Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

11-14-2018, 05:20 AM   #23
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Any up close pics of the upper splitter weave? I wondering of the weave direction will match my already lower splitter
How was fitment?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #24
Rppngears
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
Any up close pics of the upper splitter weave? I wondering of the weave direction will match my already lower splitter
How was fitment?
Fitment was great, don’t have any close ups but I’ll try to remember to grab one
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #25
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Looks like they announced a pretty decent BF sale today
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #26
WIKDF80
Totaled
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
Looks like they announced a pretty decent BF sale today
Yeah I saw it on Instagram. You can save a good percentage if you order over a certain amount. $0 - $1000 is only 10% though. Not great but better than nothin!
      01-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #27
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
I know it's only been a couple of months but how are the parts holding up?

Or anybody who purchased RW Carbon parts (especially ones that may take road debris beating like the diffuser) have any long term usage updates?

I'm interested in a diffuser from them but am worried how the clear coat will hold up over time, especially with no warranty and their suggestion it be waxed regularly. It'd have to be uninstalled every month to do that
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:10 PM   #28
WIKDF80
Totaled
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post

Or anybody who purchased RW Carbon parts (especially ones that may take road debris beating like the diffuser) have any long term usage updates?

I'm interested in a diffuser from them but am worried how the clear coat will hold up over time, especially with no warranty and their suggestion it be waxed regularly. It'd have to be uninstalled every month to do that
When it's light out tomorrow I will take some detailed pics of both the rear diffuser and rear spoiler. They've been on the car for a few months now.
      01-11-2019, 02:34 AM   #29
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Well, went ahead and picked up their M Perf style diffuser and installed it yesterday.

Piece looked good out of the box, QC-wise. Fitment-wise, the left side isn't as snug as the right and sticks out about 1/8 inch more (right is rock solid, left gives a bit when I push).

I'm a bit concerned that the two center bolts, because the diffuser tabs are more distant than the tabs on the car, the bolts don't reach as far as the heat shield. Just the plastic tabs. Considering buying longer bolts. Has anyone had an issue with their diffuser rattling or coming loose?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:19 AM   #30
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:

I have the 3d style rear diffuser from them and the rear seat backs. The rear diffuser is perfect a year later, and fitment was perfect as far as I can tell. The rear seat backs make annoying squeak noises when moving in the seat, but it's just held on by tape, so I'm convinced any of the seat backs would have done the same. Doesn't really bother me though once settled in, but I probably wouldn't buy them again.

Yes, it's terrible ethics to copy another company's design for basically anything RW sells. But the prices are so outrageous for the majority of these parts that rw carbon is really the only option I'd ever consider. I'm not a cheap a**, but sometimes these companies don't realize that volume is just as profitable as high margins. There's a great reason rw carbon exists. Being in the wholesale food industry, the "eat with a spoon, not with a shovel" philosophy resonates with me, and so that's why I chose RW. Competition is always good for business, and the consumer wins. Can always choose the other vendors whether on principle or better quality product.

Last edited by ntg44; 01-11-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
WIKDF80292.50
      01-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #31
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I could care less about them being a "knock off" design too. It's more a question of quality and durability. If these hold up, look pretty much the same, and go for half the price? Absolutely. I'm buying a cosmetic car accessory. Not an actual performance part.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled my RW CF diffuser just to make sure it's as snug as can be. Definitely is. I'll probably still pick up a couple of longer hex bolts at Home Depot if I can find the right size, but for now seems secure.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #32
SeatownF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90, 958

I have the vorsteiner style rear diffuser from RW on for about 2 years now and its hold up pretty well. Fitment was like a 7/10 and quality was 8/10 but you have to get up close to notice it.

I had the authentic Vorsteiner front lip and I smashed that shit up within a year as its my DD. $2000 gone. Would definitely go with a knock off front lip next time.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #33
WIKDF80
Totaled
Rep

Quote:
I could care less about them being a "knock off" design too. It's more a question of quality and durability. If these hold up, look pretty much the same, and go for half the price? Absolutely. I'm buying a cosmetic car accessory. Not an actual performance part.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled my RW CF diffuser just to make sure it's as snug as can be. Definitely is. I'll probably still pick up a couple of longer hex bolts at Home Depot if I can find the right size, but for now seems secure.
Exactly right.

All my RW is holding up just fine. Zero issues with clear coat. Just as glossy as day 1. All these other companies try to make it sound as though you're buying a structural performance part that somehow needed a year of R&D. Give me a break.

Simple1133.50
      01-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #34
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

My RW diffuser. Fitment falls short for use on a $80k car. Any of you die hard RW guys want to buy it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #35
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLedouche View Post
My RW diffuser. Fitment falls short for use on a $80k car. Any of you die hard RW guys want to buy it?
Looks perfect to me lol. Some replicas have what I call droopy sides where it's not level with the bumper across the top ridge but this one looks spot on.

Btw loved your show guy 😂
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #36
WIKDF80
Totaled
Rep

Quote:
Looks perfect to me lol. Some replicas have what I call droopy sides where it's not level with the bumper across the top ridge but this one looks spot on.

