Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #45
hellokitty
hello kitty oke ??
hellokitty's Avatar
North Korea
1145
Rep
2,062
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Has anybody who has seen a failed charge cooler looked a bit deeper to possibly determine where the leak/failure is occurring inside the charge cooler? Does it have to do with the plastic end tanks (I would think not)? Something with the internal fin design? Where is the weak link in the OEM design and how did the aftermarket options (CSF or Forge) address this weak link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Had the same issue with the shop's M4, not sure what caused the leak (car was completely stock).
We have not had any issues since upgrading to the CSF cooler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Has anybody who has seen a failed charge cooler looked a bit deeper to possibly determine where the leak/failure is occurring inside the charge cooler? Does it have to do with the plastic end tanks (I would think not)? Something with the internal fin design? Where is the weak link in the OEM design and how did the aftermarket options (CSF or Forge) address this weak link?
Probably internal fin design flaw. Coolant got into the intake manifold. The only way I see that happening is fluid is getting mixed after the air enter the radiator core and spilling into the cool side before flooding the intake manifold.

If the coolant leaks out of the expansion tank, then I'm not sure how that would make its way into the intake tract so I am thinking the actual stock heat exchanger is the issue here.
__________________

2012 335iS DCT / MHD / E50 Protune by Wedge / RB 1.75" Inlets / Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP / BMS OCC / Mishimoto OCC / Plugged Head Ports / RB PCV / N20 TMAP / VRSF DCI / VRSF 7" FMIC / VRSF DP / ER CP & Tial BOV / Michelin PS4S / PR Coils / NGK 97506 @ .028 gap / M3 Suspension

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #46
jmciver
Lieutenant Colonel
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
816
Rep
1,650
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
2013 BMW X3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Well this thread officially has me paranoid.... Well not really, but it had me curious enough to at least go check my expansion tank . Fortunately my level is fine and has not changed.

One thing I find interesting is the number of people in this thread that responded who have had this issue, in most cases being fixed under warranty. While the enthusiast community on the forums is only a small subset of all S55 owners, the responses still seemed rather high even for such a small sample size. It makes me wonder how often this has occurred and if there are any trends (like a bad production batch possibly, etc).
__________________
///M3 COMPETITION 6MT - 2017 F80 Smoked Topaz Metallic
BM3 / MP-HAS / GC Camber Plates / Carbonstructure Interior / OEM Blackline Tail Lights
X7 XDrive 40i ///M-SPORT - 2020 G07 Arctic Grey Metallic

X3 - 2013 F25 Titanium Silver Metallic (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #47
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
WeekendWarriorz's Avatar
430
Rep
866
Posts

Drives: 2006 Z4M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Well this thread officially has me paranoid.... Well not really, but it had me curious enough to at least go check my expansion tank . Fortunately my level is fine and has not changed.

One thing I find interesting is the number of people in this thread that responded who have had this issue, in most cases being fixed under warranty. While the enthusiast community on the forums is only a small subset of all S55 owners, the responses still seemed rather high even for such a small sample size. It makes me wonder how often this has occurred and if there are any trends (like a bad production batch possibly, etc).
I was surprised, I could not find anything related to this issue and when i made the thread seems like this is common but unspoken of. Kind of hard to believe cause this can hydrolock the engine and the water could potentially cause rod bearing/engine failure as the oil will be derived of its lubrication purpose.
__________________
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Imola Red, FBO VF-Engineering, e85 Flex Fuel-Sold
2012 BMW 135i N55 DCT Alpine White/Coral Red, FBO, TBI, Full e85, JB4 BEF-Sold
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Black-Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #48
damageprone
Captain
543
Rep
998
Posts

Drives: '15 F80
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Casino

iTrader: (1)

This makes me paranoid now since one time I got a low coolant warning a year ago. BMW topped off the fluid (very little) and it never came back.

I would check it as my warranty ends the end of this month but it's currently in for a leaking turbo!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #49
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
WeekendWarriorz's Avatar
430
Rep
866
Posts

Drives: 2006 Z4M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageprone View Post
This makes me paranoid now since one time I got a low coolant warning a year ago. BMW topped off the fluid (very little) and it never came back.

