Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #67
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
600
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 zcp
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

There should be no hate! Anytime car guy engineers can pull one over on the bean counters, we should all be happy.
Appreciate 3
jmg9519.00

      02-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #68
chetman7
Lieutenant
117
Rep
522
Posts

Drives: F80 m3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

I actually went the other way

Had one of the first F32 435ix to hit NY bsck in late 2013. This past summer was looking to trade it in after hitting 65k miles

Went to a local dealership who had several low mile hellcats. Could get past the crappy interior...and they wouldn't let me test drive it.

As soon as I was walking back to my car to leave a black m3 caught my eye and left with it.

No regrets
Appreciate 3
jmg9519.00
AlterZgo798.50

      02-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #69
Gear Grinder Brendan
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 F80
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Personally never would but a similar question came up among my friends and me. We did a poll to see if our friends would rather have an M4 or a Demon.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 01:12 AM   #70
JonCNY
Private
United_States
8
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

I sold my SRT8 to get my M4 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #71
AlterZgo
Major
799
Rep
1,284
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 6MT, 2010 535i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Irvine, CA to Gilbert, AZ

iTrader: (0)

These cars are so different. I personally would never take any of these over an M3, though I have to say I listened to the stereo system in one of these... forget if it was a Challenger or Charger... but that stereo was pretty awesome with serious near aftermarket stereo levels of bass.

With that said, it is way too big and styling way too ponderous for me to even consider it.

On another note, it is also very disappointing that its underpinnings are based on a 30+ year old Mercedes E class platform. I mean a 300E back in 1986 was a sweet ride and all, but 30 years??? I guess it's a testament to Mercedes that they were able to engineer a platform that, to this day is able ot withstand 700+ hp, but c'mon bean counters spend a few bucks to buy or engineer a new platform. Maybe then the car won't have to be so gigantic.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #72
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
9519
Rep
10,430
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
These cars are so different. I personally would never take any of these over an M3, though I have to say I listened to the stereo system in one of these... forget if it was a Challenger or Charger... but that stereo was pretty awesome with serious near aftermarket stereo levels of bass.

With that said, it is way too big and styling way too ponderous for me to even consider it.

On another note, it is also very disappointing that its underpinnings are based on a 30+ year old Mercedes E class platform. I mean a 300E back in 1986 was a sweet ride and all, but 30 years??? I guess it's a testament to Mercedes that they were able to engineer a platform that, to this day is able ot withstand 700+ hp, but c'mon bean counters spend a few bucks to buy or engineer a new platform. Maybe then the car won't have to be so gigantic.
As someone in their 40's, a system with aftermarket levels of bass is not only unappealing but silly. There was a time in my life where earth shaking bass attracted the type of attention that the young adult in me craved so desperately. Only in hindsight do I realize that the eye rolls were not actually signs of approval, envy, nor admiration. It goes to show who the target demographic is. I do appreciate, however, the irony that the 20 and 30 year olds are going down the same path of hearing loss and tinnitus as I am! I'll see you all in hell kids, till then get off my lawn!
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPE | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates | PFC-08
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 1
M370z58.00

      02-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #73
TX PETE
Enlisted Member
9
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I’m a gear head. If my goal was to roll race the hell out of it in Mexico....then Maybe I’d get it. Pulley and a tune $1500-3k and add 150-200whp......I love the m3, but it seems these cars don’t hold value like they used too?? The performance parts have a tax that are absurd but I’ve still found myself buying ($2400 Dinan axle back).. that being said, why not make the comparison? I have never owned a Dodge, but the Hellcat is not your standard car. It’s like saying a 335 is an m3. The standard v6 or srt8 challenger/charger is not a hellcat. If I ever changed, it would be a Z06vette or gt500 for the record.

Last edited by TX PETE; 02-25-2019 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #74
AlterZgo
Major
799
Rep
1,284
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 6MT, 2010 535i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Irvine, CA to Gilbert, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
As someone in their 40's, a system with aftermarket levels of bass is not only unappealing but silly. There was a time in my life where earth shaking bass attracted the type of attention that the young adult in me craved so desperately. Only in hindsight do I realize that the eye rolls were not actually signs of approval, envy, nor admiration. It goes to show who the target demographic is. I do appreciate, however, the irony that the 20 and 30 year olds are going down the same path of hearing loss and tinnitus as I am! I'll see you all in hell kids, till then get off my lawn!
I get that. But I run subs in my car now not to impress anyone but because I like good clean bass. I keep windows rolled up, though I'm sure people around me are rolling their eyes. I put this in the same category as loud exhausts. Sounds bad ass to me, but probably annoys some people. With that said, I've had so many people approve and give me thumbs up for my loud exhaust.

On the one hand, I get it that it seems juvenile. On the other hand, part of maturing is, of course, being comfortable enough in your own skin to not give a fvck about what others think.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #75
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
9519
Rep
10,430
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
I get that. But I run subs in my car now not to impress anyone but because I like good clean bass. I keep windows rolled up, though I'm sure people around me are rolling their eyes. I put this in the same category as loud exhausts. Sounds bad ass to me, but probably annoys some people. With that said, I've had so many people approve and give me thumbs up for my loud exhaust.

On the one hand, I get it that it seems juvenile. On the other hand, part of maturing is, of course, being comfortable enough in your own skin to not give a fvck about what others think.
I ran subs. Lots of subs. The thing about bass is that you tend to not "hear" bass as much as highs, so we can tend to turn it up, which actually causes more damage than usual. I was a bass freak at a young age, I liked to bump the music, like you not necessarily for others to hear, but for me to enjoy. The irony is that now that I am older, I like balanced sounds more. Nowadays I turn the bass down to balanced levels where it doesn't overpower the music. My M3 CS and my i3 both have the Harmon Kardon systems which deliver plenty of bass which I turn to the middle setting. So I wouldn't need subs.
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPE | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates | PFC-08
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #76
gasnet
Second Lieutenant
gasnet's Avatar
United_States
123
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Maybe if i moved to the deep south and grew a mullet. Hellcat would blend right in.
__________________
Garage
2014 Z4 35is RIP /2016 Z4 28i RIP
2015 335i RIP
2016 Audi A7
2018 Genesis G80
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:05 PM   #77
PhatLyfe
Captain
PhatLyfe's Avatar
United_States
724
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Somerset County

iTrader: (0)

Nice joke
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:50 AM   #78
jpy1980
Major
jpy1980's Avatar
United_States
799
Rep
1,310
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Hmm I saw a widebody new charger hellcat in black the other day and man o man did it sound scary and had presence. With those updated lights and a manual...gotta admit that I Went on the dodge website that night.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #79
Mr Pete
Captain
Mr Pete's Avatar
United_States
423
Rep
644
Posts

Drives: M2C 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (1)

I know someone who traded a M4 Comp for a Red Eye. Not exactly a hellcat, but almost same. But I was more confused when he got the M4, because he owns American muscle cars.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST