Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

11-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Alex AlpineMSS tune in Brisbane?

Hi there anyone in Brissy have his tune?

I'm about to switch i think and looking for a better drivability in a tune from VF.

And no, i'm not going BM3 etc!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 06:16 AM   #2
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Alex has nice black friday special on at the moment for his tune. Good time to jump on if you're keen. I'll most likely be purchasing a tune tomorrow.
      11-24-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
101Duck
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Can i ask why no bm3? Just curious.

I can custom flash tune without using bm3 as well. Bm3 is very fast. Nice to use. Somewhat decent support. The datalogging is really nice as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101Duck View Post
Can i ask why no bm3? Just curious.

I can custom flash tune without using bm3 as well. Bm3 is very fast. Nice to use. Somewhat decent support. The datalogging is really nice as well.
I just want plug and play, I drive my car every day and want smooth & drivable with some speed. My car will have over 150,000kms on it by the time I sell it so I don't really want to go too far. To be fair I came very close to go with BM3 but I just don't need the features and want to spend another 2k+ on tuning to go the custom route. I tuned pre OBD unlock (about a month prior to them doing it!), it's already cost me some so I'm a little pissy because I find the tune to be a compromise, fast a hell... but not what I set out to get.

I ordered from Alex yesterday arvo, stage 2 (GTS) and a 2+ for a stock car, we'll see how they go.

Where do you tune?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R53 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley74 View Post

I just want plug and play, I drive my car every day and want smooth & drivable with some speed. My car will have over 150,000kms on it by the time I sell it so I don't really want to go too far. To be fair I came very close to go with BM3 but I just don't need the features and want to spend another 2k+ on tuning to go the custom route. I tuned pre OBD unlock (about a month prior to them doing it!), it's already cost me some so I'm a little pissy because I find the tune to be a compromise, fast a hell... but not what I set out to get.

I ordered from Alex yesterday arvo, stage 2 (GTS) and a 2+ for a stock car, we'll see how they go.

Where do you tune?
Be interested to see how you go. I thought BM3 was plug and play too? Read good things about Alex.

When you order from Alex do you get the OBD connecter and the software? I tried to clarify on the website but it was a little unclear.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_dave View Post
Be interested to see how you go. I thought BM3 was plug and play too? Read good things about Alex.

When you order from Alex do you get the OBD connecter and the software? I tried to clarify on the website but it was a little unclear.

Cheers
Yeah, BM3 is plug and play with the OTS tunes and a tuning platform for future if you're going to go that way, if I have grand plans for the future with the car I would have probably gone BM3. But for me after dropping cash on one tune already I was conscious of support, price and Alex's feedback regards drivability is what I want most. I may have went Openflash if it wasn't for the current sale as they talk about drivability and I like some of the tuning ideas they are currently talking about.

Regards the OBD connecter I emailed him and he sends it via fedex, extra 29 USD to ship to Oz, he reckons 3 days or there about so hopefully at my door by next weekend. Seeing feedback from others he also includes a USB with your tunes, software and a tuition video in the package.

I figure if I don't get what I want out of Alex's tunes it's me being too fussy and I'll have to suck it up!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
Yeah, BM3 is plug and play with the OTS tunes and a tuning platform for future if you're going to go that way, if I have grand plans for the future with the car I would have probably gone BM3. But for me after dropping cash on one tune already I was conscious of support, price and Alex's feedback regards drivability is what I want most. I may have went Openflash if it wasn't for the current sale as they talk about drivability and I like some of the tuning ideas they are currently talking about.

Regards the OBD connecter I emailed him and he sends it via fedex, extra 29 USD to ship to Oz, he reckons 3 days or there about so hopefully at my door by next weekend. Seeing feedback from others he also includes a USB with your tunes, software and a tuition video in the package.

I figure if I don't get what I want out of Alex's tunes it's me being too fussy and I'll have to suck it up!
Thanks for the input! Just started looking into it. Alex with the sale atm seems very reasonable. Bm3 is good that you can use your phone. I'll have a bit more of a read. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

BM3 so you can swap maps in a minute! Go E85 one day, swap back, tune your burbles.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 01:12 AM   #9
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Got myself an Alex tune today. Will post initial thoughts once it arrives and I get a chance to load it up.
ruley74167.00
      11-25-2018, 05:25 AM   #10
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosn View Post
Got myself an Alex tune today. Will post initial thoughts once it arrives and I get a chance to load it up.
Did you go the tune + DCT flash/coding?

