Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-17-2020, 10:16 PM   #23
Kilabyte
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackF82 View Post
Going after cities is always a fail, you will spend more money in courts and possibly lawyers. Then at the end, if you win; your time, effort and legal costs are still your responsibility.
Agreed, I've bent a few wheels and destroyed some tires over the years and every time I was told to go yell at a wall. A year or two ago I read an article that there were something around say 2000 cases for damaged wheels against the city and they paid out on.....1.

S55, 2JZ
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 11:00 PM   #24
sna66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 SS on SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM3 View Post
Here's a pic from under the car
bruh, scariest shit I've seen this Halloween thus far
Appreciate 1
HyeM3196.50

10-17-2020, 11:06 PM   #25
HyeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Quote:
Going after cities is always a fail, you will spend more money in courts and possibly lawyers. Then at the end, if you win; your time, effort and legal costs are still your responsibility.
Agreed, I've bent a few wheels and destroyed some tires over the years and every time I was told to go yell at a wall. A year or two ago I read an article that there were something around say 2000 cases for damaged wheels against the city and they paid out on.....1.
Yeah I know cities are usually horrible about stuff like this but I was just thinking about it in case the dealership hits me with like a ridiculous 10k bill. But I agree with you guys
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 11:17 PM   #26
HyeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun Crankhub View Post
Likely just a pan thing, and the residual oil coating moving parts in the engine when you were pulling off.
Did low oil pressure warning come on at any point?
Yeah I ran over the rock and drove for like 20 seconds until I could turn off the road because I thought I destroyed my front bumper. Once I turned off the road the low oil pressure light came on and I immediately turned it off that exact second. Looked under the car and saw all the oil just absolutely pissing out from under the car like it was an oil waterfall. I'm pretty sure I turned it off in time judging by the amount of oil that came out after I shut it off
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 12:35 AM   #27
smuler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the only 335 to have a DCT was the 335is. My wife had a 335is Coupe but it was a 6MT.
In the US , maybe ?
Which Iím guessing youíre from , as you say 335is which UK (and Europe I think) sadly didnít get.
I hope your wife is still enjoying her manual experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 03:00 AM   #28
BayAreaM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, S63 AMG, G550, + more

Quote:
I have to disagree with you. I hit a pothole with my S63 on aftermarket wheels, bending two of them and popping two tires. Contacted the city and they sent me to their insurance company which pretty seamlessly paid out $3k+ in about 60 days start to finish.
Appreciate 1
Deezyc4.50

10-18-2020, 06:19 AM   #29
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3/2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaM4 View Post
Quote:
I have to disagree with you. I hit a pothole with my S63 on aftermarket wheels, bending two of them and popping two tires. Contacted the city and they sent me to their insurance company which pretty seamlessly paid out $3k+ in about 60 days start to finish.
Pothole is their fault. Errant rock is not unfortunately. My opinion of course.
      10-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #30
Reddevils7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun Crankhub View Post
Likely just a pan thing, and the residual oil coating moving parts in the engine when you were pulling off.
Did low oil pressure warning come on at any point?
Yeah I ran over the rock and drove for like 20 seconds until I could turn off the road because I thought I destroyed my front bumper. Once I turned off the road the low oil pressure light came on and I immediately turned it off that exact second. Looked under the car and saw all the oil just absolutely pissing out from under the car like it was an oil waterfall. I'm pretty sure I turned it off in time judging by the amount of oil that came out after I shut it off
how did you manage to put it into neutral to get it on the flatbed? did you have to restart the engine for a second? my biggest gripe with the dct is that the only parking release is under the car
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #31
BlackF82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Quote:
I shouldn't say always but rarely cases like yours are heard of. Its almost always a fail.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #32
HyeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
how did you manage to put it into neutral to get it on the flatbed? did you have to restart the engine for a second? my biggest gripe with the dct is that the only parking release is under the car
I couldn't get it in neutral I had to get a tow truck with dolly's to tow it to my house. So I was stuck on the side of the road for 3 hours until 4 am waiting for AAA to find a tow truck with dolly's🥴 and they couldn't find a flatbed with them so they had a tow truck come lift up the front and put dolly's on the rear and tow it to my house like that. Such a big pain in the ass
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #33
bsmf8x
Captain
United_States
Rep

Are you lowered?

don't mean to be pessimistic but someone I know who this happened to was lowered so insurance didn't cover it because he was supposed to tel them about mods or something.

This guy is also a bullshitter sometimes so who knows, but just wanted to put that out there. This happens to so many people and it's why I don't lower mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #34
HyeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
Are you lowered?

don't mean to be pessimistic but someone I know who this happened to was lowered so insurance didn't cover it because he was supposed to tel them about mods or something.

This guy is also a bullshitter sometimes so who knows, but just wanted to put that out there. This happens to so many people and it's why I don't lower mine.
It's lowered but nothing crazy and nothing illegal. Just enough to get rid of the wheel gap and I'm not tucking tire or anything. If I didn't have a front lip the ground clearance would be perfectly normal. That rock was so big it could've honestly happened to a stock ride height M3/M4. Here's a pic for reference
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bsmf8x347.50

10-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #35
bsmf8x
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
Are you lowered?