I would check it as my warranty ends the end of this month but it's currently in for a leaking turbo!
Coolant is different from this, if this goes low you will not get a warning or anything.
__________________
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Imola Red, FBO VF-Engineering, e85 Flex Fuel-Sold
2012 BMW 135i N55 DCT Alpine White/Coral Red, FBO, TBI, Full e85, JB4 BEF-Sold
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Black-Sold
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #50
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
7546
Rep
7,805
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 20 C63S, 212S
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
I was surprised, I could not find anything related to this issue and when i made the thread seems like this is common but unspoken of. Kind of hard to believe cause this can hydrolock the engine and the water could potentially cause rod bearing/engine failure as the oil will be derived of its lubrication purpose.
I'm surprised as well. I've been around here pretty much since the beginning of the F80,82,83 deliveries and am on my third one. This is the first I've heard of this problem. FWIW of course, it makes me wonder if it was just a bad batch of parts as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #51
Proctor750
Lieutenant
410
Rep
531
Posts

Drives: E30 M3
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hattie B's

iTrader: (0)

Can anyone who this happened to (or even just loss of the coolant) please post year/mileage?

It looks like the forge piece is about 200 bucks cheaper but why is it solid welded at both ends where the CSF looks to be bolted with gasket? Does that mean the CSF "core" is serviceable?

Last edited by Proctor750; 01-09-2019 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #52
M3anPower
Banned
169
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
Can anyone who this happened to (or even just loss of the coolant) please post year/mileage?

It looks like the forge piece is about 200 bucks cheaper but why is it solid welded at both ends where the CSF looks to be bolted with gasket? Does that mean the CSF "core" is serviceable?
No. It means CSF are lazy to do their product in one piece.
Appreciate 3
domino_z1093.50
guess2098314.00

      01-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #53
FAKE__NEWS
Second Lieutenant
60
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Coolant is different from this, if this goes low you will not get a warning or anything.
If the intercooler reservoir goes dry and it tries to pump you will get a drivetrain malfunction and it'll throw a code.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #54
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
WeekendWarriorz's Avatar
430
Rep
866
Posts

Drives: 2006 Z4M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKE__NEWS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Coolant is different from this, if this goes low you will not get a warning or anything.
If the intercooler reservoir goes dry and it tries to pump you will get a drivetrain malfunction and it'll throw a code.
It didn't throw codes and it was running dry for weeks
__________________
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Imola Red, FBO VF-Engineering, e85 Flex Fuel-Sold
2012 BMW 135i N55 DCT Alpine White/Coral Red, FBO, TBI, Full e85, JB4 BEF-Sold
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Black-Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:15 AM   #55
Proctor750
Lieutenant
410
Rep
531
Posts

Drives: E30 M3
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hattie B's

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
It didn't throw codes and it was running dry for weeks
year/mileage?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:55 AM   #56
milk242
Captain
166
Rep
709
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (3)

Just looked at my charge air cooler reservoir and it looks pretty empty to me. I have a Sept 2015 build with 25k miles.

Will need to schedule an appointment with the dealer sigh.
__________________
14 S4 (sold)
16 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #57
mfurse
Second Lieutenant
Australia
129
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC

iTrader: (0)

This thread made me paranoid enough to go check the coolant in both expansion tanks.

The difference between Min and Max isn't much. The little disk measuring device in each tank is maybe 6-10mm between the Min and Max levels:

Min _____/| Max

Both mine were showing in between the levels. I will just check each regularly.

(2015 Oct Build, LCI M3 with 22,000KM).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #58
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
WeekendWarriorz's Avatar
430
Rep
866
Posts

Drives: 2006 Z4M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
It didn't throw codes and it was running dry for weeks
year/mileage?
2018, 15k
__________________
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Imola Red, FBO VF-Engineering, e85 Flex Fuel-Sold
2012 BMW 135i N55 DCT Alpine White/Coral Red, FBO, TBI, Full e85, JB4 BEF-Sold
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Black-Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #59
jpy1980
Major
jpy1980's Avatar
United_States
799
Rep
1,315
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Hmmm I just checked mine as well and it was empty. No codes or anything. Car seemed to run fine too. I just added some distilled water to the right level and made a call to my service dept. will keep you guys updated.

2015 M3 with 41k miles
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #60
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
WeekendWarriorz's Avatar
430
Rep
866
Posts

Drives: 2006 Z4M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Hmmm I just checked mine as well and it was empty. No codes or anything. Car seemed to run fine too. I just added some distilled water to the right level and made a call to my service dept. will keep you guys updated.

2015 M3 with 41k miles
Start the car to operating ticket and feel the charge air cooler, it should be cold unless there's no fluid in there
__________________
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Imola Red, FBO VF-Engineering, e85 Flex Fuel-Sold
2012 BMW 135i N55 DCT Alpine White/Coral Red, FBO, TBI, Full e85, JB4 BEF-Sold
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Black-Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #61
jpy1980
Major
jpy1980's Avatar
United_States
799
Rep
1,315
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Start the car to operating ticket and feel the charge air cooler, it should be cold unless there's no fluid in there
Got it. I already had filled it up but the next time I see it empty Iíll try it. Now when I say empty, I wasnít completely sure it was empty empty but the bottom yellow fluid level indicator seemed dry. Maybe there was fluid below that. Probably took about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of distilled water? Not too sure as I have a distilled water jug in my garage I keep for occasions like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #62
milk242
Captain
166
Rep
709
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Start the car to operating ticket and feel the charge air cooler, it should be cold unless there's no fluid in there
Got it. I already had filled it up but the next time I see it empty I'll try it. Now when I say empty, I wasn't completely sure it was empty empty but the bottom yellow fluid level indicator seemed dry. Maybe there was fluid below that. Probably took about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of distilled water? Not too sure as I have a distilled water jug in my garage I keep for occasions like this.
Mine was visually like that too. After I drove a bit and parked the charge air cooler was hot.
__________________
14 S4 (sold)
16 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #63
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
WeekendWarriorz's Avatar
430
Rep
866
Posts

Drives: 2006 Z4M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Start the car to operating ticket and feel the charge air cooler, it should be cold unless there's no fluid in there
Got it. I already had filled it up but the next time I see it empty I'll try it. Now when I say empty, I wasn't completely sure it was empty empty but the bottom yellow fluid level indicator seemed dry. Maybe there was fluid below that. Probably took about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of distilled water? Not too sure as I have a distilled water jug in my garage I keep for occasions like this.
Mine was visually like that too. After I drove a bit and parked the charge air cooler was hot.
Yep then yours is leaking into the intake manifold like this car! Service center ASAP!
__________________
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Imola Red, FBO VF-Engineering, e85 Flex Fuel-Sold
2012 BMW 135i N55 DCT Alpine White/Coral Red, FBO, TBI, Full e85, JB4 BEF-Sold
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Black-Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #64
///M///
Brigadier General
///M///'s Avatar
1735
Rep
3,643
Posts

Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Philly

iTrader: (6)

Checked mine. See picture. The fluid is level with the top of that yellow contraption in there. Itís hard to see in there so someone please clarify where do you measure level? Is it that black round dot on top (circled in red) or is the measurement on that yellow contraption?

Thanks.
Attached Images
 
__________________
=========================
2016 F80 M3 AW/SO (Manual) - Picked up at the Welt 08/28/15

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 2
FSociety3494.00
kyleb350195.50

      01-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #65
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
WeekendWarriorz's Avatar
430
Rep
866
Posts

Drives: 2006 Z4M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Checked mine. See picture. The fluid is level with the top of that yellow contraption in there. It’s hard to see in there so someone please clarify where do you measure level? Is it that black round dot on top (circled in red) or is the measurement on that yellow contraption?

Thanks.
The fluid looks full, if anything you can add a tiny bit then drive for a few days and look for a change in height. But be sure to check the fluid at the same temperature as you filled it
__________________
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Imola Red, FBO VF-Engineering, e85 Flex Fuel-Sold
2012 BMW 135i N55 DCT Alpine White/Coral Red, FBO, TBI, Full e85, JB4 BEF-Sold
2006 Z4 M Roadster Black/Black-Sold
Appreciate 1
///M///1734.50

      01-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #66
///M///
Brigadier General
///M///'s Avatar
1735
Rep
3,643
Posts

Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Philly

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
The fluid looks full, if anything you can add a tiny bit then drive for a few days and look for a change in height. But be sure to check the fluid at the same temperature as you filled it
Thanks. This was checked on a cold car. So that yellow thing is the measure with the bottom flat portion being the low mark and the top being full with the threads inbetween the indicator marks? Does this take regular BMW coolant that you use in the radiator?

Thanks.
__________________
=========================
2016 F80 M3 AW/SO (Manual) - Picked up at the Welt 08/28/15

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST