proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
sunny997
Rep
Drives: M4

New owner with some basic manual transmission questions

Hi Folks,

Finally went ahead and got my dream car. A 2018 M4 with a 6spd MT. Before this I used to drive a Honda Accord 5spd. I am getting used to the different drive on this car and have a few questions on shifting. Hope you kind folks can give me some advice.

1. On the accord, I used to shift when the rpm was around 2K, as a default I went ahead and did the same on this one (its still in the break in period), but it seemed too early. What is the general advice, shift closer to 3k/4k? The car seems so powerful, that it can easily climb up before I need to shift.

2. While approaching dead stops such as signals and stop signs, I would usually put my accord in neutral early enough and use minimum brakes as needed to get to a stop. Is this ok? should I change my behavior? I believe I started this to conserve fuel and have just stuck onto it.

3. The gear shift seems stiff, some of it I guess is because it is new. how do you figure out that you are picking the right gear for egg when you are downshifting? Sometimes the car seems to perform equally well in 3rd, 2nd or 4th with differing power of course.

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

1) I never have the rpms below 2krpms (in any car except automatics). Around town, in chill mode, I will probably shift at or above 3krpm. If I feel I will need power, I hang around in the 3-4krpm range and shift (well) above 4krpm.

This is how I drove the F80 in Europe and it was during the break-in period. All cars need routine Italian tune-ups, as far as I am concerned.

2) Meh, do whatever you want. I tend to coast to a stop in neutral too. I don't see how it saves brakes. You should never be on the gas if you know you need to stop and are not in a hurry.

3) I didn't feel my shifter was stiff. If you come from an Accord, it may be you are not used to a sporty shifter. My 997TT was stiffer (had a factory SSK).
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
psun786
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82

I am no mean an expert on manual but here is two cents.

On a turbo charged engine, you are better shift at higher RPM to avoid lug the engine. If you do shift at lower RPM, make sure you go easy on the gas.

One disadvantage going neutral early is lose control. If something comes up and you need immediate power, you will need more time to react.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

1. I usually shift around 3k. Shifting at 2k feels like you're lugging it a bit unless you really are just crawling around a parking lot or something. Just keep it below 4K before break-in (if you believe that sort of thing)

2. Some people advocate always having the car in gear while coming to a stop just in case you need to quickly get going again, like someone's about to rear end you or something. With the auto rev match it's easy to downshift multiple gears but I get lazy and put it in neutral as the engine falls below 1.5k or so.

3. The gear stick will feel stiff because it's new. I almost didn't know how to get in to reverse because the lockout was so tight. The dash and M-HUD will display your current gear so it's easy to know which gear you're in.

Also be aware that there is auto rev match on upshifts! (except in Sport+ of course) It makes upshifts super easy just hold to the clutch in and wait for the engine rpms to fall and the ECU will hold it at the appropriate RPM for the next gear. Then you can literally dump the clutch.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny997 View Post
Hi Folks,

Finally went ahead and got my dream car. A 2018 M4 with a 6spd MT. Before this I used to drive a Honda Accord 5spd. I am getting used to the different drive on this car and have a few questions on shifting. Hope you kind folks can give me some advice.

1. On the accord, I used to shift when the rpm was around 2K, as a default I went ahead and did the same on this one (its still in the break in period), but it seemed too early. What is the general advice, shift closer to 3k/4k? The car seems so powerful, that it can easily climb up before I need to shift.

2. While approaching dead stops such as signals and stop signs, I would usually put my accord in neutral early enough and use minimum brakes as needed to get to a stop. Is this ok? should I change my behavior? I believe I started this to conserve fuel and have just stuck onto it.

3. The gear shift seems stiff, some of it I guess is because it is new. how do you figure out that you are picking the right gear for egg when you are downshifting? Sometimes the car seems to perform equally well in 3rd, 2nd or 4th with differing power of course.

Thanks a lot
1. shift at 3k if not accelerating.
2. i do the same. some people downshift to slow down, I dont. depends on how you like to drive.
3. over time, you begin to favor different gears for different driving conditions. For example, i find 3rd gear is too touchy to pass on highways (i am tuned, FYI). I use 4th gear for everything on a highway when driving aggressively. I use 3rd gear in city driving and go straight from 1st to 3rd, skipping second.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

I usually shift when the on screen control display tells me to, if I want to drive efficiently. Else, I shift when I want, but usually skip gears at times too. Never shift from 2nd to 1st if you are over 10 mph. Best to shift into 1st from 2nd, when you're at 5 mph or under.
      08-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
I usually shift when the on screen control display tells me to, if I want to drive efficiently. Else, I shift when I want, but usually skip gears at times too. Never shift from 2nd to 1st if you are over 10 mph. Best to shift into 1st from 2nd, when you're at 5 mph or under.
I shift into 1st above 10 mph but rev match (manually in sport +) when i do so. the car handles it fine. is there a mechanical reason you are making this statement?
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
I would not shift when the on-screen display tells you to.

The thing tells me to go to 6th gear at 35 mph.

There's no fking way I'm doing that.
Appreciate 5
      08-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
I shift into 1st above 10 mph but rev match (manually in sport +) when i do so. the car handles it fine. is there a mechanical reason you are making this statement?
No reason, just personal preference.
      08-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post

LOL I know!!
      08-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Never shift from 2nd to 1st if you are over 10 mph. Best to shift into 1st from 2nd, when you're at 5 mph or under.
Agree with this and i do the same
      08-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post

Agreed. It's absurd.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

OP, my 2015 M4 shifter was vary stiff when new. I had freed up a lot by 1000 miles, and soon thereafter, the action became very light, like a knife through hot butter. Today, after 26,000 miles, it is great, much better than my 2010 E90 335i ever was.

