European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

01-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
TurbodTurtle
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

M4 Door card strip down

I am wondering if anyone has done this before? I know what you are all thinking but bare with me...

My leather has basically failed on the passenger side door panels, it is extended leather so the whole door is covered. Unfortunately I have Approved Used Warranty which very clearly states in the book...'TRIM, UPHULSTERY and COSMETIC FINISHES' are not covered. Which annoys me a little as it is a manufacturing defect, but hey, what can you do. Buy second hand, deal with the small issues!

At the minute (in the UK) the only door cards that are full leather are completely black, where as mine are black with red centres. What I plan on doing is taking the door card and swapping the red section onto the new door card with the good leather...then add all my plastics and trim pieces.

So, has anyone had any experience dismantling one of the door cards?

Some photos for your viewing pleasure

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Something similar happened with a cayman that I owned that had full leather. The leather swelled after a soaking wet track day. Eventually it went back to normal on its own.

That said, I’m puzzled by the lifting of the leather below the rear (fixed) window.

I’d bring it to an upholsterer and get their opinion. Ideally you could inject glue into the air pockets or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
TurbodTurtle
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
Something similar happened with a cayman that I owned that had full leather. The leather swelled after a soaking wet track day. Eventually it went back to normal on its own.

That said, I’m puzzled by the lifting of the leather below the rear (fixed) window.

I’d bring it to an upholsterer and get their opinion. Ideally you could inject glue into the air pockets or something similar.
I've been to a few and all of them said it cannot be repaired and a retrim is required. I've managed to source a cheap donor door card to strip apart and see what's what.

I rarely have people in the back so I know it hasn't got wet. I am going to try a hair dryer on it and see if that does anything incase it has just swollen for some reason
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbodTurtle View Post
I've been to a few and all of them said it cannot be repaired and a retrim is required. I've managed to source a cheap donor door card to strip apart and see what's what.

I rarely have people in the back so I know it hasn't got wet. I am going to try a hair dryer on it and see if that does anything incase it has just swollen for some reason
Make your life easier and just order part 51418063627
Door panel, leather, front left
SAKHIR ORANGE

Considering the prices I have seen for parts like this new in EU, it’s not worth the hassle otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
TurbodTurtle
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Make your life easier and just order part 51418063627
Door panel, leather, front left
SAKHIR ORANGE

Considering the prices I have seen for parts like this new in EU, it’s not worth the hassle otherwise.
I did it today, they are riveted together but if someone can plastic weld you can probably do it.

I used a heat gun and a very small pin prick, they are back to how they should be and all fine now very happy.
Appreciate 0