Btw loved your show guy 😂
Me too! What ever happened to that show?
      01-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #37
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I'll tell you what, basic diffuser or not...now that it's on there I don't see how an F82 can look "normal" without one. I'm definitely glad I finally picked one up, can't believe I waited this long. It was such an integral part of the rear styling and character of my 335is, there's no way I'm ever taking it off my M4.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #38
WIKDF80
Totaled
Rep

Quote:
I'll tell you what, basic diffuser or not...now that it's on there I don't see how an F82 can look "normal" without one. I'm definitely glad I finally picked one up, can't believe I waited this long. It was such an integral part of the rear styling and character of my 335is, there's no way I'm ever taking it off my M4.
It's kind of dopey to think these cars come without rear splitters and front lips honestly. They just really complete the look of the car.
      09-26-2020, 01:48 AM   #39
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFort One View Post
Clear coat on these carbon fiber products are one in the same. I had an authentic vorsteiner diffuser that I bought when it was first released and over time began to haze as well. This was after having major fitment issues, which RW carbon hasn't had much of in my experience.

At the end of the day, this is inevitable with aftermarket carbon fiber products.
Can't you just PPF & coat to prevent any potential clear coat issues???
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #40
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFort One View Post
Clear coat on these carbon fiber products are one in the same. I had an authentic vorsteiner diffuser that I bought when it was first released and over time began to haze as well. This was after having major fitment issues, which RW carbon hasn't had much of in my experience.

At the end of the day, this is inevitable with aftermarket carbon fiber products.
Can't you just PPF & coat to prevent any potential clear coat issues???
Yes. I purchased RW Carbon front lip, splitters, and sideskirts and I had all pieces covered in PPF. In my opinion, this is a must regardless of brand to ensure protection and longevity from weather elements and harsh sun.

I attached some pictures when I got the pieces installed. Only had them on for two months, but zero issues. The fitment was perfect and quality was top notch. Zero complaints...
Attached Images

Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:21 PM   #41
Demxsr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

All my RW pieces have cracked and deformed over the years. No accidents, 100% garage kept. Its cheaper, but you'll pay for it after a few years. Fitment wasn't great from the get go, but I was able to force/bend or cut parts to make them fit. The resin they use is pretty low quality and can't handle higher temps. My diffuser went over its transitional glass temperature near my exhaust tips not long after I installed it. This caused weave imprinting and deformation in that area. And since then I've had delamination and cracking issues in different areas on the diffuser, front lip and splitters.

Its almost impossible for a company to make high quality CF parts that will fit and last like OEM, while having them being as cheap as RW. They use fiberglass backing in some of their pieces, which actually can be harmful to the part. And it's obvious they do wet hand lay ups which is very bad for fiber to resin ratio. I've seen some posts that their CF GTS hood is actually heavier than the stock aluminum one, that should tell you something.

I'm not here saying they are a bad company or people or anything. But its cheap for a reason. I bought a lot of their stuff because they were so cheap compared to the competition. I'm guessing in another year or 2 i'll have to throw all of it away or do substantial repairs. Edit: this isn't ideal compared to being able to resell high quality parts, that are well taken care of, later on to recoup some of the cost.

Last edited by Demxsr; 10-08-2020 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #42
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demxsr View Post
All my RW pieces have cracked and deformed over the years. No accidents, 100% garage kept. Its cheaper, but you'll pay for it after a few years. Fitment wasn't great from the get go, but I was able to force/bend or cut parts to make them fit. The resin they use is pretty low quality and can't handle higher temps. My diffuser went over its transitional glass temperature near my exhaust tips not long after I installed it. This cause weave imprinting and deformation in that area. And since then I've had delamination and cracking issues in different areas on the diffuser, front lip and splitters.

Its almost impossible for a company to make high quality CF parts that will fit and last like OEM, while having them being as cheap as RW. They use fiberglass backing in some of their pieces, which actually can be harmful to the part. And its obvious they do wet hand lay ups which is very bad for fiber to resin ratio. I've seen some posts that their CF GTS hood is actually heavier than the stock aluminum one, that should tell you something.

I'm not here saying they are a bad company or people or anything. But its cheap for a reason. I bought a lot of their stuff because they were so cheap compared to the competition. I'm guessing in another year or 2 ill have to throw all of it away or do substantial repairs.
I think you're thinking of the 2m hood being more than oem? I've heard that one is pretty heavy. I have a cf rw hood on my m3 and it was around 21lbs with the vent
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #43
Demxsr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
I think you're thinking of the 2m hood being more than oem? I've heard that one is pretty heavy. I have a cf rw hood on my m3 and it was around 21lbs with the vent
Ya you might be right. I read it in a GTS hood thread that people were talking about at length about RW's fitment issues. The rep or owner straight up told the guy not to buy his hood if he was worried about fitment. Either way, if all you are looking for is the look of carbon fiber, and not worried about the quality and fitment, then they are one are a cheap option.
Appreciate 0