Yours just needs to get broken in, it won't stay stiff and should be very smooth and light by the time you take your car in for the 1200 mile service.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
OP, my 2015 M4 shifter was vary stiff when new. I had freed up a lot by 1000 miles, and soon thereafter, the action became very light, like a knife through hot butter. Today, after 26,000 miles, it is great, much better than my 2010 E90 335i ever was.

Yours just needs to get broken in, it won't stay stiff and should be very smooth and light by the time you take your car in for the 1200 mile service.
All stiff sticks soften with a good beating
Appreciate 2
swagon13521.00
paliknight2191.50
      08-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #15
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Wears the syncros?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #16
eonflux
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny997 View Post
Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot
Congrats on the M4!

I found the graph below online, which should help you figure out when to shift.

1) There is no RPM at which you should shift in all situations. Depends on how much torque/hp you want vs gas mileage vs incline/descent vs other factors. Peak torque is at about 3,000-3,500 RPM and drops off a bit after 6,000. Was your Accord a turbo or not? If not, then the torque curve will be differently shaped, with peak coming on later, and your shift pattern will change with the M4.

2) Coasting like that is OK. Just be prepared to get into gear quickly if you need to.

3) I find my M3 gear box a more rubbery and notchy than I'd like. My Boxster and Audi RS4 gear boxes were more mechanical. But your M4 should loosen up over time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #17
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

50k miles on mine and just had the clutch replaced under warranty - it had minimal wear, so I'll at least comment on my shift patterns.

Here's how I drive when warming up the car/driving modestly:

1. 1st gear to ~10-15mph, shift to 2nd. 2nd gear can comfortably handle going down to 1200-1500rpms without engine lugging, so it's a great low speed gear.

2. 2nd shift to 3rd around 25-30mph. Again, this may bring it below 2k RPM. That's fine. 3rd gear goes greatfrom about 20-25mph to 40-50mph when the engine is cold.

3. 4th gearfrom 40-50mph on up - you can use 4th gear at highway speeds

4. 5th and 6th gear are overdrive/highway gears - the car has plenty of passing power even in 6th gear, but that's all I use them for is higher speed highway.

Lugging an engine isn't about RPM, it's about what the engine can handle. This engine handles ~1200 rpms just fine in lower gears. Should you be WOT at 1200rpms in 4th gear? No. Can you pull from 1500rpms in 3rd at partial throttle no problem? Yes. Maybe even a bit lower.
Appreciate 2
Dr._Who124.50
CanAutM321116.50
      08-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
after past years driving British cars with synchrosmash 1st gear i am now indelibly imprinted with the habit of never ever shifting a moving car into 1st gear.
Appreciate 1
zorrro436.00
      08-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #19
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
after past years driving British cars with synchrosmash 1st gear i am now indelibly imprinted with the habit of never ever shifting a moving car into 1st gear.
+1 unless I am basically crawling or crazy tight uphill hairpin where car will bog in 2nd.
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5392.50
      08-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #20
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

I usually shift when the computer says to shift (+2 to 4 mph), and I almost always skip gears. I typically go through the following gears: 1, 2, 4, 6.

As far as coasting to a stop in neutral. That actually just wastes gas because the engine needs to burn gasoline to keep rotating. https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...neutral-page-3

If you keep the car in gear and get off the gas, the computer will just shut down fuel delivery to the engine. However, the engine is effectively moving because the wheels are moving, and a sudden blip of the gas will fire it up.
Appreciate 1
Dr._Who124.50
      08-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #21
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

If I wanted a computer to tell me when to shift I woulda just got DCT
Appreciate 3
boss2k1088.50
SakhirM410784.50
      08-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #22
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
I usually shift when the computer says to shift (+2 to 4 mph), and I almost always skip gears. I typically go through the following gears: 1, 2, 4, 6.

As far as coasting to a stop in neutral. That actually just wastes gas because the engine needs to burn gasoline to keep rotating. https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...neutral-page-3

If you keep the car in gear and get off the gas, the computer will just shut down fuel delivery to the engine. However, the engine is effectively moving because the wheels are moving, and a sudden blip of the gas will fire it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
50k miles on mine and just had the clutch replaced under warranty - it had minimal wear, so I'll at least comment on my shift patterns.

Here's how I drive when warming up the car/driving modestly:

1. 1st gear to ~10-15mph, shift to 2nd. 2nd gear can comfortably handle going down to 1200-1500rpms without engine lugging, so it's a great low speed gear.

2. 2nd shift to 3rd around 25-30mph. Again, this may bring it below 2k RPM. That's fine. 3rd gear goes greatfrom about 20-25mph to 40-50mph when the engine is cold.

3. 4th gearfrom 40-50mph on up - you can use 4th gear at highway speeds

4. 5th and 6th gear are overdrive/highway gears - the car has plenty of passing power even in 6th gear, but that's all I use them for is higher speed highway.

Lugging an engine isn't about RPM, it's about what the engine can handle. This engine handles ~1200 rpms just fine in lower gears. Should you be WOT at 1200rpms in 4th gear? No. Can you pull from 1500rpms in 3rd at partial throttle no problem? Yes. Maybe even a bit lower.
Why was the clutch replaced if there was minimal wear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post

Interesting. This may not be an apples to apples comparison but the F30s (ZF8) shift into neutral when in eco mode and cruise control is set. They then shift into gear if they need to pick up speed.