Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

01-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Dealer not wanting to CPO a used car

Hello, I hope I am posting in the right forum and not breaking any rules. I am seriously looking at a low mile 2016 M4, no competition with stage 3 Dinan. I think it is priced pretty well but when I asked dealer why they don't CPO it he gave me some BS answer. Would you consider this a red flag? It is a cheap car TBH. Factory warranty runs out in about 7 months.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
_robert_
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Heard that even if its coded, CPO isn't allowed. Has to be completely stock I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Bought a certified M4 and just found out it has a Dinan tune - how? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1480362
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _robert_ View Post
Heard that even if its coded, CPO isn't allowed. Has to be completely stock I think.
That makes sense, thanks. I think the salesperson is kind of idiot, he is not very familiar with BMW products and bullsh!ts a lot. Rubbing me the wrong way but I still think I am going for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

If it's certifiable and you're willing to pay the premium then I don't see why they wouldn't do it for you.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinstylez View Post
If it's certifiable and you're willing to pay the premium then I don't see why they wouldn't do it for you.
This ^^

Ask to speak directly to a manager (not the “idiot”) who can tell you if the car is really certifiable or not. It can cost a dealer anywhere from $2-4K to certify a car depending on what it needs though, so be prepared. If it were me and it was cheap enough, I’d take it as is with remainder of factory warranty and buy an aftermarket warranty to take over when factory warranty expires.
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

They are not supposed to certify a tuned car, including Dinan, no matter who you ask at the dealership, even if you ask nicely. Even if you somehow get them to do it, you risk BMW not honoring the warranty later. You’ll need to find an alternative car or live without the CPO.
      01-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
avex8
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3, 15 F80 M3, GLC 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
They are not supposed to certify a tuned car, including Dinan, no matter who you ask at the dealership, even if you ask nicely. Even if you somehow get them to do it, you risk BMW not honoring the warranty later. You'll need to find an alternative car or live without the CPO.
I bought my cpo 2015 m3 last year from a local dealer and I found out the car had Dinan tune, exhaust and suspension. Let's say something happened to my car, can I argue with dealer they CPO a tuned car?

There was another guy on the forum bought his cpo m4 from same dealership. He had problem with his car and the tech found out the car was running Dinan tune. So they end up bought back the car and give him a newer mode with lower mileage m4. I wonder if I can go back and do the same lol
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 09:43 PM   #9
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex8 View Post
Quote:
They are not supposed to certify a tuned car, including Dinan, no matter who you ask at the dealership, even if you ask nicely. Even if you somehow get them to do it, you risk BMW not honoring the warranty later. You'll need to find an alternative car or live without the CPO.
I bought my cpo 2015 m3 last year from a local dealer and I found out the car had Dinan tune, exhaust and suspension. Let's say something happened to my car, can I argue with dealer they CPO a tuned car?

There was another guy on the forum bought his cpo m4 from same dealership. He had problem with his car and the tech found out the car was running Dinan tune. So they end up bought back the car and give him a newer mode with lower mileage m4. I wonder if I can go back and do the same lol
You'll be up shits creek with BMW NA not honoring the CPO warranty. Technically the car should have never been a CPO in the 1st place with any DME tune.
RickFLM410954.50
      01-25-2019, 09:50 PM   #10
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:

They should not have CPOd that car. BMWNA may not honor the warranty and at a minimum the burden will be on you to prove the car was purchased as a CPO with the modifications already installed vs. you installing them after the purchase.
      01-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #11
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They are not supposed to certify a tuned car, including Dinan, no matter who you ask at the dealership, even if you ask nicely. Even if you somehow get them to do it, you risk BMW not honoring the warranty later. You’ll need to find an alternative car or live without the CPO.
It is a 2016 with about 26k miles and I am planning to keep it for as long as it runs. To your/anyone experience, are tunes cars more prone to failure? Perhaps a dumb question since tunes cars are more pushed to their limits....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 11:07 PM   #12
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
Quote:
It is a 2016 with about 26k miles and I am planning to keep it for as long as it runs. To your/anyone experience, are tunes cars more prone to failure? Perhaps a dumb question since tunes cars are more pushed to their limits....
If it's actually the Dinan stage 3, Dinan requires the Dinan heat exchanger to warranty their tune. If the car doesn't have the heat exchanger, it suggests the power output may be more than the car is spec'd to handle stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 11:17 PM   #13
ferrarifast
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 Comp xDrive Coupe

CPO Still Worth It?

Just wanted to chime in, CPO is now 1yr/Unlimited miles
I'm not sure how useful that will be for you, as this whole battle is after a one year warranty. CPO is going to be useful for people that drive a lot, I'm talking about Uber drivers here essentially. I doubt you're going to put 30k+ miles on the car.
You never know though, my car has been quite reliable actually. I took deliver of my 2018 M3 in November 2017, and have about 17,600 miles on the car. In that time frame I've needed a new oil cooler radiator (some rocks hit it) that was through insurance as it was outside influence; and back in December they had to change the entire head unit & com box (iPhone connectivity kept dropping, songs would cut out mid track, and I had to reconnect phone over & over again) Ever since they replaced it, it's been fine... I reckon that would've been like a 2-2500k repair if it were out of pocket. Mechanically the car is quite sound. But yeah, if CPO were still 4yr/50k miles it would make a lot more sense on a car like this. 1 yr unltd miles isn't much. I'm not sure about the extension, I know MB lets you extend CPO up to 3yrs/Unltd miles; maybe BMW does as well. Really depends on what this car is priced at frankly. If it's just 2-3k below a similar CPO car then i'd skip it. If it's substantially less than a CPO car then it might be worth swinging for.

EDIT: Just saw you're in the Houston area...mate be very careful of harvey damaged cars. BMW has got quite a strict standard for what can be CPO'd and you never know what the exact reason for the car not being eligible for CPO might mean. Carfax and Autocheck barely know anything about the car, and are frankly quite unreliable. I have a gut feeling that if it were possible to CPO the car in anyway, they would have done so. Especially since its a 2016 w low miles; all dealers know it's much easier to sell a CPO. My advice is to grill them to find the exact reason, and still take whatever reason they give you with a grain of salt.

also keep in mind if the 1200 mile break-in service isn't done to these cars, they can't be CPO'd

is it this car you're talking about OP? If so you're looking at probably an additional $5k for a CPO car
https://www.momentumbmw.net/used/BMW...ource=cars.com

also ask to see service history because that car has none available on the CarFax, see if dealer can access it via key-read.
quite a lot going on with the CarFax of that car. owner 2 only kept the car 3 months and put 900 miles give or take on the car.
You've got to ask for the story on this car...
Life is too short to list the non Ms

Last edited by ferrarifast; 01-25-2019 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #14
avex8
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3, 15 F80 M3, GLC 63

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They should not have CPOd that car. BMWNA may not honor the warranty and at a minimum the burden will be on you to prove the car was purchased as a CPO with the modifications already installed vs. you installing them after the purchase.
The same dealer did the Dinan install.... they are authorized Dinan dealer so I am surprised they still CPO the car. I still have the Dinan sticker on the door panel.
Appreciate 0