proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #2553
Landjet
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

PTF BM3 Support is AWESOME

Long time lurker here...

I have a 2018 F80 running BM3. I tired to flash back to stock trans map before taking it in for service at the dealer. Unfortunately, the internet connection was inconsistent (I was connected to wrong AP at work) and transmission flash failed. As a result, something got really hosed and the car wouldn't select a gear and was throwing every imaginable code. The guys at PTF responded quickly to my trouble ticket and connected via remote session to get me back up and running. I'm really impressed with the level of service these guys provided. You've got a loyal customer for life here! Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #2554
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F80 M3 ZCP

ZCP vs Bootmod3 CS and other questions

Hoping someone can provide me some insight. In advance, I have never done any tuning to any car so this is all foreign to me...even after spending the last several days reading through most of these 117 pages I'm still trying to understand things.

1. It is my understanding that as part of the initial setup, my stock settings are saved before doing my first flash. Assuming I do the CS flash and then down the road or before a dealer service I want to flash back to stock, is it my actual stock settings that I am flashed back to or just a generic stock flash provided by BootMod3? Hopefully I am making sense with this question.

2. I have a 2018 ZCP. For those that have a ZCP and have flashed to the basic CS (the new one that is closest to OEM; not the CS+ as renamed), do you notice a big difference compared to how the car came stock as a ZCP? Are differences noticeable around town driving? How about on freeways? What do you notice most? Will the difference be noticeable in Eff, Sport, and Sport +, or just one/two of those settings? Yes, I have seen lots of dynos (which I'm learning how to read), and on paper I see the differences, but I want to hear from others first hand experiences what it really feels like to them personally.

3. I have one of if not the lastest I-Step version on my car. The way the car drives now all stock, I think is great. I do not experience any of the jerkiness some early owners mention in the first couple of gears. The traction light does not come on that often even with my winter tires on. If I flash to GTS DCT, will I notice any improvement over my stock OEM ZCP DCT? Do I lose my current I-Step software etc?

It seems that people are very pleased with the results Bootmod3 provides to the car, and the customer service seems to be some of the very best. All this has me very curious and tempted to experience this for myself.

On another note, I'd love to meet up with someone local (tri state area) that has tuned their car with BootMod3, preferably with the latest CS map.

Thanks in advance!
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #2555
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageprone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad4m View Post
Whats the real benefit to reflashing your car back to stock when going in for service at the dealer? I thought if anything major happens anyway they will find out your car is tuned. Im lazy and rather not reflash if there is no real benefit other than trying to hide it from plain sight. Additional Info: I do have the bmw's maintenance plan till 75k miles. Can they deny me this coverage?
I don't know for sure, but I think they'll have to actually dig pretty deep to find that you're tuned if you flash back to stock. But I'm guessing they'll only do that if it's a pretty big repair, like an engine replacement, not a seat emblem replacement.

I don't believe the maintenance plan is affected as you paid for that, whereas the warranty is on their dime.

(again all speculation)
1. Not hard for BMWNA at all. Just need to plug the car in to BMW's network and FASTA will take care of the rest.

Read post #6 here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...33&postcount=6

Historical FASTA reference from Shiv@Vishnu (now OpenFlash): https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651281

2. Extended warranty programs also have rules and restrictions. Almost 100% of them will not cover any failure caused by aftermarket modifications that exceeds factory specifications.

Now there's been plenty of BMW owners/leasees who've had warranty work done even after having extensive engine modifications (returned back to stock), so there isn't much to worry about for the most part... people just need to know exactly what they're doing, and understand that if you flash a car with factory warranty = pray to play!

Flashing the car back to stock with BM3 takes no more than 5 minutes. If flashing back to stock means lesser chance of getting flagged during a dealer visit, then yes, it is absolutely worthwhile to do so!
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #2556
Petermanolis
Rep
Drives: M4

Guys new here. If i go for the stage 2 map , whats the power or what kinda map we are driving arounf if its in comfort or sport or sport plus?
I take it in comfort mode its stage2 weaker than the stage2 of sport plus?

