Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-09-2014, 05:39 AM   #89
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Overall great initial feedback considering the dramatic change.

Remember when the E92 was introduced, it was criticized harshly, now it's a masterpiece!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #90
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Agreed apart from the steering- most of the reviews rate the steering very highly and UAE 247 says it's much better than his E9X M3.
Reviewers said steering is nicely weighed, direct and precise. But there are several mentions about numbness and loss of feel. See here
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #91
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Car Magazine: "But first impressions leave me highly impressed but just a little cold."

^^this summarizes how I feel after reading the first batch of reviews. Ultimately I'll have to drive one myself though for a verdict. automotive magazines are so full of it that they really can't be trusted IMO
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #92
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I for one am not worried about the steering feel comments. I have read multiple articles on the Ferrari 458 and F12 saying that the steering is utterly devoid of feel. But that it is sharp, very direct, accurate and easy to understand what the car is doing.

Isn't that what it's all about?

Now granted, my track time rates about a 0.5 / 10 as far as experience. But I have not read a single review that said the steering compromises the car, or makes it difficult to understand what it's doing.

I'm not so impressed by the diesel engine sound comments. I'm also a little scared by the ride comments considering they were in Portugal. Sounds like the active suspension is a must.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #93
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Each person is likely going to find just what they wanted to hear in these articles. I'm no exception. There hasn't been any big surprise(s) here significant enough to move me closer to parting with my current car in exchange for a new M3/4.
Bingo! It's amazing two people read the same reviews, one says, "the reviews are all positive!" another says, "this car blows and the reviews prove it!"

I don't think there are a lot of surprises here though. Interested to see if the new M continues to win every comparison test like the old one did. It seems like other manufacturers are starting to catch up and ever surpass The Ultimate Driving Machine.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #94
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I for one am not worried about the steering feel comments. I have read multiple articles on the Ferrari 458 and F12 saying that the steering is utterly devoid of feel. But that it is sharp, very direct, accurate and easy to understand what the car is doing.

Now granted, my track time rates about a 0.5 / 10 as far as experience. But I have not read a single review that said the steering compromises the car, or makes it difficult to understand what it's doing.

I'm not so impressed by the diesel engine sound comments. I'm also a little scared by the ride comments considering they were in Portugal. Sounds like the active suspension is a must.
Let the sound be, I'll give you a play list that will finish your eardrums, then it won't matter.
Love the nick btw, the best on the whole forum!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #95
m3ct
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive Bro

chris harris (harrismonkey) tweeted at 8:48am - 9 May 14:

Not much I look forward to driving more than a new M3. pic.twitter.com/6X5jyw53tZ ( )

Looks like he can't publish until may 10th
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #96
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Car Magazine: "But first impressions leave me highly impressed but just a little cold."

^^this summarizes how I feel after reading the first batch of reviews. Ultimately I'll have to drive one myself though for a verdict. automotive magazines are so full of it that they really can't be trusted IMO
I feel like I have more questions than answers after reading all the reviews. Hopefully some dealers let me drive the launch cars especially since I already have an order. But even then I don't think I'll be properly able to assess the car until I drive it at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #97
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

This quote hurt the most from Car magazine.

"on one side of the M3/M4 you’ve got the raucous 1-series M, which was a very old school kind of M car in the mould of the Z3M and Z4M; at the other end of the spectrum you’ve got the new twin-turbocharged V8 M5, a very new school kind of M car. The M3/M4 is most definitely a small M5, not a big 1-series M".

People who have owned/driven all three cars the E9x M3, F10 M5 and 1series M will understand why I was hoping for the M4 to be a big 1M, not a small M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #98
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Sounds like the active suspension is a must.
Were any of the test cars equipped with the passive suspension? I don't think they were, but I could be wrong.

If the passive suspension results in a noticeably harsher ride than the E9x M3 exhibits with the passive suspension, I agree that's an additional reason to consider the active suspension with it's available "Comfort" setting. But so far I don't think we know if this is the case or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #99
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

most encouraging thing is the universally positive praise of the new chassis design and set up. I don't think anyone is going to be complaining about power, and the new chassis should prove fun on the street and great on track.
      05-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #100
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Quote:
Sounds like the active suspension is a must.
Were any of the test cars equipped with the passive suspension? I don't think they were, but I could be wrong.

If the passive suspension results in a noticeably harsher ride than the E9x M3 exhibits with the passive suspension, I agree that's an additional reason to consider the active suspension with it's available "Comfort" setting. But so far I don't think we know if this is the case or not.
I based that comment that said even in comfort the ride is still stiff. Considering that during one of the engineer's interviews it was noted that the passive suspension is somewhere between Sport and Sport plus and I'd consider it a must unless you live someplace with great roads.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #101
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
This quote hurt the most from Car magazine.