I am tempted after doing a bit of reading. I am probably after something to 'tune and forget', so BM3 may not be that beneficial for me.

And after reading about BM3, in order to use your phone, I believe you need to buy the wifi obd accessory too.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 07:39 AM   #11
Aapparition90
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 lci m3 mw

Garage List
2014 bmw 328i  [0.00]
2012 bmw 328i  [0.00]
I have had alexs cs tune dct etc for nearly a year now.
0 complaints and i will never go back to stock.
I dd the car and love the cs map , mid range is ballllistic.
* actually i got my dct flashed locally by bmr but its all the same and i highly suggest it.
Appreciate 1
Ghosn463.50
      11-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep

Yeah i got him to do all the usual coding stuff just over 12 months ago, hopefully I'll be remapping by the weekend!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
HiFi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

any of you that have done the DCT tune, did you do GTS Diff and steering as well or just the DCT only?
      11-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #14
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
any of you that have done the DCT tune, did you do GTS Diff and steering as well or just the DCT only?
i did the lot with CS EDC also, steering and suspension were my biggest improvements.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 03:01 AM   #15
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Did you go the tune + DCT flash/coding?

I am tempted after doing a bit of reading. I am probably after something to 'tune and forget', so BM3 may not be that beneficial for me.

And after reading about BM3, in order to use your phone, I believe you need to buy the wifi obd accessory too.
I didn't get the extras, purely because I'm a bit strapped for cash atm, spent a lot of money fixing a property recently and I'm back in save mode. I was planning to purchase Alex's tune a little later but the black friday deal was too good to pass up.

The good thing is you can purchase the extras at any other time. The cable you need is shipped with the tune so you already have the equipment you need if you want to add the extras at a later date.

I will eventually get the extras but just not right at this time.

My overall plan is for Stage 2 (GTS like) + DCT Flash + GTS Settings
      11-26-2018, 03:29 AM   #16
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The cable you need is shipped with the tune so you already have the equipment you need if you want to add the extras at a later date.
FYI, the tune cable/connection is different from the coding cable (ENET) with Alex. I asked those questions being the impatient person I am thinking I could buy the tune and get it loaded on the same day!

Plenty of people about with ENET cables I'd reckon so you'd be able to borrow one when time comes. They're also on ebay for bout 20-30 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 03:50 AM   #17
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
FYI, the tune cable/connection is different from the coding cable (ENET) with Alex. I asked those questions being the impatient person I am thinking I could buy the tune and get it loaded on the same day!

Plenty of people about with ENET cables I'd reckon so you'd be able to borrow one when time comes. They're also on ebay for bout 20-30 bucks.
You're right, sorry I meant "cable(s)". Alex sends both cables with the tune.

His response when I asked him previously,
Quote:
The cables for both motor tune and coding/DCT will be mailed to you so if and when you decide to add it you'll already have the equipment.
      11-26-2018, 04:37 AM   #18
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You're right, sorry I meant "cable(s)". Alex sends both cables with the tune.

His response when I asked him previously,

Cool, that's awesome of him! I guess I didn't ask about the ENET as I already had one, I questioned the use of the ENET for tuning.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #19
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the info, I ended up getting the BM3 with wifi OBD connector. Both AlpineMSS and BM3 sounded great, but I loved the idea of the phone app and also independently changing maps and burbles with the available OTS maps etc. They also include all the stock maps and the DCT GTS flash.

They have a Black Friday 15% off coupon too.

See how we go! Cheers
Appreciate 1
ruley74167.00
      11-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #20
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep

Got a message from Alex overnight, in the post today.
Appreciate 1
Ghosn463.50
      12-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #21
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I have my software and hardware ready, will attempt to install today.

I'll post some feedback as soon as I get a chance to go for a drive.

I went with stage 2, no options.

I will be adding the DCT flash and other coding in the not too distant future fyi.
ruley74167.00
      12-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #22
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I have my software and hardware ready, will attempt to install today.

I'll post some feedback as soon as I get a chance to go for a drive.

I went with stage 2, no options.

I will be adding the DCT flash and other coding in the not too distant future fyi.
My hardware is probably sitting in the mailbox but I'm in Noosa for a few days!
Appreciate 0