proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2018 M550i, 2022 M4

Another BavSound Underseat Ghost Subwoofer Review

I currently have the OEM Harmon Kardon set up in the car. After reading reviews for a while, I decided to pull the trigger on the BavSound Ghost subwoofers.

The install was very easy. I swapped out the OEM subwoofers, right inside the car and did not have to take out the entire enclosure that holds the speaker. There was more than enough room to work with, under the seat, as to not pull everything out.

The Bavsound subwoofers have a padding that is attached around the entire speaker and looks almost the same size as the OEM padding that is around the speaker. They also send an extra weather strip to put around the speaker, so that the speaker sits tighter. I decided to put the additional weatherstrip on driver side, and install the passenger side without the weather strip, just to try out the difference in sound. Once installed I also noticed that the grille that protects the speaker, actually lays right on top of the speaker, once bolted down. The grille does not touch the OEM speaker. I found this to be very odd. Bavsound confirmed that this is okay.

I put everything back together and decided to listen. As most people have said, the real difference is felt once the volume is above 50%. The speakers are a lot more "Punchy". The Bass has become a lot more clear.

I did notice that the passenger side rattled a lot more than the driver side. I figured that it was due to the fact that I did not add the weatherstrip. I also noticed that the passenger side rattled a bit as well, which I was not too happy with.

The first thing that I thought of doing is ordering dynamat, and adding it under the speakers. I did some research to see if people had good results with this, and for some reason could not find anyone that has added dynamat with the Ghost subwoofers. Most people add the dynamat when they do the Stage One upgrades, but I did not see anyone mention it with the Ghost Subwoofers. I was a bit surprised by this.

I order a few squares of Dynamat and had the chance to install them yesterday. I installed Dynamat inside the car, without removing the enclosure. The difference is very noticeable. The rattling has become a lot less (Especially due to the fact that I added the weatherstrip on passenger side), and the bass has become even louder. I am now very happy with the subwoofers. My suggestion to anyone that is going to be installing these speakers, is to also install the Dynamat.

The only issue I have now, is that when the music goes above 75%, the regular speakers start to lose quality while the Ghost Subwoofers start to actually wake up and sound even better. I guess I will have to do the Stage One Speaker Upgrade, to make sure that the regular speakers can hold quality at higher volumes.

05-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Great write up. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 03:59 AM   #3
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Great write up. I've been thinking of doing this upgrade myself once I have my next vehicle.

Two questions:
1. Do you have to remove the seats in order to install as per BavSound?
2. Can you outline where you installed the Dynamat?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post
Great write up. I've been thinking of doing this upgrade myself once I have my next vehicle.

Two questions:
1. Do you have to remove the seats in order to install as per BavSound?
2. Can you outline where you installed the Dynamat?
You do not have to remove the seats completely. Just remove 4 bolts and the seat will be able to lean all the way back, which gives more than enough room to work with the subwoofers.

The Dynamat is installed in to the enclosure that holds the speakers. Once you unbolt the speaker, you put the dynamat right underneath.
      05-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Great idea with the Dynomat!

I have the subs plus the Stage One upgrade - I can't recommend them enough!

-X-
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
Acree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoce1 View Post
I guess I will have to do the Stage One Speaker Upgrade, to make sure that the regular speakers can hold quality at higher volumes.
And this is how modding becomes addicting...

Thanks for the review!

Past
03 MB E55 AMG, 16 Grigio Medio F80 M3, 11 E92 M3, 13 BRZ, 06 Evo IX, 05 350Z
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
And this is how modding becomes addicting...

Thanks for the review!
Yea...I have learned from my Previous e46 M3, that the list of mods seems to never run out. You make a full list of stuff, and once you complete that list, you have a second list double the length of mods.....It is fun, though....so cant complain too much.
      05-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

I had some time to install the gasket material on the BavSound subs and I had some extra Dynamat in the garage. I installed the Dynamat and the gasket and the bass has more punch but my wife was outside the car when I was listening inside the car and she said it sounds horrible from the outside. I stepped outside the car and when the bass note is played there was a rattling noise coming from the bottom of the car. Reminded me of a license plate frame vibrating on the back of a car when a bass note was played. I was wondering if you are having the same issue. I could not hear the rattling while inside the car only when I was outside. My thoughts are, the bottom of the sub enclosure has a hole in it and the floor board where the sub enclosure attaches also has a hole. Now the hole inside the sub enclosure is now closed do to the Dynamat being placed over the hole. I am thinking I need to either remove the Dynamat completely or at least from over the hole in sub enclosure.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #9
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
I had some time to install the gasket material on the BavSound subs and I had some extra Dynamat in the garage. I installed the Dynamat and the gasket and the bass has more punch but my wife was outside the car when I was listening inside the car and she said it sounds horrible from the outside. I stepped outside the car and when the bass note is played there was a rattling noise coming from the bottom of the car. Reminded me of a license plate frame vibrating on the back of a car when a bass note was played. I was wondering if you are having the same issue. I could not hear the rattling while inside the car only when I was outside. My thoughts are, the bottom of the sub enclosure has a hole in it and the floor board where the sub enclosure attaches also has a hole. Now the hole inside the sub enclosure is now closed do to the Dynamat being placed over the hole. I am thinking I need to either remove the Dynamat completely or at least from over the hole in sub enclosure.
I did not notice this. I will try to listen to it this weekend, and report back. I know that there is a hole on the side of the enclosure that leads the base outwards in to the footwell. I did make sure to keep that hole open. It is a big hole, that is aimed towards the doors.
      05-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #10
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep

Not the big hole that points towards the door but at the bottom of the sub enclosure that meets up with the floorboard of the vehicle. Since my last post I went back to the vehicle and listened to the bass notes. While laying on the garage floor. On the outside of the vehicle below the sub / seats there is a black panel that is vibrating along with sills below the drivers side door. Later in the week or this weekend I am going to open up the Dynamat at the hole on the bottom of the sub enclosure. With that being said there is a noticeable sub punch since I installed the gasket and Dynamat.

Last edited by Egrunt; 05-12-2016 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #11
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep

Here is another update, in my prior postings when I listened to the stereo it has been with vehicle engine off. Today I started the vehicle and the rattling / vibrating I am hearing from the bass notes is now concealed with the engine running. It can still be heard but is reduced greatly with the vehicle engine running. My main concern is when I am sitting at a traffic light and people are in close proximity of the M3 hear this rattling sound. I am thinking about applying Dynamat below the sub enclosure on the floor board to see if it will help reduce or even eliminate the rattling from floor boards below the subs. My only concern is the thickness of the Dynamat while not huge I am worried it might interfere with the placement / fitment of the sub enclosure with the floorboard.

Last edited by Egrunt; 05-12-2016 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #12
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Here is another update, in my prior postings when I listened to the stereo it has been with vehicle engine off. Today I started the vehicle and the rattling / vibrating I am hearing from the bass notes is now concealed with the engine running. It can still be heard but is reduced greatly with the vehicle engine running. My main concern is when I am sitting at a traffic light and people are in close proximity of the M3 hear this rattling sound. I am thinking about applying Dynamat below the sub enclosure on the floor board to see if it will help reduce or even eliminate the rattling from floor boards below the subs. My only concern is the thickness of the Dynamat while not huge I am worried it might interfere with the placement / fitment of the sub enclosure with the floorboard.
Did you pay attention to the noise, before installing the Dynamat? If the bottom of the enclosure is the reason for the rattling, my guess would be that the Dynamat, should have made that noise a bit quieter.

I still haven't had the time to listen to the car, so can not report. Been a bit busy with work. I will definitely give it a listen on Saturday, and report back. Hopefully, this is something we can figure out. I definitely hate the rattling noise.

Back 10 year ago when I had a Lincoln LS, I installed two subwoofers in the Trunk and ended up spending 2 straight days, Dynamating the entire trunk, just to try to get rid of any rattling. Probably ended up putting over 50lbs of Dynamat.
      05-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #13
Inprogress
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Im having the same issue with the rattling from the passenger side, I've been thinking i installed it incorrectly or didn't tighten something down. Would a dynamat door kit be sufficient enough material to dynamat the woofer? To clarify, you're adding dynamat directly under the woofer unit, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #14
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inprogress View Post
Im having the same issue with the rattling from the passenger side, I've been thinking i installed it incorrectly or didn't tighten something down. Would a dynamat door kit be sufficient enough material to dynamat the woofer? To clarify, you're adding dynamat directly under the woofer unit, right?
I purchased 2 sheets of 10'' x 10'' off of eBay, and it was more than enough. You install the dynamat right under the speaker, in to the enclosure.
      05-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #15
Inprogress
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I purchased 2 sheets of 10'' x 10'' off of eBay, and it was more than enough. You install the dynamat right under the speaker, in to the enclosure.
Can you explain how exactly the weather strip is installed?

