analyze the driving. After every track day I keep comparing laps and finding a handfull of driving errors. Usually, my potential best lap is around .8 s faster than the acctual faster lap.

Appreciate 1
TideMD291.50
      01-30-2022, 05:14 PM   #10
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep

New setup: 2 GoPros and picture in picture video

So, another track day done. Lots of fun with other BMW enthusiasts. Also, I tried a new setup for my telemetry rig: Used the GoPro 5 right under the windshield, for better track view and also better GPS signal. And used a GoPro 4 under the sunroof, just to get the driver perspective. Below the result, hope your guys like and, if anyone wants to use a similar rigup, just let me know and I'll explain better how to.

Appreciate 0