BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2018 M550i, 2022 M4

I changed the oil the past Saturday. It was very simple to do. I used about 1.6L until it was completely full.

Can not really say if this oil change is mandatory, but if people are planning to keep the car out of the warranty period, than I would definitely suggest doing it.

The oil that was removed, was much darker in color than I would have expected it to be (considering the car only has 1400 miles).

Just ordered 0w40 for the engine. Decided to change that as well, because the dealership used 5w30 (which is not even recommended in the manual for my car). Says 0w40 or 0w30. BMW said they do not have any other oil, and said they always use 5w30 on m3's and m4's. I am still baffled by this. BMW writes in their books to use 0w40 and than does not give that oil to the dealerships.
      12-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #24
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

My Suggestion to everyone....CHANGE THE TRANSMISSION OIL!!! It is a very simple DIY. I changed the Oil on Saturday and when I took out the old oil, I poured it in to a big gallon bottle. I could not see any metal pieces in the oil. Today I poured all of the oil out of the bottle and there was very visible metal pieces left at the bottom of the bottle.

I have been driving my car 3k rpm and below. Very smooth shifts. I am babying the car like crazy, while in the brake in period. I am planning to do that until 3k miles. So I was very surprised to see any metal in the transmission oil, due to the fact that I have not been pushing the car and have always been shifting very smoothly. Haven t missed a gear once or grinded any gears.

Just shows that metal will enter the oil, during the break in period. Best thing to do is change the oil, cant go wrong. Unless the car is leased.
      12-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #25
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Dont mean to threadjack, but does the dealer need to "test drive" the car at the 1200 mile service? Just trying to make sure for when i take it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #26
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Dont mean to threadjack, but does the dealer need to "test drive" the car at the 1200 mile service? Just trying to make sure for when i take it in.
NO! There is absolutely no reason they should be test driving your car. All they are doing is changing the engine and diff oil. If they tell you otherwise, something is wrong.
      12-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #27
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginsoft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
I have a 2016 f80 Manual transmission and in the warranty booklet in the glovebox, it says for the transmission fluid to be changed on first service (break-in).
My dealer did it, no questions asked. The BMW engineers said to do it, better safe than sorry.
Would love to see your copy of the warranty/service booklet because I'm pretty sure MY 2016 M3/M4 for both manual transmission and DCT oil are considered lifetime fluids and do not need changing. So unless you and I have different booklets, I doubt this is true.

However, I have heard that some dealerships have agreed to do the transmission oil change for many people. I would personally still change it. But not required per BMW.
Wrong, I got 2016 and the booklet says manual tranny needs fluid change at1200 miles and then every 30k. DCT doesn't and considered long term fluid. Not lifetime though.
      12-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #28
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Wrong, I got 2016 and the booklet says manual tranny needs fluid change at1200 miles and then every 30k. DCT doesn't and considered long term fluid. Not lifetime though.
He's not wrong. It has been debated between owners and dealers(check the forum). The dealers will not change the trans fluid as per their computers the 1200 mile service does not require it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #29
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

good info here, thanks Ecoce1.

i'll probably do my box own fluid once all the snow and salt hit the streets, and get the 0w-40 kit from ecs.

I had my 1200 service done today.

i hate bringing my cars in - it always feels like a blind date when going to the dealer; however i think i've found a very very good service center in NNJ, thanks to other forum member recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #30
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
good info here, thanks Ecoce1.

i'll probably do my box own fluid once all the snow and salt hit the streets, and get the 0w-40 kit from ecs.

I had my 1200 service done today.

i hate bringing my cars in - it always feels like a blind date when going to the dealer; however i think i've found a very very good service center in NNJ, thanks to other forum member recommendations.

If you don't mind sharing, which dealer was it and anyone specific you used over there?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #31
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepotholez View Post
If you don't mind sharing, which dealer was it and anyone specific you used over there?
sure, PM me
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #32
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
sure, PM me
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #33
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepotholez
Quote:
He's not wrong. It has been debated between owners and dealers(check the forum). The dealers will not change the trans fluid as per their computers the 1200 mile service does not require it.
No problem. I was referring to the manual. I guess the reality is different.
      12-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #34
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
No problem. I was referring to the manual. I guess the reality is different.
Ya, unfortunately it is. Sucks we have to come out of pocket for this.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 03:37 AM   #35
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Just took my car in for 1200 mile... They changed oil / filter and gasket... Also changed the tranny fluid... I have 6mt and no I didn't have to ask...