Also is it available to have one or two different maps same time and choose each one after clicking a button? Something like a boost controller, or an aftermarket ecu feature. Sorry for the questions im mostly into japanese models hence my ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:05 AM   #2557
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Can someone tell me how much more aggressive burble is on the stage 2 91 agg map vs. regular map?
      01-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #2558
Temper Tantrum
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
1. Not hard for BMWNA at all. Just need to plug the car in to BMW's network and FASTA will take care of the rest.

Read post #6 here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...33&postcount=6

Historical FASTA reference from Shiv@Vishnu (now OpenFlash): https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651281

2. Extended warranty programs also have rules and restrictions. Almost 100% of them will not cover any failure caused by aftermarket modifications that exceeds factory specifications.

Now there's been plenty of BMW owners/leasees who've had warranty work done even after having extensive engine modifications (returned back to stock), so there isn't much to worry about for the most part... people just need to know exactly what they're doing, and understand that if you flash a car with factory warranty = pray to play!

Flashing the car back to stock with BM3 takes no more than 5 minutes. If flashing back to stock means lesser chance of getting flagged during a dealer visit, then yes, it is absolutely worthwhile to do so!

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger with BM3. Only going to be running my stock map with Cold Start deleted. I still pay monthly for the extended warranty. From what I've read my scenario *should* be more safe warranty wise since all pressures and history etc will show up as stock if they decided to check. As long as I've locked the DME again that is..

My theory could completely out though and I'm wasting my time still paying for the warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #2559
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temper Tantrum View Post
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger with BM3. Only going to be running my stock map with Cold Start deleted. I still pay monthly for the extended warranty. From what I've read my scenario *should* be more safe warranty wise since all pressures and history etc will show up as stock if they decided to check. As long as I've locked the DME again that is..

My theory could completely out though and I'm wasting my time still paying for the warranty
Your tuning situation is a bit of a gray area, because BMW technically DOES NOT care what power level you flashed the car with. To them, flash tuning is DME tampering, and that's enough for them to say NO on a future powertrain warranty claim.

Then again, every situation is going to be handled differently, so there is not a single answer out there for everyone. What's more important is understanding what you're getting yourself into. It's very unlikely that the cold start delete will cause any issues, but if something unexpected and uncontrollable (e.g. SCH) were to happen to the engine, just know that BMW would have the upper hand in denying your warranty even after you flash back to stock. It doesn't mean that they will, it just means that they reserve the right to deny a claim based on DME tampering / data manipulation.

And before someone quotes me with the highly misunderstood Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, this bullcrap that the automotive aftermarket industry is standing on won't hold any ground when it comes to actual litigation. BMW has enough lawyers to shut things down quick.
Appreciate 3
      01-13-2019, 04:24 AM   #2560
dlk001
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

I flashed back to stock to have my F83 recently serviced under the maintenance plan.

The technicians read fault codes on my roof top mechanism but never picked up anything regarding BM3. Or maybe if they did, they just ignored it?
2009, E92 335i
2005, E90 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #2561
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

UPDATE:

Apps for iOS and Android are available on their respective App Stores as well as an updated OBD Agent (0.10.046) have been released.

Updates include:
- New dashboard layout (more updates coming here soon..)
- Additional OTS map updates for S55 with OPF/PPF filters
- TCU stock reflash updates for M2C and other S55s
- Various N55 EWG/PWG updates based on end-user feedback
- Online recode button is going away soon. Version 46 of the OBD Agent is now making this seldom used option unnecessary.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
      01-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #2562
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petermanolis View Post
Guys new here. If i go for the stage 2 map , whats the power or what kinda map we are driving arounf if its in comfort or sport or sport plus?
I take it in comfort mode its stage2 weaker than the stage2 of sport plus?

Also is it available to have one or two different maps same time and choose each one after clicking a button? Something like a boost controller, or an aftermarket ecu feature. Sorry for the questions im mostly into japanese models hence my ignorance.
You'll have the same max power and torque in all modes, this is the same with the stock car. Sport+ might make a little more power than the other modes (stock and also after you tune the car) because it keeps the fans running almost always so intake air temperatures are lower in Sport+ mode.