I just ordered the dynamat, thanks for the suggestion!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #16
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I just gave it a listen. With the car running, I really did not notice any rattling. With the car off, I can hear the rattling, only when the music is almost at 100%, below 80%, no rattles. The rattling even at 90% wasn't too bad. I listened with the windows up and doors closed. You can actually hear the bass outside. Sounded pretty good to me. The minimum rattling, I do not think is possible to completely get rid off, due to the fact that the subwoofers are so close to the bottom of the car. I also have the side skirts installed on my car, and they might have been shaking and making some rattling noise as well.

I do not have much complains about the rattling noise though. 15 feet away from the car, it is almost impossible to hear, unless you really pay attention.
      05-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #17
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inprogress View Post
Can you explain how exactly the weather strip is installed?

I just ordered the dynamat, thanks for the suggestion!
The weatherstrip should be installed on to the speaker itself. On the outside edges, all around. I got the weather strip directly from Bavsound. Came with the Bavsound subwoofers.
      05-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #18
Inprogress
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The weatherstrip should be installed on to the speaker itself. On the outside edges, all around. I got the weather strip directly from Bavsound. Came with the Bavsound subwoofers.
Yeah mine did too, i don't remember why i didn't install it though. Bavsound sent me a youtube video that shows exactly how to do it, so i'll install it together with the dynamat when i get it next week. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #19
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Nice review. I like the idea on the dynamat and I agree its easy to intall the sub without taking out the sub enclosure.

Please do get the stage 1 speaker setup. It's more involved because of the door panels, but well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #20
MAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Agree - add in stage one and you will be very happy. As the months go by, I swear they continue to sound even better. Such a worthy upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #21
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Sorry to revive this thread, but I've had these subs in and out of my car on about 5 different occasions working to fine tune things. Before installing my stage 1, I went back and forth between the stock HK and Bavsound subs as I was initially rather disappointed with the Ghost subs.

Most of my disappointment came from thinking Bavsound had changed their design to include an integrated gasket (the thin black foam is definitely not a gasket!). If you are installing the Bavsound subs, make sure you add the thick rubber gaskets. If you don't have gaskets yet, stop what you're doing and get them from Bavsound or Amazon. Trust me.

For good measure, I added dynamat below the enclosure and rear heat vent. Also, since I had some extra rubber seal I added some of that around where the enclosure vent meets the frame...just to ensure it didn't rattle.

The system now sounds pretty fantastic. There is some audible noise outside the car at higher volumes, but this seems to be mostly due to a larger amounts of air moving from the enclosure into the rocker panel frame area. As mentioned above, this seems to be concealed when the engine is running so I'm not going to worry about it much.
Attached Images

01-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #22
matt@bavsound
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i

Thanks everyone for the thorough testing, photos and reviews! Wanted to add a few notes here for good measure:

When you pull out the factory driver, if there is a grey gasket pre-attached to the factory enclosure, then you won't need any additional gasket materials at all to seal the sub into the enclosure. Our woofers have the same surface as the OEM subs do to press against the seal. You do want to make sure to not tighten the screws down too much also - just make them snug, and then compression of the OEM gasket will do the rest. Tightening them down too much could warp the basket of your new Ghost Subs.

If there is not a factory gasket, or the factory one is damaged at all, then you would want to use the gasket we provide on the mounting surface of the enclosure to provide a good seal between the woofer and the enclosure. So, not necessary in most cases, necessary in some, and simply determined by what you see when you remove the factory woofer.

I also couldn't agree more that some Dynamat never hurts when it comes to preventing rattles here and there. Since the GhostSubs are giving you more output, there is certainly going to be more vibration, which will translate differently from car to car - you should really never hear any inside the vehicle, but the extra vibration could certainly cause the exhaust heat shield or plastic underbody panels to rattle a bit depending on how your specific car was built that specific day.

There's no harm whatsoever in completely removing the seat and enclosure, Dynamatting the floor pan and the inside of the enclosure, as well as adding more of a seal between the enclosure port and the car, but these are all additional steps that are entirely personal preference. The standard install works out excellently, but these above and beyond steps can never do anything but make the situation better! Every bit of energy that comes from the sub goes somewhere, so reducing the amount of energy that is vibrating either the floorpan or the enclosure will bring more sound energy to your ears...

We always appreciate our customers who go beyond to get the absolute best performance, whether it's with audio, engine, suspension, etc. There's the right way, and then there's the really right way. Both work, but the latter gives you maybe just that extra 1% and the piece of mind that you've gone to the utmost to squeeze out every bit of capability.

Let us know what you think!