R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Which one?
M3 594 61.43%
M4 373 38.57%
Voters: 967. You may not vote on this poll

03-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #89
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian test driver View Post
I was in Geneva yesterday and I have among other compared the wheel gap and I've noticed that the M3 had a wheel gap of a bit more than 2 fingers while the M4 had 4, which is quite a difference (talking about the rear fenders).

I took some pictures of the M3 wheel gap, for me there is no need for lower aftermarket suspensions.
Very good to know. Thanks. I wonder why the difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #90
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanyam3 View Post
buy the car that fit your personally needs the best, your paying for the car and ultimately have to deal with the car. Never understood why people come on the internet and ask other to help make a decison for them, dumb to me.
Maybe it is dumb to you, but this is what forums are for. I bet a lot of us in real life have very few people that we can talk to all the time about cars we love. You may call it dumb. This is a supportive community.

Don't let us catch you asking questions or seeking others opinion here
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #91
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Very good to know. Thanks. I wonder why the difference?
shipping blocks were probably still in the springs. I have seen that in posts a few times, so that's my guess
      03-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #92
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it is dumb to you, but this is what forums are for. I bet a lot of us in real life have very few people that we can talk to all the time about cars we love. You may call it dumb. This is a supportive community.

I hate when people on this forum call others dumb for a question they posted. Just wrong!! No one gets my obsession with this damn car but you guys. My dealer is even sick of me.
      03-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #93
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:

Ohh I won't trust me on that. Question regarding my choice of car, color, etc hell nah but question on maintenance and DIY hell yeah. Thanks for answering a comment that wasn't directed towards.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #94
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbockrd View Post
I hate when people on this forum call others dumb for a question they posted. Just wrong!! No one gets my obsession with this damn car but you guys. My dealer is even sick of me.
I'm not insulting him at all, pretty sure he's intelligent. His question was dumb to me as it is such a personal preference. I guess some us need help on how to spend money. Hey guys should I get a coupe or sedan lol, umm should I get mineral white or alpine white.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #95
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
shipping blocks were probably still in the springs. I have seen that in posts a few times, so that's my guess
Yeah, I have read that too, but it has never been confirmed that the blocks were still installed. Hopefully the launch cars can help sort this out for us.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more with you, but it's no sweat off my...
I have to be careful how I respond to those comments, since the mods apparently took it upon themselves to omit some of my nouns when responding to those earlier comments today

I hear you about the obsession. My wife and dealer are ready to kill me and it's only March 7th!
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #96
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
buy the car that fit your personally needs the best, your paying for the car and ultimately have to deal with the car. Never understood why people come on the internet and ask other to help make a decison for them, dumb to me.
Quote:
Thanks for answering a comment that wasn't directed towards.
LOL! The irony. The hypocrisy.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #97
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Ohh I won't trust me on that. Question regarding my choice of car, color, etc hell nah but question on maintenance and DIY hell yeah. Thanks for answering a comment that wasn't directed towards.
I can understand your point to a degree. It does baffle me a bit when people ask what color car they should buy or what transmission they should option on their car. Those are truly personal choices that only the individual can make.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #98
Grock
Banned
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: RS5

Quote:
Nope, those cars are driven to and from shows throughout Europe. There is no way shipping blocks are still in, too many different people handle these cars. At least one of those guys/gals would be able to detect something wrong with suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #99
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I'm not insulting him at all, pretty sure he's intelligent. His question was dumb to me as it is such a personal preference. I guess some us need help on how to spend money. Hey guys should I get a coupe or sedan lol, umm should I get mineral white or alpine white.
Some people haven't seen these cars or all of the colours in person. Asking for other peoples opinions and talking about these cars are what these forums are for. If you've got nothing positive or informative to add then why post? Lighten up! We're only talking about cars.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #100
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand, but I have been insecure about getting the Sakhir Orange exterior, and after Sedan Clan and I had a few laughs about color choices, I said " F it!!" I'm paying for it! LOL
      03-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #101
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock View Post
Nope, those cars are driven to and from shows throughout Europe. There is no way shipping blocks are still in, too many different people handle these cars. At least one of those guys/gals would be able to detect something wrong with suspension.
I could imagine that. It's just weird how they can vary by a matter of inches without it being a block or some suspension stabilizer causing it
      03-08-2014, 03:35 AM   #102
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I can understand your point to a degree. It does baffle me a bit when people ask what color car they should buy or what transmission they should option on their car. Those are truly personal choices that only the individual can make.
For me, colour is a very personal thing. I've gone for SO, as I just like red; I would never buy a white or black car or any of the shades of grey in-between, but I equally understand others may like grey.