As of now it's only possible to have one tune map loaded to the car, changing maps involves connecting a laptop or using the WIFI OBD Agent + smart phone app and takes around 30 seconds after you're connected to the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:45 AM   #2563
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

In!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #2564
AMOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90

Hi, would like to ask for some feedback from guys running BM3 on 6MT with rev-match in sport plus enabled. Any issues? Does it work like stock in sport/efficient? Also on some other tuning platforms there are issues with burbles in Sport+ getting more subtle after the tune, which happens on ZCP cars, what about BM3?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #2565
Iceman1183
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOR View Post
Hi, would like to ask for some feedback from guys running BM3 on 6MT with rev-match in sport plus enabled. Any issues? Does it work like stock in sport/efficient? Also on some other tuning platforms there are issues with burbles in Sport+ getting more subtle after the tune, which happens on ZCP cars, what about BM3?
As far as the burbles are concerned, you will have to experience that for yourself, it can be subjective. I don’t feel like my burbles have decreased after flashing BM3, if anything they are more noticeable.

I can confidently say enabling rev match in all modes has not caused any issues with driving. Rev match works flawlessly in Sport+ just like it works in Sport and Comfort.

I have a 2017 ZCP with 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #2566
AMOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman1183 View Post
As far as the burbles are concerned, you will have to experience that for yourself, it can be subjective. I don’t feel like my burbles have decreased after flashing BM3, if anything they are more noticeable.

I can confidently say enabling rev match in all modes has not caused any issues with driving. Rev match works flawlessly in Sport+ just like it works in Sport and Comfort.

I have a 2017 ZCP with 6MT.
Thanks! Sounds promising. Are you running stage 1 or 2? How many tune files are included with purchase?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #2567
Iceman1183
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOR View Post
Thanks! Sounds promising. Are you running stage 1 or 2? How many tune files are included with purchase?
I'm running the GTS map.

The OEM maps (CS, GTS, CS+) are included along with one OTS map of your choosing. I chose Stage 1 as I'm not running downpipes/exhaust/charge pipes.

I wanted a mild stockish tune with a little extra oomph, so I'm running GTS per BM3's recommendation. I'll likely switch to CS+ when the weather warms up. The car is plenty fast for me with the GTS map though.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #2568
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
UPDATE:

Apps for iOS and Android are available on their respective App Stores as well as an updated OBD Agent (0.10.046) have been released.

Updates include:
- New dashboard layout (more updates coming here soon..)
- Additional OTS map updates for S55 with OPF/PPF filters
- TCU stock reflash updates for M2C and other S55s
- Various N55 EWG/PWG updates based on end-user feedback
- Online recode button is going away soon. Version 46 of the OBD Agent is now making this seldom used option unnecessary.
New dashboard gauges look awesome 👏
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #2569
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

I'm thinking about getting BootMod3 so I can run the CS tune to get a little bit more power. Quick question: if you have a non-ZCP car, will the CS tune make the same burbles as the CS car does? I don't want to get something that doesn't sound authentic, and I like how the CS has a refined burble. Also, wasn't this CS tune available before the CS came out? Is there any way to validate that it's the right tune...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #2570
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdandpwr View Post
I'm thinking about getting BootMod3 so I can run the CS tune to get a little bit more power. Quick question: if you have a non-ZCP car, will the CS tune make the same burbles as the CS car does? I don't want to get something that doesn't sound authentic, and I like how the CS has a refined burble. Also, wasn't this CS tune available before the CS came out? Is there any way to validate that it's the right tune...
The CS has a different exhaust, so no. I have the OTS burble set on my non ZCP and it sounds fantastic.
      01-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #2571
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
For whatever reason the burbles don't sound OEM regardless of what exhaust you run.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3154.50
      01-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #2572
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
The CS has a different exhaust, so no. I have the OTS burble set on my non ZCP and it sounds fantastic.
Yea, I know that

Just wanted to be sure that the CS tune on BM3 is a mirror to the tune on actual CS cars...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #2573
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
The comp package comes with the same exhaust as the actual "CS" version of the m4 right?

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #2574
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The comp package comes with the same exhaust as the actual "CS" version of the m4 right?
That's incorrect. My understanding is the CS has a different exhaust than the comp pack.
Appreciate 0