I was under the impression that they don't have our cars "detuned" until 1200miles, but she is noticeably more responsive, a little quicker, and seemed a smidge louder...

They swung me up through the service bays and chatted a bit with the "M-crew" and they mentioned that they also did a software update...

Only thing that came back as no faults found was my brakes squeaking only when I brake in reverse... Told me to drive it a little longer and to come on back if the problem still persists...

Other than that, my SA is amazing and he's been with me and countless friends since 2006...

PS - my car now says oil change next due in 7000 miles...
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #36
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I did my service in mid November and there was no software update. The car is DCT though.
      12-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #37
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Just took my car in for 1200 mile... They changed oil / filter and gasket... Also changed the tranny fluid... I have 6mt and no I didn't have to ask...

I was under the impression that they don't have our cars "detuned" until 1200miles, but she is noticeably more responsive, a little quicker, and seemed a smidge louder...

They swung me up through the service bays and chatted a bit with the "M-crew" and they mentioned that they also did a software update...

Only thing that came back as no faults found was my brakes squeaking only when I brake in reverse... Told me to drive it a little longer and to come on back if the problem still persists...

Other than that, my SA is amazing and he's been with me and countless friends since 2006...

PS - my car now says oil change next due in 7000 miles...

I talked to the tech that worked on my car, and he also said that they do a software update. He was not too sure if that opens up more power, but he did confirm that every m gets a software update during the 1200 mile break in period.

Quote:
I did my service in mid November and there was no software update. The car is DCT though.
I thought the software update is more necessary on a DCT. I thought that is when they unlock the launch control option. I might be wrong about that, because i do not have DCT.
      12-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #38
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoce1 View Post
NO! There is absolutely no reason they should be test driving your car. All they are doing is changing the engine and diff oil. If they tell you otherwise, something is wrong.
I asked My SA today while sheduling the 1200 mile service and she said they DO test drive it to ensure everything is fine. Im so confused now.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #39
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I asked My SA today while sheduling the 1200 mile service and she said they DO test drive it to ensure everything is fine. Im so confused now.
No reason to drive the car, after an oil change. Are they testing to see if they changed the oil correctly? My dad works for a shop for over 40 years. He has never test driven a car after making an oil change. There is absolutely no reason for that.

I would understand if they said that, and they changed your brakes or something. But if they are just changing fluids, I do not see a reason to drive the car. My dealer did not even suggest that it would need a test drive.

You can always just say that you will come along for the test drive, and this way you can make sure that they are not pushing your car. But I am a bit confused by why they would need to test drive the car. Let us know, maybe they have a good technical reason, that I do not know about.
      12-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #40
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoce1 View Post
No reason to drive the car, after an oil change. Are they testing to see if they changed the oil correctly? My dad works for a shop for over 40 years. He has never test driven a car after making an oil change. There is absolutely no reason for that.

I would understand if they said that, and they changed your brakes or something. But if they are just changing fluids, I do not see a reason to drive the car. My dealer did not even suggest that it would need a test drive.

You can always just say that you will come along for the test drive, and this way you can make sure that they are not pushing your car. But I am a bit confused by why they would need to test drive the car. Let us know, maybe they have a good technical reason, that I do not know about.
Thank you. I didnt report any issues with the car so im not certain why they need to test drive it just for an oil change and differential fluid change. Im very particular about anyone driving my car (unless its necessary) so I hope they let me tag along for the test drive.

thanks again
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #41
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I didnt report any issues with the car so im not certain why they need to test drive it just for an oil change and differential fluid change. Im very particular about anyone driving my car (unless its necessary) so I hope they let me tag along for the test drive.

thanks again
Yea I definitely understand. When I scheduled my 1200 mile service, I told my SA to make sure that nobody test drives my car and that they do not wash it. My SA did say that they do not test drive the car after an oil change.

As long as they let you come along for the test drive, than it really is not a big deal.