GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #45
allinon72
Lieutenant
allinon72's Avatar
United_States
489
Rep
536
Posts

Drives: 15' M3, 17' X1
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Overlake View Post
M5 is a slab sided bloated pig
Not true, go drive one.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #46
Indiana Jones
Private
14
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: Panigale 1299
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Overlake View Post
M5 is a slab sided bloated pig
That's my problem...M5 can move in a straight line, but it's pretty far removed from anything related to a sports car. My brother in law, who knows nothing about cars, and I mean nothing, said the car never felt quite right...and that it was too much motor etc, for that size car. Personally, I really enjoyed the M5, but the M3 and M5 are completely different animals. He had the 2014 Comp, and it handled and stopped very well, but you could feel it's size a little, which is to be expected. It's a lot more car than the M3 in my opinion, but I don't really need the extra horsepower, luxury features, and such...although I know my wife would prefer it coming from her Lexus!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #47
Ben Overlake
Banned
133
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
That's my problem...M5 can move in a straight line, but it's pretty far removed from anything related to a sports car. My brother in law, who knows nothing about cars, and I mean nothing, said the car never felt quite right...and that it was too much motor etc, for that size car. Personally, I really enjoyed the M5, but the M3 and M5 are completely different animals. He had the 2014 Comp, and it handled and stopped very well, but you could feel it's size a little, which is to be expected. It's a lot more car than the M3 in my opinion, but I don't really need the extra horsepower, luxury features, and such...although I know my wife would prefer it coming from her Lexus!
if she has an ls 500 f sport, id gladly take it over der neue m5
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 10:45 PM   #48
Damage Inc
Major
Damage Inc's Avatar
318
Rep
1,469
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
Scratching my head here too...

Purchase Price 45-50k
Selling Price 30-35k
Loss 10-20k

10k/36mo = 277mo
15k/36mo = 416mo
20/36mo = 555mo

All the above are better than a lease, minus the risk of a loss (being in an accident = depreciation on resale which you avoid from lease) and the maintenance assuming there is some, but CPO can be had around 50k or a tad more...no maintenance.
I use this logic to have bought many M cars and 911's over the years. Dont buy these cars new. But 1.5 to 2 years old, 20k miles. My target has always been about $500 a month for an M3, M5, and M6. I've done it many times.

A few times I've been close to $0. Example: I bought an 06 M5 for $31k, sold it 18 months later for $35k. 01 M3 for $34k, sold it for $32k 18 months later.

People always think I'm an idiot and losing a ton of $$$ swapping cars out. Little do they know I'm spending less on M cars than a Camry lease ha ha

Always make sure you have some type of warranty
Color combo is key to resale.

OP: your logic is sound. But dont just go for the cheapest one possible, these cars will have good resale. Spend a few more $$$, get something nice, and you will get more when you sell it too.
__________________
Current: BMW 320i M-Sport / Audi R8 V8 Kline

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2
Appreciate 2
dkhm31578.00
amw896341.00

      12-05-2017, 12:47 AM   #49
dkhm3
Brigadier General
dkhm3's Avatar
United_States
1578
Rep
3,096
Posts

Drives: 2015 MW M3 2016 LBB X5M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
I use this logic to have bought many M cars and 911's over the years. Dont buy these cars new. But 1.5 to 2 years old, 20k miles. My target has always been about $500 a month for an M3, M5, and M6. I've done it many times.

A few times I've been close to $0. Example: I bought an 06 M5 for $31k, sold it 18 months later for $35k. 01 M3 for $34k, sold it for $32k 18 months later.

People always think I'm an idiot and losing a ton of $$$ swapping cars out. Little do they know I'm spending less on M cars than a Camry lease ha ha

Always make sure you have some type of warranty
Color combo is key to resale.

OP: your logic is sound. But dont just go for the cheapest one possible, these cars will have good resale. Spend a few more $$$, get something nice, and you will get more when you sell it too.
Iíve bought a lot of used cars, but you did real good.
__________________
Currently:
2015 M3 2016 X5M

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2007 335i 2008 X5 4.8i 2008 C63 2011 X5 3.5i M SPORT
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #50
Indiana Jones
Private
14
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: Panigale 1299
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (0)

I noticed last night, in a tired stupor, that the M3's are asking/fetching bit more than an M4's on resale. Any clue as to why this might be other than some of the more obvious reasons?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #51
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
6957
Rep
6,393
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
I noticed last night, in a tired stupor, that the M3's are asking/fetching bit more than an M4's on resale. Any clue as to why this might be other than some of the more obvious reasons?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #52
erictrainer
Private
71
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 16 F80 6MT MG on SO
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Miami

iTrader: (1)

Simple economic law of supply and demand... Many more m4s available for sale than there are m3s.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:42 PM   #53
marvinp
Lieutenant
United_States
137
Rep
506
Posts

Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictrainer View Post
Simple economic law of supply and demand... Many more m4s available for sale than there are m3s.
But I'd imagine that the used M3 and M4 demand would be proportional to the new M3 and M4 demand?
__________________
2018 F80 M3, Silverstone Metallic II, ZCP w/ black 666M.
Ordered: 7/9/2017 | Pickup 9/9/2017

Montego blue BMW 135i with black interior, Sports Package, BMW Assist, and Comfort Access.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #54
Indiana Jones
Private
14
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: Panigale 1299
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (0)

I figured supply and demand as the main reason, wondering if there was anything else that could cause it. So odd because the e90/2 body is opposite as the coupes fetch more! In the words of GrussGott...Bubble Butt!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:52 PM   #55
RobbyMack
Captain
RobbyMack's Avatar
645
Rep
658
Posts

Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The Left Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
I figured supply and demand as the main reason, wondering if there was anything else that could cause it. So odd because the e90/2 body is opposite as the coupes fetch more! In the words of GrussGott...Bubble Butt!
There is a slight performance difference between the e9x generations coupe and sedan. Also the coupe had CF roof where as the sedan did not. There is essentially no difference (other than # of doors) in the F8x generation.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST