Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
///MLourenco
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Bent Rim and Strut

I recently purchased a 2016 M4 from a non-BMW (Lexus) dealer. When I test drove the car I noticed the car pulled to the right. The car seemed is good shape so I assumed it only needed an alignment. When I took the car in for alignment the shop told me the strut and rim where bent. The also mentioned this is common occurrence in the Fxx gen cars. Since all the suspension components are aluminum. There’s’ no other visible damage on the car, so one can only assume this was from a bad pothole or maybe hit a curb. I was just wanted to know if this a common occurrence in this chassis.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I doubt this is a common occurrence at all (maybe if you take accidents into account).

It might have hit a pothole or a curb, but it must have been with a good amount of speed and it must have caught at a pretty bad angle.

Have you had a GOOD alignment shop take a look at it?
      04-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
///MLourenco
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Thank you Zamm3k, this was also my assumption as well. I can't imagine this be a regular occurrence with these type of cars without having it exposed all over boards. I was just very concerned when the shop stated they have seen multiple Fxx cars with bent suspension components. We don't necessarily have bad roads here, so the likelihood of hitting a bad pothole is probably very low. So my only assumption would have to be a curb of some sort. However this is probably not the norm for most people. Anyways, thank you for your response.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
wdskukm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 and Model P3D

A bent oem strut. Never seen that before. Maybe bent rim from a pothole.
Even for a aluminum suspension it takes a lot of force to bend that.