"on one side of the M3/M4 you’ve got the raucous 1-series M, which was a very old school kind of M car in the mould of the Z3M and Z4M; at the other end of the spectrum you’ve got the new twin-turbocharged V8 M5, a very new school kind of M car. The M3/M4 is most definitely a small M5, not a big 1-series M".

People who have owned/driven all three cars the E9x M3, F10 M5 and 1series M will understand why I was hoping for the M4 to be a big 1M, not a small M5.
I agree with this. After re-reading all reviews last night they have me very concerned indeed. Not enough to cancel my order but close. There is too much criticism in areas I value the most. I still have hopes that I'll be positively surprised when I drive it but I can see a risk that I'll switch out of this car quicker than I first intended. One thing I will not do is to find ways to paper over the criticism or ignore it to validate my purschase decision, done there and never again. Bummer.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #102
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ct
chris harris (harrismonkey) tweeted at 8:48am - 9 May 14:

Not much I look forward to driving more than a new M3. pic.twitter.com/6X5jyw53tZ ( )

Looks like he can't publish until may 10th
He later tweeted he got the date wrong. Will be watching his twitter feed today.

Surprised no review from Evo yet....
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #103
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That's the unfortunately sized thing that us M drivers buy the car to compensate for.
line of the day.

done.

all surrender now.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #104
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:

That's only a part of it. Steering feel and feedback are essential to feel connected to the driving experience. Cars that demostrate these qualities in abundance make you feel like a more important part of the driving process, rather than just playing a very fast video game.

As a former Ferrari driver, I can tell you that Ferrari hasn't had decent steering feel since they abandoned manual steering (last ones were the F348 and F50). Newer ones are fun and fast cars, but badly lacking in this department.

BMW to me hasn't had good feel since the E36 M3 (E46 had hydraulic but was already significantly more numb than its predecessor).

As a Porsche owner, their change to electric in the last generation has been a huge backwards step. The industry as a whole is really in trouble in this area. I'm waiting for someone to make an electric rack as good as the best hydraulic (and many claim it should be possible to surpass that standard), but looks like it hasn't happened yet...

Last edited by grant; 05-09-2014 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #105
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
That's only a part of it. Steering feel and feedback are essential to feel connected to the driving experience. Cars that demostrate these qualities in abundance make you feel like a more important part of the driving process, rather than just playing a very fast video game.

As a former Ferrari driver, I can tell you that Ferrari hasn't had decent steering feel since they abandoned manual steering (last one was the F348). Newer ones are fun and fast cars, but badly lacking in this department.

BMW to me hasn't had good feel since the E36 M3 (E46 had hydraulic but was already significantly more numb than its predecessor).

As a Porsche owner, their change to electric in the last generation has been a huge backwards step. The industry as a whole is really in trouble in this area. I'm waiting for someone to make an electric rack as good as hydraulic (and many claim it should be possible to surpass that standard), but looks like it hasn't happened yet...
We will agree to disagree. We all have our preferences, and I for one find some of the modern electric systems to suit my taste. I do not confuse heft for "feel". And while the feel is different, I have no issues with knowing what the car is doing at all times and being able to control it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #106
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Edmunds first drive of M3 and M4....."Think BMW has slightly lost its way? Think the new Mercedes-Benz C-Class has it rattled? Think again. The M3 is back, this time as a four-door with a twin-turbo six-cylinder, fabulous poise and balance. It's everything a fast, small sport sedan ought to be."

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m3/2015/road-test.html
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #107
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
We will agree to disagree. We all have our preferences, and I for one find some of the modern electric systems to suit my taste. I do not confuse heft for "feel". And while the feel is different, I have no issues with knowing what the car is doing at all times and being able to control it.
No argument here, but you seem to be describing a system that is competent rather than inspiring (which is what I hope for from a sports car).
      05-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #108
m3ct
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive Bro

Quote:
He later tweeted he got the date wrong. Will be watching his twitter feed today.

Surprised no review from Evo yet....
good to know, can't wait to see his review!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #109
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Wondering why Chris Harris and Pistonheads are just driving the cars today.....
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #110
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Reviewers said steering is nicely weighed, direct and precise. But there are several mentions about numbness and loss of feel. See here
The fact that an owner of both cars ( and multiple other M cars) loves the new steering and rates it as much better than the E9x gives me personally much more reassurance than any journalist. I am not concerned about the steering in the F80 at all.

TBH this thread is now becoming a bit frustrating - people are posting up captions from certain reviews that say a negative about the new cars but for every negative posted here from any of the reviews I can find another review that is extremely positive about the negative posted!! I am talking about the steering, response and sound primarily. I'll judge this car myself when I drive it.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold

Last edited by ss134; 05-09-2014 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0