Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-24-2020, 01:30 AM   #1
deeldoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

For the past prolly 10k or so i get this wooshing/audible faint thud from somewhere under the car potentially in the rear when i get off the throttle abruptly or even on throttle quickly.

Also the car doesn't feel as connected, it almost seems like it takes a split second for everything to engage and the car to go when i step on it(this is not turbo lag). This is literally just any old movement even outside of boost.

This has me thinking my rear diff bushing is gone and turned into marshmallows. Everything feels lazy and like there is a bunch of slack back there. Also i do get some vibration nearing the 100 kph range in a set window and definitely a bit more pronounced at partial load.

For anyone who has had their diff bushing wear, have you had similar symptoms? Also have read that maybe some bolt/nut that connects the driveshaft to the diff might be the culprit?

Also what kind of labor hours am i looking at to replace the bushings/check the driveshaft are?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
NoSuchSol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 SO ZCP

I had it done under warranty so I can't say what the cost is, but some people said it was around 700-800.00 out of warranty. I would consider going to an outside mechanic if it happens again.

I need to look up my paperwork and see if they installed the newer part number over the one that would have been for my car (33177852495 is the original part and fluid filled) and the '18 and up were 33178094690)

On a side note, I still get some clunking on some abrupt shifts when the engine wasn't under much load.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
r0wr226.50

10-24-2020, 09:39 PM   #3
r0wr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSuchSol View Post
I had it done under warranty so I can't say what the cost is, but some people said it was around 700-800.00 out of warranty. I would consider going to an outside mechanic if it happens again.

I need to look up my paperwork and see if they installed the newer part number over the one that would have been for my car (33177852495 is the original part and fluid filled) and the '18 and up were 33178094690)

On a side note, I still get some clunking on some abrupt shifts when the engine wasn't under much load.
Thanks for posting. Please post the print our details from dealer!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:

I'm surprised the dealer replaced the bushing as its considered a wear and tear item. As I type this my car is at the shop for this exact fix. However, I went with Powerflex black bushing as its starting to see more track time.

It's about a $105 part + $450/500 in labor.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
deeldoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
Quote:

I'm surprised the dealer replaced the bushing as its considered a wear and tear item. As I type this my car is at the shop for this exact fix. However, I went with Powerflex black bushing as its starting to see more track time.

Do you get alot of movement in the back anytime you let off throttle? Can you feel the clunk?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Do you get alot of movement in the back anytime you let off throttle? Can you feel the clunk?
Yes & yes
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #7
deeldoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes & yes
Did you get vibration when trying to accelerate at some speeds? Or was it strictly clunking?

I feel my driveshaft is not balanced somehow. Its only at some speed on acceleration, car pulls strong as hell the same way it would without the symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #8
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes & yes
Did you get vibration when trying to accelerate at some speeds? Or was it strictly clunking?

I feel my driveshaft is not balanced somehow. Its only at some speed on acceleration, car pulls strong as hell the same way it would without the symptoms.
No vibration. Just clunking.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
NoSuchSol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 SO ZCP

Quote:

The dealership has gone beyond the norm considering that I am the second owner. I'm now out of warranty... so they'll make some money back on me. lol.

I plan on getting under the car and looking at the other bushings to see if anything else is in need of replacement.
Appreciate 0