GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-29-2018, 12:48 AM   #1
ArieArie
Old man
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3

[SOLVED] Car sometime starts at factory default (no driver preferences)

A four part mystery.

Part 1:
Every so often, for no apparent reason, I would start the car and all the setting that I customized will be gone. this includes that radio buttons, M1 and M2, HUD options etc. etc..
Sometime I could turn off the car and once I turned it on again it would come back with all my drive preferences.

Part 2:
A few months ago I also lost one of my key fobs and I was about to get a new one...

Part 3:
a couple of days ago I was cleaning my gym bag and I found the missing key. I was very happy to find it because it meant that I didn't have to buy a new fob.

Part 4:
Today I was going out and decided that I would start using the key that I previously lost because it was looking new and shiny. When I started the car I noticed that the car has started in default mode, i.e. all drive preferences were gone. That was because that key was new and was never used. all the customization were down with the other key. I went back to the house, switched keys and all is well.

Solved:
Then it dawned on me. Every time I go to the gym I'd put my wallet and key in my gym bag. The bag had (under a seam) my lost key AND my everyday key. So when I approached the car, unlock the door and start it, I would have two key in my bag. And every so often the car would detect the lost key fob and would start with factory default.
      01-01-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
BTW, the "drive preferences" are not stored in the key, they ar stored in one of the three "driver profiles" available in iDrive. They key simply remembers which profile was last used with that key.

So it would be easy for you to get both of your keys to call up your personal driver profile while unlocking with either. To do so, simply unlock the car with you spare key, turn on the ignition, select your driver profile in iDrive, swithch off the ignition, lock the car, and you're done. Next time you unlock the car with your spare key, it will call up your preferred settings .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0