It's lowered but nothing crazy and nothing illegal. Just enough to get rid of the wheel gap and I'm not tucking tire or anything. If I didn't have a front lip the ground clearance would be perfectly normal. That rock was so big it could've honestly happened to a stock ride height M3/M4. Here's a pic for reference
ok he was slammed so maybe that's why insurance argued.

You look almost stock, my lip has the same clearance on stock suspension. Good luck
Appreciate 1
HyeM3196.50

10-18-2020, 04:01 PM   #36
CT_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Sorry to hear about your car. It could have happened to anyone of us. Wishing you the best to get it up and running again!
Appreciate 1
HyeM3196.50

10-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #37
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuler View Post
I hit a same size rock in my E92 335i , going about 50 mph. It was probably worse , because it damaged the DCT gearbox and subframe.
I went the insurance route , so it only cost he my deductible , plus an assessment fee from BMW.
I'm pretty sure that the only 335 to have a DCT was the 335is. My wife had a 335is Coupe but it was a 6MT.
For the US market, yes. Rest of the world (ECE) spec, no. You could get DCT in a N54 335i coupe from 07/08 onwards I believe
      10-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #38
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuler View Post
In the US , maybe ?
Which Iím guessing youíre from , as you say 335is which UK (and Europe I think) sadly didnít get.
I hope your wife is still enjoying her manual experience.
Yes, the 335is was a North America only car, with the specs requested specifically by BMW NA. It got the N54 engine while the rest of the line went to the N55. The bespoke stock exhaust had the most beautiful sound, with lots of burbles and pops when off the gas, one of the things that made us fall in love with that car, along with the Le Mans Blue paint, which was also unique to that model of E92. The exhaust was actually too loud for Germany and was illegal there.

Sadly, we didn't have the best of luck with that N54 engine, which was completely stock. The car did get tracked a fair amount, doing double duty until I got my M4 in 2016. We had so many problem with the car as a whole that were fixed under warranty that we decided to get an extended warranty. That more than paid for itself as the water pump failed, the second turbo (first was replaced under warranty), the coil packs, and finally, at only 70,000 miles, it spun a main rod bearing and the engine was replaced, all under the extended warranty.

She replaced the 335is in 2018 with an M3 CP, in Individual San Marino Blue with Individual Polar Blue contrasting stitching. But with this car she decided to go with the DCT.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #39
BayAreaM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, S63 AMG, G550, + more

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Pothole is their fault. Errant rock is not unfortunately. My opinion of course.
Agreed, sorry I thought it was a general statement that cities never pay out claims.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #40
HyeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update for anyone curious: ended up not taking it to the dealership because on Saturday they told me they wouldn't be able to get to it until next week and they wouldn't even give me a loaner because my cars more than 3 years old... It doesn't sit right with me that they refuse to give a loaner to someone with the current model M car that they would've hit with a $5k+ bill. So needless to say they lost my business.

So I took it to an Indy shop and they said the oil pan was shattered and needed to be replaced along with the metal protective cover. Good news is nothing else was damaged or banged up so I lucked out there. Bad news is it's going to cost $3k but I guess it could be worse. Do you guys think that's reasonable? This is what rainy day funds are for so I'm just glad it was nothing serious.

But this is the second time this year I've come across large debris in the road (some might remember the thread of me swerving to avoid a fallen tree in the road) and it's getting pretty old lol
Appreciate 2
9M71919.00

10-21-2020, 01:58 AM   #41
JagR2611
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Similar issue w/another car...

Quote:
Quote:
Is this typical? I am considering reporting the incident to MD but didn't think I would get very far. Out of curiosity...what evidence were you asked to provide??
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 05:06 AM   #42
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 BSM

All that and it didn't take out the DCT cooler?
      10-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #43
jmg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Update for anyone curious: ended up not taking it to the dealership because on Saturday they told me they wouldn't be able to get to it until next week and they wouldn't even give me a loaner because my cars more than 3 years old... It doesn't sit right with me that they refuse to give a loaner to someone with the current model M car that they would've hit with a $5k+ bill. So needless to say they lost my business.

So I took it to an Indy shop and they said the oil pan was shattered and needed to be replaced along with the metal protective cover. Good news is nothing else was damaged or banged up so I lucked out there. Bad news is it's going to cost $3k but I guess it could be worse. Do you guys think that's reasonable? This is what rainy day funds are for so I'm just glad it was nothing serious.

But this is the second time this year I've come across large debris in the road (some might remember the thread of me swerving to avoid a fallen tree in the road) and it's getting pretty old lol
You got lucky! I hit a similar sized rock but it damaged much more because it decided to hit everything on it's journey front to back including my MPE and diff. It also nudged the front bumper assembly up and damaged the two headlights. All in all, $35k worth of repairs and that's with the engine being 100% okay! It was covered by insurance thankfully. Here's a thread about it:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1550991

Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 1
HyeM3196.50

10-23-2020, 12:58 AM   #44
HyeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Went down to the shop today to take a look at the damage myself. If anyone's curious what a windowed oil pan look like here you go! They also turned a shard from the pan into a keychain for me which I think is hilarious and I might actually rock it lmao
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
jmg9530.50
9M71919.00
agentrnge188.00