Now when it comes to DCT or 6MT, that is different. I've never had an M car before and have always had manuals, including in my 330d, and although I had a test drive in a e90 DCT M3 18 months ago, the contents of this forum have convinced me to go with DCT. I think I've made the right choice, so thanks guys.
      03-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #103
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Ultimately these are personal decisions with no wrong answers, but its nice have the pros and cons flushed out as a decision making aide. Even the act of explaining your personal choices and reasons supporting them can help you navigate through the myriad of options available when making what is an expensive and important decision. Lastly, I think many of us like to jump on any opportunity to obsess about our favorite obsession.

Back on point, I'm getting a coupe this time around because my previous two BMW's were sedans and it is time for a change. I'm also tired about being needled about having a 'sport' sedan, as many view "sport sedan" as an oxymoron. A coupe is usually the better looking and sportier looking version of most models and the M3/4 is no exception in my view.

One the other hand, while looking at your car is a joy, the vantage point in driving the M3/4 will be the same and there will only by a minuscule difference in how they drive. Looking at your car might be a joy, but getting in and out of it is something that you will have to do on a frequent basis and with the coupe you have a big heavy door to wield that's doing the work of two. Also I liked being able to open the back door to toss in your briefcase, jacket, laundry or what have you. And God forbid you should have to haul more than one passenger with a coupe.

So that's why I'm getting the M4.
      03-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #104
Ducfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
You know my thoughts.

IMO, the 4 is very attractive, but does not ooze the brutality that the M3 does. It looks more flowing and natural. The 4's rear end is also better resolved, IMO.

I am not the least bit unhappy to order the 4 door. LOVE IT!
Similar to my thoughts. I have seen both in person and the coupe is quite attractive....but compared to other coupes....i.e. a 911....is just an attractive coupe but not remarkable. The sedan, at least for the moment has less equals. And I love what appears to be a return to a harder image of the M3. My first BMW was an E39 M5 and at the time the mere sight of it caused the timid to run for cover. Such a fun car.

I'm the guy that wants audi to build another RS6 or 4 not a 7 or 5

But to each it's own. However as a business person I'm concerned with BMW's intent to version these to every taste....sedan, coupe, grand coupe, SUV, minivan....it is hard for me to see how this doesn't eventually lead to a milk toast image and less overall desirability.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #105
PvsNP
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/2014 M5

I saw m4 in person, its proportions are a bit weird in my opinion. Its too wide and from the side the door looks really long and weird. M3 looks much more aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #106
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

More M4 pics I posted for all undecided people http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=955822
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #107
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Ha, with 3 sons it's a no brainer. 5 seats rule. My advice for anyone with little kids & car seats, avoid back problems, get the F80.

If things were different I would consider a Cayman. Z2 M will be nice for an empty nest...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #108
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

It's just my wife and me. But after driving an E92 M3 for almost 3 years I am looking forward to a sedan again (M5). It's just so convenient to throw stuff in the back seat when running errands with a sedan. Also the F80 looks so damn good. I really think BMW nailed the proportions on the sedan.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #109
PvsNP
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
It's just my wife and me. But after driving an E92 M3 for almost 3 years I am looking forward to a sedan again (M5). It's just so convenient to throw stuff in the back seat when running errands with a sedan. Also the F80 looks so damn good. I really think BMW nailed the proportions on the sedan.
Going from M3 to M5 is like getting married after dating in college. That car completely destroys the road. It's so powerful, luxurious, yet handles like an M3 anywhere except the track.

The fact that it does the same quarter mile (in fact better sometimes) as a Z06 is another thing. It's a monster. Enjoy the car. You won't ever look back to an M3 and that may not be such a good thing because when your lease is up in 3 years, you will probably end up paying 200 bucks more a month to lease another one
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #110
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvsNP View Post
Going from M3 to M5 is like getting married after dating in college. That car completely destroys the road. It's so powerful, luxurious, yet handles like an M3 anywhere except the track.

The fact that it does the same quarter mile (in fact better sometimes) as a Z06 is another thing. It's a monster. Enjoy the car. You won't ever look back to an M3 and that may not be such a good thing because when your lease is up in 3 years, you will probably end up paying 200 bucks more a month to lease another one
Thanks. After the M5 I will probably get an M3.
Appreciate 0